Watch, Watched, Watching: The Workprint Prototype Version

RedEyedGhost

Additionally, Neo Poldark's season 2 just started showing on PBS.  I don't know if I have the patience to view this first episode which was pretty widely panned both in the UK and now, here (USA).

Supposedly it gets better after the first episode.  Don't know.

I liked the original BBC - PBS Poldark so much back in the day, and then the books . . . this just doesn't have the zing and zizz.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:
  Hide contents

The Italian mob was in the county in the last couple of seasons due to Vicki and her husband.  Not to mention the Irish Irish in Sons of Anarachy, which is when I gave up watching SOA.

The catfight the writers are trying to make with Vic and Donna, DO NOT LIKE!  It is not necessary.

Kinda of liking that so far (up to ep 8) the various threads of seaon 5 are not converging particularly.  At first, I didn't.  But the whole concept of Henry and Walt having their own arcs at this time without overlapping much, actually makes sense in the way that life works with close friends.  It also underlines that Cadee is working to have her own life that isn't defined by Walt.  All this works for Walt moving forward emotionally and psychically from his beloved wife's death.

So yah, it's working, I think.  But I just like all this scenery and the whole idea of an old-fashioned guy hero so maybe I'm not a good judge.

Spoiler

Yes, the Italian mob arc with Vic worked due to her backstory. The Wabash Blankenship/Nighthorse excuse for the Irish mob being in Absaroka county fell flat for me. Not to mention the leader of the Irish mob being extremely unbelievable. That was terrible casting.

Last season was more of an outlier in terms of the season's structure. This season is a return to earlier ones with a more episodic feel as opposed to the broad story arc over the entire season 4.

As much as I love Walt, he is really poor at parenting sometimes. Good thing Henry is there to smooth everything out.

I'm making my way through season 1 of Gomorrah. It is excellent.

10 hours ago, williamjm said:

While I thought Now You See Me 2 was still reasonably good fun I think the original was probably better in just about every respect. Of course, neither of them is worthy of any comparison to The Prestige. I agree The Illusionist did suffer in comparison to The Prestige, the main story was interesting enough but the magic in it felt a bit dull in comparison to the tricks in The Prestige.

It's not even the magic I was thinking of, more the story - it was just a cheesy romance really. And it just felt like nobody in the film was taking it very seriously. Almost as if it was 'made for TV' or something (not that that expression has the same negative meaning it did 20 years ago or whatever).

Nice to see all the love For Hell or High Water :D 

Question to you all, is any of you watching Quarry? I heard some good things about it, but there doesn't seem to be that much discussion about it on here.

On 27-9-2016 at 2:50 PM, James Arryn said:

Between the Rambo series and the Rocky series, does Stallone count as the master of narratives that are originally critical of the Old Glory cliche but get coopted into cookie cutter red white and blue pablum?

That might be a bit unfair on both I think. They both definitely drunk the Kool-Aid for a while (Rambo II-III, Rocky III-IV), but Rocky Balboa and Creed were far more critical of the American dream I'd say. Rambo went completely batshit for a while, but Rambo IV was pretty cynical.

And even in Rambo II, the government is portrayed as consisting of a bunch of primo douchebags and Rambo is a pretty tortured soul throughout (although people - as @polishgenius pointed out- always focus on the crazy roid muscles and the ridiculously big machine guns he wields). There is even that over the top speech about how Rambo wants for the country to love its veterans as much as the veterans love their country. So I think that the concept of Rambo in people's mind is far more 'Fuck Yeah America' than it actually is :) 

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Question to you all, is any of you watching Quarry? I heard some good things about it, but there doesn't seem to be that much discussion about it on here.

It's on my list.I'm just waiting for all 8 eps. to air before binge-watching.3 eps. have aired so far.:D

At present i've just started watching Weinberg (aka 'The Valley'), Germany's answer to 'Twin Peaks'.

It’s hella spooky, much like German fairy tales

German fairy tales are some of the most sinister and often brutal short stories, and Kromschröder confirms that The Valley plays with old tales that made expert use of woods, rivers and “bizarre mystic figures”.

It’s made by huge fans of Twin Peaks

Not that anyone would recommend anyone else model their series on something as distinct as Twin Peaks, but Kromschröder speaks of he and his creator’s unabashed love for Lynch’s classic drama.

He tells dramaquarterly.com: “At that time I was still a journalist but I loved that series. Those characters could only live and survive in US shows, but now we are trying to invent those types of characters ourselves in a German style. That’s something that really intrigued us with The Valley.”

I've gone through two movies on my stuff-I-should-have-seen-a-long-time-ago-list, first out was Cop Land. Which was very good with a pretty great cast. Stallone in particular was really good and he felt like natural pick for that role.

Then I watched Zodiac, which was also really good and really engaging. I'm not that knowledgeable about the Zodiac Killer aside from the basics, so it was interesting to learn a bit more about it. It definitely one of my favourite David Fincher movies.

After watching the Luke Cage trailers have decided this is going to be good.  Of course I based that decision on the bit of seeing Cage reading a Walter Mosley novel, Little Green, which seems rather appropriate to the nature of Cage, because Little Green begins with:

Spoiler

Easy waking from a two-month coma after running his car off a cliff, with his funeral being prepared.  Of course the protags of all the tough guy mysteries, etc. never do die.  Good grief, look at James L. Burke's Dave Robicheaux and his sidekick, Cletus -- they get older and older and even OLDER, and keep taking the punches, the torture, the gunshots and they're still tougher than anybody else evah.

Their wives are always dying, but they are immortal.

14 hours ago, Veltigar said:

My buddy actually reminded me about it today. I remember seeing the trailer for it some time ago and thought it looked good, but forgot about it. I'm probably gonna wait for all episodes to air, as Ancalagon is doing. Gonna do the same thing with Gomorrah.

It's on my list and I've been recording it. I read good things about it and I love crime stuff.

Getting ready for a major Luke Cage binge. And I've been watching a few of the early AHS episodes. Gets kind of goofy at times, but I like it overall.

On 9/27/2016 at 7:07 PM, Zorral said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The Italian mob was in the county in the last couple of seasons due to Vicki and her husband.  Not to mention the Irish Irish in Sons of Anarachy, which is when I gave up watching SOA.

The catfight the writers are trying to make with Vic and Donna, DO NOT LIKE!  It is not necessary.

Kinda of liking that so far (up to ep 8) the various threads of seaon 5 are not converging particularly.  At first, I didn't.  But the whole concept of Henry and Walt having their own arcs at this time without overlapping much, actually makes sense in the way that life works with close friends.  It also underlines that Cadee is working to have her own life that isn't defined by Walt.  All this works for Walt moving forward emotionally and psychically from his beloved wife's death.

So yah, it's working, I think.  But I just like all this scenery and the whole idea of an old-fashioned guy hero so maybe I'm not a good judge.

Finished Longmire season 5 and

Spoiler

it turns out that the characters' separate arcs do come together the end, but in a terrible cliffhangers for them all, that appears to be at least the Longmire television series' formula.  I'd like to read some of the novels to see how much the television version departs from the book characters and etc.

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Finished Longmire season 5 and

Hide contents

it turns out that the characters' separate arcs do come together the end, but in a terrible cliffhangers for them all, that appears to be at least the Longmire television series' formula.  I'd like to read some of the novels to see how much the television version departs from the book characters and etc.

Spoiler

I thought the ending was quite good, but actually love the cliffhangers in Longmire. It also means there is most likely a season 6 :) I'm wondering who the father of Vic's child actually is.

11 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

It's on my list and I've been recording it. I read good things about it and I love crime stuff.

Getting ready for a major Luke Cage binge. And I've been watching a few of the early AHS episodes. Gets kind of goofy at times, but I like it overall.

I'm wondering if I should watch Jessica Jones before Luke Cage or not.

4 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I'm wondering if I should watch Jessica Jones before Luke Cage or not.

I would watch both that and Daredevil before Luke Cage if you haven't seen either.  Given that Luke Cage is introduced in Jessica Jones, I'd say it's close to essential viewing.  It's also a really enjoyable show in its own right.

15 minutes ago, briantw said:

I would watch both that and Daredevil before Luke Cage if you haven't seen either.  Given that Luke Cage is introduced in Jessica Jones, I'd say it's close to essential viewing.  It's also a really enjoyable show in its own right.

Thanks!

Archived