Watch, Watched, Watching: The Workprint Prototype Version

RedEyedGhost

I saw two films recently:

First, I saw First Blood on Saturday. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. It was much better than I remembered and it's very quaint to see John Rambo, this bastion of American actionstar masculinity, in his early years. It's kind of strange to compare the Rambo in this film with the roided out killing machine we get to see later on. 

Today I went to the theatre to watch Hell or High Water. This is a must see folks, I was really pleasantly surprised by this film. Great sense of location, great performances, an unexpectedly good sense of humour, nice action and I loved the fact that on top of all those great things, it had something to say about the world in general but this forgotten part of Texas especially. It's basically the wild west stripped of all the romanticising. Definitely a strong contender for best film of the year in my opinion. 

20 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Watched Duck you sucker. Don't know why it isn't talked about as much as Leones other movies, thought it was fucking epic. 

♫ Sean, Sean, Sean, Sean, Sean :P 

18 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

First, I saw First Blood on Saturday. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. It was much better than I remembered and it's very quaint to see John Rambo, this bastion of American actionstar masculinity, in his early years. It's kind of strange to compare the Rambo in this film with the roided out killing machine we get to see later on.

I've only seen First Blood, but I'm reasonably certain that the later films and certainly the general concept of Rambo as it exists in the public consciousness are not just different but completely, offensively opposed to what the character and first film were about.

That said, there's one moment in the film that Disney has ruined forever.

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I've only seen First Blood, but I'm reasonably certain that the later films and certainly the general concept of Rambo as it exists in the public consciousness are not just different but completely, offensively opposed to what the character and first film were about.

Yeah, pretty much. I saw Rambo II yesterday and it was a lot worse than I remembered. It's a pretty confusing movie actionwise, with a preachy Rambo, a random love interest and a gigantic pile of steroids at the heart of it. I mentally checked out more than once.   

11 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Went to see 'The Girl with All the Gifts'. Its hardly been talked about anywhere but its actually a fantastic little British 'zombie' movie. I would hardly even class it as a zombie movie as its more meditative sci fi than anything else. Highly recommended.

I thought the trailer was interesting. 

Kind of looked like a mix of Children of Men, and 28 Days Later. 

47 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Went to see 'The Girl with All the Gifts'. Its hardly been talked about anywhere but its actually a fantastic little British 'zombie' movie. I would hardly even class it as a zombie movie as its more meditative sci fi than anything else. Highly recommended.

Where are you? It's got some press in the UK. I guess it depends how into cinema you are. It's been on the upcoming films radar for a while now. I've read the book and plan to go in the next week sometime.

On 25/09/2016 at 11:35 PM, Isis said:

Just watched The Illusionist. Honestly can't be sure if I saw it when it was first released...but I don't think I did. It was ok. A bit obvious and more than a little twee. I suppose it was basically a harmless little fairy tale. I still have to wonder why it ended up getting released in the same year as The Prestige, which is a great film, really a pretty decent adaptation from the book even if it oversimplifies the story. 

I watched it when it came out and felt the same as you. Suffered massively from being out at the same time as "the illusionist". Even so I think it wasn't that great a film. It put a quiet saturday/sunday evening in though.

It reminds me to keep an eye out for "now you see me" sequel. Sounds like it's terrible but I enjoyed the first one quite a bit - mainly because it made you think there was magic but later revealed it was just (super complicated) misdirection.

"Search for the Wilderpeople" is high on my watch list - hopefully this Sunday.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Where are you? It's got some press in the UK. I guess it depends how into cinema you are. It's been on the upcoming films radar for a while now. I've read the book and plan to go in the next week sometime.

I'm in the UK, but I haven't heard very much about it at all, not in comparison to how good it actually is.

14 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Today I went to the theatre to watch Hell or High Water. This is a must see folks, I was really pleasantly surprised by this film. Great sense of location, great performances, an unexpectedly good sense of humour, nice action and I loved the fact that on top of all those great things, it had something to say about the world in general but this forgotten part of Texas especially. It's basically the wild west stripped of all the romanticising. Definitely a strong contender for best film of the year in my opinion. 

Two agreements from me.

The original in the Rambo series was actually a good movie. The joke it became after First Blood is another story.

I saw Hell or High Water a few weeks ago and left the theatre thinking the same thing. This was a much better movie than I thought it would be going into it. My wife isn't into movies very much but I know this is one she will enjoy.

9 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I can't even find a release date for that in the US, and have seen zero commercials for it.  The only trailer I've seen was sought out by me.  Have you read the book?  How did it compare?

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Longmire, season 5, Netflix original, streaming.

The 'debate' . . .  o, dear.

Longmire, hands down. The debates are just two cons pissing down your back and telling you it's raining. Lewis Black's statement about having a choice between two piles of shit with the only difference being the smell is more appropriate now than when he originally said it.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm through episode 6 of season 5 of Longmire. I finished the first season of The Get Down Sunday evening, I really enjoyed that, both the story and the music.

I miss the overarching story from season 5, but am still thoroughly enjoying Longmire. I expected this season to fall short of last season's however, since the central story was more or less wrapped up last season. One thing I don't like, however, is  . . .

Spoiler

the Irish mob being in Absaroka county. I feel that is the weakest part of this season. Loving Cady's arc, Henry's as usual and Ferg's. Malachi is hilarious. I lost it when he called Walt "Lawnmower" :)

10 hours ago, red snow said:

I watched it when it came out and felt the same as you. Suffered massively from being out at the same time as "the illusionist". Even so I think it wasn't that great a film. It put a quiet saturday/sunday evening in though.

It reminds me to keep an eye out for "now you see me" sequel. Sounds like it's terrible but I enjoyed the first one quite a bit - mainly because it made you think there was magic but later revealed it was just (super complicated) misdirection.

While I thought Now You See Me 2 was still reasonably good fun I think the original was probably better in just about every respect. Of course, neither of them is worthy of any comparison to The Prestige. I agree The Illusionist did suffer in comparison to The Prestige, the main story was interesting enough but the magic in it felt a bit dull in comparison to the tricks in The Prestige.

Finished my re-watch of The Shield.  I stand by my position that it has the best finale in TV history, at least thus far.  It wraps up every major plot line in a neat little bow and the fates of the main characters are beyond satisfying.  I'd rank it as my second favorite show ever, just behind The Wire.  

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Longmire, hands down. The debates are just two cons pissing down your back and telling you it's raining. Lewis Black's statement about having a choice between two piles of shit with the only difference being the smell is more appropriate now than when he originally said it.

I miss the overarching story from season 5, but am still thoroughly enjoying Longmire. I expected this season to fall short of last season's however, since the central story was more or less wrapped up last season. One thing I don't like, however, is  . . .

Hide contents

the Irish mob being in Absaroka county. I feel that is the weakest part of this season. Loving Cady's arc, Henry's as usual and Ferg's. Malachi is hilarious. I lost it when he called Walt "Lawnmower" :)

Spoiler

The Italian mob was in the county in the last couple of seasons due to Vicki and her husband.  Not to mention the Irish Irish in Sons of Anarachy, which is when I gave up watching SOA.

The catfight the writers are trying to make with Vic and Donna, DO NOT LIKE!  It is not necessary.

Kinda of liking that so far (up to ep 8) the various threads of seaon 5 are not converging particularly.  At first, I didn't.  But the whole concept of Henry and Walt having their own arcs at this time without overlapping much, actually makes sense in the way that life works with close friends.  It also underlines that Cadee is working to have her own life that isn't defined by Walt.  All this works for Walt moving forward emotionally and psychically from his beloved wife's death.

So yah, it's working, I think.  But I just like all this scenery and the whole idea of an old-fashioned guy hero so maybe I'm not a good judge.

Archived