Watch, Watched, Watching: The Workprint Prototype Version

RedEyedGhost

13 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

They're about equal for me, but S1 did have the better ending. 

For me it's probably a side effect on focusing on a more wider cast to me. Gus, Molly and Lester felt like more of main characters to me than Peggy and Lou - as well as having a more personal connection to the end villain.

Reveal hidden contents

plus Hanzee being the fat mobster from S1 felt a bit weird to me 

I posted about S2 more in the Fargo thread, which has S3 in the title. I also totally missed that about Hanzee until I read an article on it.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm watching Keanu right now.  Some damn funny stuff.  "You sound like Richard Pryor pretending to be a white guy." :lmao: 

I was slightly dissapointed with that one. Thought it would be funnier tbh. It had its moments though. My favorite part was the movie pictures at the end. 

I am currently watching Black Sails like it's my job.  I'm on episode 7 of season 3.  I'm having such a good time watching it and was hooked from the beginning.  I'm going to be v. upset at the end of season 4.

6 minutes ago, Chaldanya said:

I am currently watching Black Sails like it's my job.  I'm on episode 7 of season 3.  I'm having such a good time watching it and was hooked from the beginning.  I'm going to be v. upset at the end of season 4.

Its great but took me a long time to get into it because the first few episodes are so broad and 'michael bay'. It takes a while before you understand it might have anything above blood and tits.

5 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Its great but took me a long time to get into it because the first few episodes are so broad and 'michael bay'. It takes a while before you understand it might have anything above blood and tits.

I think I'm the person for whom these types of programmes are made because I tend to only binge watch programmes so I'd watched the first 2 or 3 in one evening and then I was hooked.

27 minutes ago, Chaldanya said:

I think I'm the person for whom these types of programmes are made because I tend to only binge watch programmes so I'd watched the first 2 or 3 in one evening and then I was hooked.

Yeah I watch one episode and make a judgement from there. Sometimes its kind of unfair, I wouldn't have ever bothered with the rest of the show had it not got such rave reviews on here. I thought they must be joking as I thought it was cringingly awful at first.

Been watching a ton of Orange is the New Black. I stalled out in mid first season last time. Glad I went back to it. I knew it was a good show, but it actually got even better. Season 2 was incredible and season 3 wasn't that far behind. I'm just starting season 4.

About to watch Show me a Hero and Narcos Season 2.

I went to see Macbeth with Michael Fassbender in theatre today. I already reviewed the film a couple of months back, but since I could now watch it the way it was intended, I decided to check it out one more time (theatre > DVD every time). It's still a very good movie. The acting is impressive, the music engagingly weird and I like the directing a lot. Justin Kurzel took a lot of bold choices with the editing and colour scheme of the film.

I'm curious to see if this creative team will manage to bag that most illusive of unicorns, a good video game adaptation, with their take on Assassin's Creed. Macbeth is a pretty interesting audition for that, because it seems like we'll finally get a big budget film with a distinct feeling, instead of all the slob we have been fed on this summer. 

On a whole, I can only find two negatives with Kurzel's Macbeth (aside from some minor issues with some of the action). The first negative is that I don't fully agree with some of the diversions from the source material, although that's really a minor issue. There is nothing really sticking out and I can mostly see why he chose to make the changes, so I can live with that. His reasons seems quite reasonable all in all. 

I can't remember whether I singled out the second negative during my first review, but it was glaringly obvious in the theatre. Macbeth is a really dark film. And I'm not talking about the subject matter here, but  about the lighting. Especially during the night scenes I had a hard time seeing what was going on. It was really straining on the eyes and I do hope he'll make smarter choices vis-a-vis the lightning with Assassin's Creed.

Just finished rewatching Dirty Dancing. I always rememberd this as the crappy version of Grease and when I say crappy, I mean that in a good way, since in my mind it was a hilarious dancing monstrosity. It's probably not a coincidence that the only thing I really remember about the film was the line 'Nobody puts Baby in a corner'. 

Having rewatched it, I can definitely say that it wasn't as funny as I remembered. In fact, Dirty Dancing actually tries very hard to be a serious FILM with the dark abortion plotline and the whole end of an era concering those holiday camps. Both are a bit of a distraction imo. Dirty Dancing is at its best when it's really ridiculous and badly acted, like in the whole 'NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER' scene. 

The movie has quite a lot of problems. Everyone is a completely over-the-top caricature. The lead actress isn't very good at her job, to put it mildly. Nor is her father or really anyone of note besides Patrick Swayze. And even he has some really awful line readings (The aformentioned Nobody puts Baby in a corner). The romantic chemistry between the two leads is also curiously absent imo. Perhaps it's because I have trouble imagining a world where she is the most desirable of the pair, while in real life a heart throb like Swayze's character could have gotten pretty much anyone. The script confounds the problem by zooming in on Baby as some sort of saviour figure who is so pure and good, while she really didn't do anything that special imo. Just basic human decency, that's all. 

The music is pretty good though. I particularly like She's like the Wind. It makes me miss Swayze even more, he was way to young when he died. Anyway, I'm having a hard time rating this film. I'm torn between a 6 or a 7, I think it deserves a 6, but my nostalgia is still pretty strong for it so I'm leaning towards a 7. 

EDIT: Regarding the absence of chemistry between the leads, this piece of IMDB trivia explains a lot: 

Patrick Swayze had to convince Jennifer Grey to be in this film, because she had disliked him so much while filming Red Dawn (1984).

Just got back from seeing Hell or Highwater. Really, really good movie. Not terribly familiar with the director (David MacKenzie), think the only other thing I've seen by him was Young Adam, which was just ok. This was right up my alley though. Crime drama with a western feel. Apparently from the same writer as Sicario. I'm making seeing that a priority soon I swear. I've seen comparisons of HoHW to No Country for Old Men, and that's apt. Little more dark humor in this one though. I was suprised I laughed quite a few times, in what is a pretty bleak and serious movie. Great performances all around. Jeff Bridges basically played Rooster Coburn 2.0, and Ben Foster was as good as always. Chris Pine was the one that suprised me though. Never thought much of him before this, but he was good. Best movie I've seen in a while.

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Just got back from seeing Hell or Highwater. Really, really good movie. Not terribly familiar with the director (David MacKenzie), think the only other thing I've seen by him was Young Adam, which was just ok. This was right up my alley though. Crime drama with a western feel. Apparently from the same writer as Sicario. I'm making seeing that a priority soon I swear. I've seen comparisons of HoHW to No Country for Old Men, and that's apt. Little more dark humor in this one though. I was suprised I laughed quite a few times, in what is a pretty bleak and serious movie. Great performances all around. Jeff Bridges basically played Rooster Coburn 2.0, and Ben Foster was as good as always. Chris Pine was the one that suprised me though. Never thought much of him before this, but he was good. Best movie I've seen in a while.

Mackenzie also directed Starred Up, which I recommend. Hell or High Water is definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year.

11 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Just finished rewatching Dirty Dancing. I always rememberd this as the crappy version of Grease and when I say crappy, I mean that in a good way, since in my mind it was a hilarious dancing monstrosity. It's probably not a coincidence that the only thing I really remember about the film was the line 'Nobody puts Baby in a corner'. 

Having rewatched it, I can definitely say that it wasn't as funny as I remembered. In fact, Dirty Dancing actually tries very hard to be a serious FILM with the dark abortion plotline and the whole end of an era concering those holiday camps. Both are a bit of a distraction imo. Dirty Dancing is at its best when it's really ridiculous and badly acted, like in the whole 'NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER' scene. 

The movie has quite a lot of problems. Everyone is a completely over-the-top caricature. The lead actress isn't very good at her job, to put it mildly. Nor is her father or really anyone of note besides Patrick Swayze. And even he has some really awful line readings (The aformentioned Nobody puts Baby in a corner). The romantic chemistry between the two leads is also curiously absent imo. Perhaps it's because I have trouble imagining a world where she is the most desirable of the pair, while in real life a heart throb like Swayze's character could have gotten pretty much anyone. The script confounds the problem by zooming in on Baby as some sort of saviour figure who is so pure and good, while she really didn't do anything that special imo. Just basic human decency, that's all. 

The music is pretty good though. I particularly like She's like the Wind. It makes me miss Swayze even more, he was way to young when he died. Anyway, I'm having a hard time rating this film. I'm torn between a 6 or a 7, I think it deserves a 6, but my nostalgia is still pretty strong for it so I'm leaning towards a 7. 

EDIT: Regarding the absence of chemistry between the leads, this piece of IMDB trivia explains a lot: 

She carried a watermelon.

For me Dirty Dancing is one of those watch with my mother if I'm at home on a rainy bank holiday kind of films. It's not great, but its fine to kill a coup,e of hours with

What I enjoy about Dirty Dancing, is that it is a film made in 1987 set in the year of 1963.  As I didn't see the film until sometime in the 21st century, for me it's a period piece wrapped inside another period's attitudes and nostalgia of a past that was divided by what is called vaguely the 60's, and which the film's chronological location was supposed to be pointing us toward.  Or something like that. :) 

O yah, I also enjoy the music, the dancing and the film's mise en scène, as well as the actors.  Don't find the story a needless distraction at all.

It's corny, I suppose, from the perspective of 2016 and people born long long after the time of the film's setting -- 1963 -- and long after the time the film was made -- 1987 -- and the social, political and cultural break of "the 60's" in between.  But for me, all this is fun to ponder while watching, especially as it very USian of  one of our very particular and influential cultures, from which I do not come personally, but since arriving on the East Coast, have many many friends etc. who did come out of that culture and whose parents came out of the culture and the time.

Archived