HBO Confirms Eighth Season as Last

Westeros

While I'm happy we have a projected end date, I wonder if the seventh and eight seasons are actually one whole season being split like Deathly Hallows pt 1 and 2. One full final season seven would be perfect unless, of course, there's too much story to tell to finish it off in 10 episodes.

7 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

While I'm happy we have a projected end date, I wonder if the seventh and eight seasons are actually one whole season being split like Deathly Hallows pt 1 and 2. One full final season seven would be perfect unless, of course, there's too much story to tell to finish it off in 10 episodes.

It will be season 7 split in 2 - isn't it only 13 episodes all up? 7 in season 7 and 6 in season 8? Hugely more expensive episodes - but less story development. More bout spectacular resolution.

I personally think they should have finished in season 7, as D&D originally wanted to - but money talks and there must always be compromise on big commercial endeavours like this show, so 2 more shortish seasons seems the best middle ground all in all.

The wait is going to drag for fans though - especially that wait for the final 6 (or so) episodes.

I feel like a show version of Fire and Blood can do well as a prequel. Although the D&E series may be the easy choice for another series, but i get the feeling it won't cash well like the main series due to how different it is, as D&E is more typical medieval fantasy.

In broad strokes, there are really only 2 ways it can go. Either the factions in Westros fight it out and are unified but weakened when the Walkers attack, then the series ends with the Battle between the walkers and Men. Or, The walkers attack sooner forcing the factions to join forces to defeat them, then sort their rivalries out among the survivors.

Either way its seems the logical place to split the 2 seasons is the Breaching of the wall.

I also wonder about how the wall will fall. Bran's mark is too obvious to me.

I have a feeling that "The dead cannot pass through the wall" will include Jon Snow because he was resurrected and that this fact will be key to the wall falling.

People forget that the White Walkers aren't dead - they are Neverdead, little babies who got given eternal cold life. And the Knights King is also a Neverdead of sorts, the CotF didn't kill him, they just made him live forever as an ice mage. So the dead not being able to pass the wall only effects the wights.

Re Jon Snow, I wonder if he could range north now? Does the dead not crossing the wall thing work both ways?

But yea, the breaching of the wall seems one place it could be split.

On 03/08/2016 at 3:46 PM, Cron said:

(1)  Jaime and Bronn as main characters, with Pod and Brienne regularly appearing.  I think this would have great potential for adventuring, but unfortunately I strongly believe Jaime is going to die in the final battle (a hero).

Maybe tweak this to just Bronn as a wandering sellsword, essentially its Kung-Fu in Essos and Westeros. Filled with old men peddling carts of pig shit, whorehouses, men without cloaks defeating people who wear them, the list is endless.

Just to throw out a few off the top of the dome ideas, nothing too serious.

The Age of Heroes: Essentially demystifying everything we have heard about the age of heroes, probably not the best thing for people who are dedicated to the ASoIaF world.

The Second Sons: The Bronn Kung-Fu ripoff but with an ensemble cast.

Olyenna Tyrell: A story of political intrigue with lots of sex and scheming in the world of Highgarden (with a younger Olyenna).

This is making me laugh just thinking of ideas. Most of it is going to conform in some way to a genre narrative and most of the characters are essentially wanderers or inhabitants of a certain place, so focusing on that with a certain genre twist like cops and robbers, romance, mystery, comedy etc. The great thing about GoT is it focuses on all of those aspects and tweaks them.

Why not do an OC type of show with Jamie and Cersei (or Loras and Margaery) at CR, except they are just the background stuck up rich kid characters and it focuses on the characters they go to... school... with.

Probably not the most HBO shows but still, funny to think of.

1 hour ago, RetconKillah said:

Maybe tweak this to just Bronn as a wandering sellsword, essentially its Kung-Fu in Essos and Westeros. Filled with old men peddling carts of pig shit, whorehouses, men without cloaks defeating people who wear them, the list is endless.

Just to throw out a few off the top of the dome ideas, nothing too serious.

The Age of Heroes: Essentially demystifying everything we have heard about the age of heroes, probably not the best thing for people who are dedicated to the ASoIaF world.

The Second Sons: The Bronn Kung-Fu ripoff but with an ensemble cast.

Olyenna Tyrell: A story of political intrigue with lots of sex and scheming in the world of Highgarden (with a younger Olyenna).

This is making me laugh just thinking of ideas. Most of it is going to conform in some way to a genre narrative and most of the characters are essentially wanderers or inhabitants of a certain place, so focusing on that w

ith a certain genre twist like cops and robbers, romance, mystery, comedy etc. The great thing about GoT is it focuses on all of those aspects and tweaks them.

Why not do an OC type of show with Jamie and Cersei (or Loras and Margaery) at CR, except they are just the background stuck up rich kid characters and it focuses on the characters they go to... school... with.

Probably not the most HBO shows but still, funny to think of.

Interesting ideas, I'd be willing to give any or all of them a try!

Age of Heroes would be particularly awesome, but I'm guessing a spin-off wouldn't tackle something that epic unless GRRM was involved to make it canon, but who knows, maybe he'd be willing to do it.

Archived