Watch, Watched, Watching: The Workprint Prototype Version

RedEyedGhost

On August 23, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Leofric said:

Caught up on BrainDead over the weekend, really liking this show.   Great mix of politics, horror, and science fiction in a comedy.    The best bits usually involve either Senator Red Wheatus ( Tony Shaloub) or  Gustav.  

Never thought I would be laughing out loud about a Congressional hearing discussing animal testing.

Love the "preivously on" recaps set to music at the beginning of each episode.

Love this show so much. I really hope it gets a 2nd season. I'm a bit obsessed with the MEW, especially knowing that she has a puppy and lives near me in NYC. My gf and I want her to be our new best friend.

@Veltigar,

I have another movie review request for you. Would you please watch and review for us the movie that I believe to be the worst ever made? It's called Zardoz. It's not one of those bad for the sake of being bad movies. They were honestly trying to make a masterpiece and what they produced is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. here is a clip to prove my point:

1 hour ago, Harakiri said:

Saw the Nice Guys the other night, good movie, Crowe and Gosling had really good chemistry. Reminded me of how Downey Jr and Kilmer were in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. 

Shit man, I've been wanting to see that so much, but wasn't able to make it to the theater when it was there... When you say stuff like that I really wish I had forced myself to find the time.  The wait for it to come out on Netflix disc will now be unbearable.  Thank you.

I'm watching 2oolander right now.  Pretty solid opening montage. 

On 8/21/2016 at 6:09 AM, red snow said:

Good assessment. Clooney's character seemed to be intentionally bland/clueless. Ralph Fiennes and Ehrenrich stole the show for me with the scene where the director is coaching the actor on how to approach the scene. There were a lot of drawn out set pieces which I think were homages (the sailor routine rang a bell) but felt a little bit indulgent. I watched "trumbo" afterwards which gave a bit more insight into the red scare element of both films.

Yeah the Ralph Fiennes and Ehrenrich scene was great. It reminded of both how good Fiennes is and made me think "Who is this Ehrenrich kid and does he actually talk like that?" 

Watched the first 2 episodes of Animal Kingdom on TNT. It was okay. I'm much more interested in the movie. The Wikipedia entries for the Pettingill crime family in Australia (which the movie and show is based off of) is thoroughly fascinating. Had no idea about the complexity of the Australian organized crime scene prior to this.

On August 21, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Leofric said:

Saw Hell or High Water yesterday, definitely deserves all the praise it's been getting.   Setting and tone very reminiscent of No Country for Old Men, but without the malevolent presence of Chigurh.    Well written plot and great dialogue.   All 4 of the main characters were well acted and believable,  Chris Pine and Ben Foster as the two brothers robbing banks, and Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham as the two Texas Rangers on their trail.  

Loved Alberto's thoughts on history repeating itself. 

Reveal hidden contents

I loved the confrontation at the end between Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges.   Marcus is coming to understand why Toby and tanner robbed the banks.    Toby saying he never killed anyone, yet his demeanor showing he was definitely capable and willing to if he had to.     Their final offers to help each other find peace.

Also, liked the scene with Tanner saying he had strength of 10 men and ranting on Mr. Pibb  which was both funny and brutal.  It gave a glimpse that Toby could be just as dangerous as Tanner, but was smarter and better able to control it most of the time. 

I saw it today and thought it was great. The main cast was absolutely incredible. The pacing was smooth throughout, and they did a good job of portraying the bleakness of the small, dying towns in west Texas which set everything up perfectly. A few of the best scenes were the short ones with some side characters too, a lot of humor throughout.

Everything in this movie was really well executed, I highly recommend.

6 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Watched the first 2 episodes of Animal Kingdom on TNT. It was okay. I'm much more interested in the movie. The Wikipedia entries for the Pettingill crime family in Australia (which the movie and show is based off of) is thoroughly fascinating. Had no idea about the complexity of the Australian organized crime scene prior to this.

The movie is brilliant.

I finished Another Period yesterday. The season finale was very disappointing. I'm glad we're getting another season, because it wouldn't feel right to end on such a mediocre episode. Season two as a whole was inferior to the first season. The narrative wasn't as coherent this time and I guess that that hampered the actors ability to shine. 

On 25-8-2016 at 11:28 PM, Tywin et al. said:

@Veltigar,

I have another movie review request for you. Would you please watch and review for us the movie that I believe to be the worst ever made? It's called Zardoz. It's not one of those bad for the sake of being bad movies. They were honestly trying to make a masterpiece and what they produced is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. here is a clip to prove my point:

That's the one with Sean Connery in that red mankini no? :P

12 hours ago, Harakiri said:

Just saw Don't Breathe, up until the last act it was great. Surpassed my expectations (which were not high at all). Saw the Nice Guys the other night, good movie, Crowe and Gosling had really good chemistry. Reminded me of how Downey Jr and Kilmer were in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. 

A pity the Nice Guys didn't bring in more money. I would have loved more films with these characters. Not just Gosling and Crowe, but also the daughter, who was really brilliant in this.

On 19-8-2016 at 3:54 PM, matt b said:

I'm watching it, I think it's great. I think being on Comedy Central might hurt it a bit. Maybe it's just me, but it's been awhile since I felt like one of their new shows was "must watch" material, the way I feel a lot of HBO, FX, AMC, NetFlix, etc, etc shows are. But they've been quietly building a nice roster of shows like Another Period, Drunk History, Broad City, and Amy Schumer that are changing my mind about that. The fact that a lot of them have women in lead roles and in the writing room doesn't hurt, either.

I'm glad someone is watching it :) what did you think of the season finale? I was not impressed, apart from a great Peepers line 

Spoiler

“Lady Dodo, you’re dying. Let me cut my wrists so I can serve you in heaven.”

I didn't feel like it even came close to the heights this show can achieve.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I'm glad someone is watching it :) what did you think of the season finale?

Overall I think I pretty much agree with you, not as good as season 1 but I'm ready for more. I got the impression they may have had some issues with cast availability this season, with Chair and Dodo not showing up until the latter portions of the season. Hoping for better next year!

I rewatched a bunch of stuff during my holiday:

-Neon Genesis Evangelion. Liked it a little less than the first time but still I enjoyed it a lot, even if it's flawed.
-The End of Evangelion: Liked it better than the first time, still abstract as fuck but I think it's a great ending to NGE all the same.
-Kill Bill 1 and 2: Liked them better overall than the first time, the music was terrific and the unrealistic parts didn't bother me this time around.
-Pulp Fiction: Third watch and as good as ever.
-Children of Men: One of my favorite movies, loved it again.

Now I need to get into the final season of The Wire, at long last.

On ‎24‎-‎8‎-‎2016 at 4:39 AM, Nictarion said:

Poor McNulty. Closest thing the show had to a main character, and he's nobody's favorite. :lol:

I actually did enjoy him for the most part . Especially his interactions with Bunk. I went back and forth between Omar and Stringer as my favorite. Idris Elba was probably the best actor on the show, but Omar is such a fun character. There's a reason he's become iconic over the years. 

I like him (and like you, love his interactions with Bunk) but there are many characters in the show that just simply outshine him.

Funny you should say that, I'm watching Fargo Season 2 atm too, and it's really not grabbing me the way season one did. It's not bad, by any means, just not nearly as interesting so far. I'll watch it through though, since I'm still enjoying it

4 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Finally finished Fargo S2. Ok, but not as good as S1--especially the finale. I'm wondering if S3 will pick up with Patrick Wilson & Ted Danson--and Nick Offerman. His lawyer's "featured" episode was arguably the best of the season. 

Unlikely as S3 takes place in the present day.

I watched The Descendants which was thoroughly satisfying although I went in knowing I wanted to watch a not-quite-too-feel-good family drama. It was almost like a coming of age film but with an adult instead of a teen. Clooney has a certain comedic style with his body language and facial expressions which he repeats in his movies like Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Shailene Woodley was the highlight of the movie which was a fresh perspective compared to the other movies I've seen her in.

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Unlikely as S3 takes place in the present day.

I watched The Descendants which was thoroughly satisfying although I went in knowing I wanted to watch a not-quite-too-feel-good family drama. It was almost like a coming of age film but with an adult instead of a teen. Clooney has a certain comedic style with his body language and facial expressions which he repeats in his movies like Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Shailene Woodley was the highlight of the movie which was a fresh perspective compared to the other movies I've seen her in.

I agree. She was also the best part of that movie for me. She was great in The Fault of Our Stars as well. It's a shame she's wasted so much time with those Divergent movies. 

Just finished watching Blue Eyes, a Swedish political thriller, quite similar in feel to The Killing bit more from the political angle than the police side of things. Only ten episodes, so fairly tightly plotted. I'd say it was not quite as good as either The Killing or The Bridge but definitely worth a go if you enjoyed those and want something similar. 

14 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Finally finished Fargo S2. Ok, but not as good as S1--especially the finale. I'm wondering if S3 will pick up with Patrick Wilson & Ted Danson--and Nick Offerman. His lawyer's "featured" episode was arguably the best of the season. 

They're about equal for me, but S1 did have the better ending. 

For me it's probably a side effect on focusing on a more wider cast to me. Gus, Molly and Lester felt like more of main characters to me than Peggy and Lou - as well as having a more personal connection to the end villain.

Spoiler

plus Hanzee being the fat mobster from S1 felt a bit weird to me 

Archived