Watch, Watched, Watching: The Workprint Prototype Version

RedEyedGhost

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

He's the best thing about the series, but the series itself is so formulaic I lost interest in it.

I can't really even remember if I finished it or not. I think I did... but yeah, it's not very good.

It's a really slow time for TV.... Preacher, Animal Kingdom, and Outcast are done...we're down to a handful of shows... Tyrant, Mr Robot, The Night of, Last Ship, and Queen of the South... We're catching up on Salem S2, which we missed somehow... and I'm on S2 of Killjoys

Soon a few more things are going start.... Halt & Catch Fire and Fear the WD come to mind... By Sept we should be back in full Nerd-mode...

On 13 August 2016 at 4:32 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Did not love The Lobster.  It did have some good bits though.

:lmao: 

I watched it and didn't really enjoy it that much either. There were a few funny moments like the one you quoted but overall I was disappointed

On 13/08/2016 at 7:02 PM, Veltigar said:

The first one was more frantic, so I guess there wasn't much time for the visual storytelling in that one. You're right though, The Raid 2 did such things in a rather neat way. Particularly with our introduction to baseball guy imo :)

The first one certainly had its moments, such as the one broken down in the first entry on this list but yeah it's certainly more designed just to go from one thing to the next so the second on had a little more space to play around with things like that.
It's just a shame it was all embedded in a whole bunch of much less-neat, less-visual storytelling.

The best thing about the Raid 2 though is the kitchen fight. It isn't set up as well throughout the film as the final fight with Mad Dog in the first, and the antagonist in it isn't half as compelling, but as a single scene taken by itself it's one of the greatest action moments of all time. Made the whole thing worth it. It's essentially a short story in itself told entirely with fists, knees and weapons. Loved it.

Rewatched Creed and Rocky Balboa. I love these films, they are just so great. Creed is undoubtedly the highlight of the entire Rocky series and just so damn powerful on an emotional level. Rocky Balboa is a class below that, since it hasn't got as much (directorial) style, but I love it anyway. They might be my favourite entries in the whole series. Although, if they never make another one I wouldn't be cross. Creed was an incredible finale and I don't think we'll ever be able to top that. Of course, if Ryan Coogler, Sylvester Stalone and Michael B. Jordan are game for another one and they feel like there is still a story left to be told I'm all for it :D

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

He's the best thing about the series, but the series itself is so formulaic I lost interest in it.

It's one of those things I'll watch when it's on the tele, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it. Iain Glen is really good in it though and I do love the setting as well. I'd rather see more of these than the endless slew of Midsomer Murders and Death in Paradise.

28 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The best thing about the Raid 2 though is the kitchen fight. It isn't set up as well throughout the film as the final fight with Mad Dog in the first, and the antagonist in it isn't half as compelling, but as a single scene taken by itself it's one of the greatest action moments of all time. Made the whole thing worth it. It's essentially a short story in itself told entirely with fists, knees and weapons. Loved it.

A very cool weapon at that :D I had never heard of the Karambit before, but it's a weapon that I wouldn't mind seeing more of :) 

29 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The first one certainly had its moments, such as the one broken down in the first entry on this list but yeah it's certainly more designed just to go from one thing to the next so the second on had a little more space to play around with things like that.
It's just a shame it was all embedded in a whole bunch of much less-neat, less-visual storytelling.

Pretty cool list by the way :) Although, they do miss the point about shaky cam near the end. It doesn't matter whether or not you can clearly follow the action, the shaky cam will make you feel sick anyway ;) 

I read on IMDB that the director is working on a third installment, so I'm curious about what he'll bring to the table next time :) 

Netflix's Stranger Things anyone? Eight episodes made for binging - wow!

At the start you think it's just a naff riff off ET, but then it gets scary. I loved it - kids acting like real kids, jump outta your skin moments, 80s refs by the bucketload and a great story - well, great providing you fail to ask minor questions like WTF are the monsters doing here? ;-)

15 hours ago, Veltigar said:

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

It's one of those things I'll watch when it's on the tele, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it. Iain Glen is really good in it though and I do love the setting as well. I'd rather see more of these than the endless slew of Midsomer Murders and Death in Paradise.

I am not ashamed.  I adore Midsomer and Death in Paradise.  The former for the flowers, rivers and obvious centuries of careful cultivation of a fertile region, the latter for it showing up here after brutally long weeks of cold (though maybe I won't need it this coming winter as I'll be spending about 4 weeks -- not all together -- down in Cuba -- work ya know).  These series are serious comfort tv, and why shouldn't I have some, hmmm?  

Definitely agree with liking the Jack Taylor milieu though.

Continuing the liking of Death in Paradise -- the vibrancy of the colors.  Which also continues in The Get Down.  Half way through the 6 episodes now.  Do they ever pack the events and the emo into each episode.  Not only murder, recording, etc. in third episode -- also the 1977 Black Out!

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I am not ashamed.  I adore Midsomer and Death in Paradise.  The former for the flowers, rivers and obvious centuries of careful cultivation of a fertile region, the latter for it showing up here after brutally long weeks of cold (though maybe I won't need it this coming winter as I'll be spending about 4 weeks -- not all together -- down in Cuba -- work ya know).  These series are serious comfort tv, and why shouldn't I have some, hmmm?  

Definitely agree with liking the Jack Taylor milieu though.

Continuing the liking of Death in Paradise -- the vibrancy of the colors.  Which also continues in The Get Down.  Half way through the 6 episodes now.  Do they ever pack the events and the emo into each episode.  Not only murder, recording, etc. in third episode -- also the 1977 Black Out!

Never could get into Death in Paradise, especially after that jarring recast. I used to like Midsomer Murders, it's indeed good for comfort watching and the early ones written by Anthony Horrowitz were quite good. Sadly, it jumped the shark years ago and I miss the old Barnaby. Personally, nowadays I prefer stuff like Endeavour, Lewis (although at the end it also became quite shaky) and George Gently myself. I wish they still had Frost on though, I think I liked that one best of all. 

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Ep 4 of Vice Principals had probably the funniest/best acid trip I've seen on tv/movies. 

"We live here now". I was sceptical at first and while it might not be the funniest show ever I've had fun with every episode so far - especially episode 5

I watched both Sing Street and The Big Short. Sing Street was pretty pleasant though I couldn't understand the accents at first. It reminded me of an Irish School of Rock but without Jack Black.

I have a personal interest in business finance stories and Michael Lewis is my favorite non-fiction author, so I really liked The Big Short. It gave clear and succinct explanations of various financial derivatives (although hearing Selena Gomez and Richard Thaler explaining CDOs was a truly WTF moment for me). I also liked how the socially awkward and sometimes unrelatable characters were sympathetic despite making millions on their ventures. This movie had a fairly strong anti-Wall Street, anti-banking culture vibe to it and that's not a sentiment I've shared to a high vitriole. However I found myself re-considering that position at the end of the movie given that industry's compensation practices and their survival from the federal bailout and overall lack of reform and consequence in general.  

On 8/14/2016 at 2:08 PM, Astromech said:

I watched Brooklyn last night. HBO premiere and I was bored, so gave it a try. It was decent, but nothing special.

I really liked it. Totally hit me in the right spots.

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

This, so much this. My gf and I were high fiving when it was over. Amazing sequence.

8 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Never could get into Death in Paradise, especially after that jarring recast. I used to like Midsomer Murders, it's indeed good for comfort watching and the early ones written by Anthony Horrowitz were quite good. Sadly, it jumped the shark years ago and I miss the old Barnaby. Personally, nowadays I prefer stuff like Endeavour, Lewis (although at the end it also became quite shaky) and George Gently myself. I wish they still had Frost on though, I think I liked that one best of all. 

Endeavour is so dull and dreary, really. I actually shut it down in the middle of the episodes. Go back, and it never gets better.  (Morse was never my favorite either, anyway.)

Lewis for the win because of the surroundings -- and he's much more attractive than Morse ever was -- and then there's Hathaway . . . .

George Gently was THE BEST. John Thaw!  John Thaw! John Thaw!

Frost was very good too.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Endeavour is so dull and dreary, really. I actually shut it down in the middle of the episodes. Go back, and it never gets better.  (Morse was never my favorite either, anyway.)

Lewis for the win because of the surroundings -- and he's much more attractive than Morse ever was -- and then there's Hathaway . . . .

George Gently was THE BEST. John Thaw!  John Thaw! John Thaw!

Frost was very good too.  As far as Death in Paradise -- I adore adore adore the lizard.  When down there I spend lots of time happily spying out the lizards perching here and there in my quarters, and so glad to know they're on the case, catching and eating things I do not like.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

In the meantime I have majorly crushed on the Death in Paradise's little green lizard.

When down there I do tend to spend a lot of time spying out the small house lizards who I like to watch but never wish to be seen.  

Archived