Westeros

HBO Confirms Eighth Season as Last

28 posts in this topic

The TCA press tour is taking place, where network executives talk with reporters about their programming, and of course new HBO programming head Casey Bloys has fielded questions regarding Game of Thrones. As Variety’s live blog notes, there’s two major take aways.

First, Bloys confirmed that the 8th season of the show would be its last, although like other HBO executives he says he would be happy to get 10 more seasons. Many fans have assumed the 8th would be the last, given statements from Benioff and Weiss, but this is the first direct and explicit confirmation.

Second, Bloys remarked on the possibility of a “spin-off” so long as it “makes sense creatively.” What that means, exactly, is anyone’s guess, but certainly many HBO watchers and commentators have noted that it would be very logical for HBO to commission some sort of spin-off to hold on to at least some part of the show’s audience (averaging 25 million viewers per episode across all delivery methods) at a time when HBO’s upcoming programming has a lot of question marks floating around it.

Other, smaller details to note are that the late airing of season 7 (as we’ve previously reported) will mean that that season will not be in contention for the Emmys, and because of that late start it seems likely that The Leftovers will be scheduled to fill in that Spring-early Summer period.

Visit the Site!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloys remarked on the possibility of a “spin-off” so long as it “makes sense creatively".

 

don't try to play coy here you people are making spin offs. Its not even a question lol

25 million viewers are on the line here, Nobody just stops making something that brings in that amount of viewers.

 

Edited by Adam_Up_Bxtch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they've basically confirmed what D&D have said as well as what the fans all thought was going to happen anyway.  It's good they've gone on record and this is coming from HBO - there's no room for confusion on the issue.  Season 8 is it.

As for the spin off...I'd prefer we got a prequel series/mini series as opposed to a spin off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind a Dunk and Egg series, really. As long as Duncan is played by a hot actor that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Westworld is going to take up the slack in HBO's schedule , I know for one I don't watch Leftovers even tho it is ok.

I think the idea of keeping a share , if not most of the GoT viewers would be a spin off. I don't really see D&D doing it , tho maybe as executive producers , pass show running to Bryan Cogman and Dave Hill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

still feel myself a bit cheated
not all 10 episodes in 7&8 seasons
when even 10 for me was not enough

 

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HBO still has not confirmed how many episodes in season 8. (It is known what D&D say, but that's not from HBO, yet.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2016 at 6:27 AM, boojam said:

I don't think Westworld is going to take up the slack in HBO's schedule , I know for one I don't watch Leftovers even tho it is ok.

I think the idea of keeping a share , if not most of the GoT viewers would be a spin off. I don't really see D&D doing it , tho maybe as executive producers , pass show running to Bryan Cogman and Dave Hill?

I'll tell you what I'd LOVE to see, and I've been saying it for a couple of years:

GRRM as show runner, with three or four people directly below him, reporting to him.

I know, I know, he's got the final book to write...but honestly, I'm not sure we're ever going to see it anyway.

If we want maximum ASOIAF from GRRM, the way to go is to make him the TOP show runner, sketching out plots in broad strokes and outlines, with people below him filling in details, then crank out a season a year.

In that way, we could probably get the equivalent of five to ten more ASOIAF books out of GRRM, which is NEVER going to happen just by him writing novels.

Ask yourself:  Would I rather have 1 more book, or 5 or 10 more SEASONS of ASOIAF?  Much as I love the books (and the books ARE better, as books almost always are)...I'd take 5 or 10 more seasons of canon ASOIAF from GRRM over one more book, which we MIGHT never even see anyway (I believe GRRM will be 69 soon and I'm surely not saying that's ancient, but at his current writing pace the final book could easily take him into his mid-70's)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2016 at 11:21 AM, scotcat said:

So they've basically confirmed what D&D have said as well as what the fans all thought was going to happen anyway.  It's good they've gone on record and this is coming from HBO - there's no room for confusion on the issue.  Season 8 is it.

As for the spin off...I'd prefer we got a prequel series/mini series as opposed to a spin off.

I'm not sure there's a single definition of "spin-off," but I think a prequel could BE  a spin-off.

For a long time I thought when the current run was over they'd do a prequel focused on Robert's Rebellion, but now I'm not so sure.  Although I'd LOVE to see a prequel based on Robert's Rebellion, I think it's more likely they would do spin-offs where there has not been so much already revealed (don't get me wrong, though, I'll take a prequel, too. It they make ANYTHING, I'm sure I'll be sitting on my couch watching it)

Having said all that, here are two spin-offs I'd love to see:

(1)  Jaime and Bronn as main characters, with Pod and Brienne regularly appearing.  I think this would have great potential for adventuring, but unfortunately I strongly believe Jaime is going to die in the final battle (a hero).

(2)  Arya Stark and Lyanna Mormont as main characters, many others guest-appearing.  Tremendous potential here, they are both wildly popular characters, both VERY young, with lots of adventures and romances ahead of them.  I'd like to see them as great friends, adventuring together (though not quite in the same way as Jaime/Bronn/Pod/Brienne would be off on adventures.  This show would have more politics and scheming, but of course Arya would have to cross people off on a fairly regular basis, too.  Arya's face-changing could lend itself well to lots of intrigue and secret missions, spying, gathering information and crossing people off)

Edited by Cron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cron said:

I'm not sure there's a single definition of "spin-off," but I think a prequel could BE  a spin-off.

No, a prequel is a different thing entirely. Would you consider the Hobbit a spin off or a prequel to LotR

A spin off would consist of taking one or more characters from the existing show (e.g. Jaime & Brienne or Arya & Lyanna Mormont) and basing a show around them, set in the same tv 'world' as GoT.

A prequel is a story that takes place prior to the events of the main series - the Dunk & Egg novellas or the Dance of Dragons novella - but has characters that aren't in the show itself.

Personally, I'd rather see some of the historical events we have information on, than a spin off with original material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cron said:

Ask yourself:  Would I rather have 1 more book, or 5 or 10 more SEASONS of ASOIAF?  Much as I love the books (and the books ARE better, as books almost always are)...I'd take 5 or 10 more seasons of canon ASOIAF from GRRM over one more book, which we MIGHT never even see anyway (I believe GRRM will be 69 soon and I'm surely not saying that's ancient, but at his current writing pace the final book could easily take him into his mid-70's)

If I remember correctly GRRM signed a contract with HBO(?) to develop 'something' for them, but he seems to have mentioned it was not ASOIAF related. Have heard nothing (no surprise) about this for a long long time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cron said:

 

Having said all that, here are two spin-offs I'd love to see:

(1)  Jaime and Bronn as main characters, with Pod and Brienne regularly appearing.  I think this would have great potential for adventuring, but unfortunately I strongly believe Jaime is going to die in the final battle (a hero).

(2)  Arya Stark and Lyanna Mormont as main characters, many others guest-appearing.  Tremendous potential here, they are both wildly popular characters, both VERY young, with lots of adventures and romances ahead of them.  I'd like to see them as great friends, adventuring together (though not quite in the same way as Jaime/Bronn/Pod/Brienne would be off on adventures.  This show would have more politics and scheming, but of course Arya would have to cross people off on a fairly regular basis, too.  Arya's face-changing could lend itself well to lots of intrigue and secret missions, spying, gathering information and crossing people off)

Do they fight crime?

Seriously those ideas are horrible. ASOIAF/GoT lives of its variety of characters so cutting it down like that would not be a good idea imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, scotcat said:

No, a prequel is a different thing entirely. Would you consider the Hobbit a spin off or a prequel to LotR

A spin off would consist of taking one or more characters from the existing show (e.g. Jaime & Brienne or Arya & Lyanna Mormont) and basing a show around them, set in the same tv 'world' as GoT.

A prequel is a story that takes place prior to the events of the main series - the Dunk & Egg novellas or the Dance of Dragons novella - but has characters that aren't in the show itself.

Personally, I'd rather see some of the historical events we have information on, than a spin off with original material.

Well, it's an interesting conversation, but consider that a prequel can ALSO "consist of taking one or more characters from the existing show (e.g. Jaime & Brienne or Arya & Lyanna Mormont) and basing a show around them, set in the same tv 'world' as GoT," and thus a prequel can also be a spin-off, even by your definition.

Specific example?  Robert's Rebellion.  Both a prequel and a spin-off, it would have QUITE a few characters from the existing show, and be based around them, set in the same t.v. world of GOT.

But hey, it's cool, just making friendly conversation.  As I think I basically mentioned above, I don't think there is a single, "set in stone," definition of the word "spin-off," so maybe we're both right, depending on how you look at it.  Also, I'd be happy with a prequel, too (for a long time, my first choice of another show would have been Robert's Rebellion, clearly a prequel.  Now, though, while I'd still love to see that,  I think for my No. 1 choice I'm leaning towards Arya and Lyanna Mormont, with regular guest appearances by other characters from GOT)

Edited by Cron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Do they fight crime?

Seriously those ideas are horrible. ASOIAF/GoT lives of its variety of characters so cutting it down like that would not be a good idea imho.

Well, I'm open to discussing other suggestions.

Do you have any?

(By the way, I don't think almost ANYTHING would be "horrible."  As a huge GOT/ASOIAF fan, I'll take anything I can get.  HARRR!!!  Maybe you've got some ideas that would be cool.  Odds are good I'd be fine with that, too, even if it's just "GOT Part 2," although I think that's QUITE unlikely.  My understanding is that the actor budget is steadily growing. Paring it down to a few main characters from GOT while adding OTHER, NEW characters at the same time would probably be cheaper, and thus more likely to happen.  Just cuz I suggested some main characters and VERY broad plot ideas does NOT mean we can't also have a "variety of characters" (quote from you) in the same show)

Edited by Cron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, boojam said:

If I remember correctly GRRM signed a contract with HBO(?) to develop 'something' for them, but he seems to have mentioned it was not ASOIAF related. Have heard nothing (no surprise) about this for a long long time now.

Interesting, I'd probably (almost definitely, actually) be willing to give that a try, too.

My guess, though, would be that more ASOIAF stuff is by far the most likely thing, for reasons that have been mentioned (including the average 25 million viewers per episode of GOT which, as I understand it, makes it far and away HBO's most successful show)

I think it's also significant that, as I understand it, GRRM now makes more money from the show than his books (last I heard, I saw it reported he makes about $15 million/year from HBO, and about $10 million/year from the books).  If they were to go the route I'm suggesting, GRRM could relax a little more, too.  I'm guessing writing a novel is much more work intensive than being a Grand Storyteller for HBO, weaving the broad framework of plot lines and story arcs, and letting others fill in the fine details.  If the dollar figures can be made to work, maybe HBO can make GRRM an offer he can't refuse, and abandon the final book, which WOULD make me a little sad to never see the book series officially finished, but like I said, at his age I'd rather get 5 or 10 more canon SEASONS of GOT from GRRM than only one more novel in six, or seven, or maybe even eight years from now))

Edited by Cron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if they were to do a spinoff it have a suitable namebut focus on a completely different storyline each season. Some could be past storylines, others relating to events after the "Game of Thrones" tv series ended.

Eg. Season 1 and the ideal place to start would be Roberts Rebellion. A detailed look at the events surrounding and leading up to the death of Aerys, battle at the Trident and coronation of Robert.

Key Characters: Rhaegar Targaryen, Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark, Jon Arryn,  Brandon Stark, Rickard Stark, Catelyn Tully, Lyanna Stark, Aerys Targaryen, Jaime Lannister, Cersei Lannister, Lysa Tully, Varys, Petyr Baelish, Barristan Selmy, Arthur Dayne, Gerold Hightower, Grandmaster Pycelle, Tywin Lannister, Hoster Tully, Elia Martell, The Mountain, + various key bannermen to the major houses. 

Plot: Season would start with the Kingdoms in relative peace. Among many things in this season to play out: the worsening of Aerys' madness, Tywin quitting as Hand after Aerys refuses to marry Cersei to Rhaegar; the bond between Robert, Ned, Jon Arryn; exploration of Rhaegars complex character and his relationships with Elia and Lyanna (as well with his own father), the list goes on.... Easily a season worth of material.

Season 2 could possibly go even further back and focus on the conquest of Westeros. It would have a smaller character focus (primarily around Aegon and his sisters) but also with some character exploration of the old Kings whose forces he faced (eg Harren the Black) and the season could end with the start of the construction of the Red Keep (which was later completed by Aegons son).

Season 3 could then focus on events directly after the Game of Thrones tv series ending, following the futures of the characters that survive season 8.

Season 4 would then branch off into side stories that might only last 3-4 episodes each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:01 AM, Cron said:

Well, it's an interesting conversation, but consider that a prequel can ALSO "consist of taking one or more characters from the existing show (e.g. Jaime & Brienne or Arya & Lyanna Mormont) and basing a show around them, set in the same tv 'world' as GoT," and thus a prequel can also be a spin-off, even by your definition.

Specific example?  Robert's Rebellion.  Both a prequel and a spin-off, it would have QUITE a few characters from the existing show, and be based around them, set in the same t.v. world of GOT.

But hey, it's cool, just making friendly conversation.  As I think I basically mentioned above, I don't think there is a single, "set in stone," definition of the word "spin-off," so maybe we're both right, depending on how you look at it.  Also, I'd be happy with a prequel, too (for a long time, my first choice of another show would have been Robert's Rebellion, clearly a prequel.  Now, though, while I'd still love to see that,  I think for my No. 1 choice I'm leaning towards Arya and Lyanna Mormont, with regular guest appearances by other characters from GOT)

A spin off using known characters with original material is something completely different to a prequel -  Surely you can see that?  Its the difference between Joey and Friends, the vampire diaries and the originals & the Hobbit and LotR. The 1st two examples are spin offs the latter is not.

We have a good deal of information on the Dance of Dragons or Dunk on Egg (which would constitute a prequel), but a spin off using Arya & Lyanna?  I'd have no interest in that at all.  A spin off like that could ruin GoT by association

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2016 at 7:08 AM, Cron said:

Well, I'm open to discussing other suggestions.

Do you have any?

(By the way, I don't think almost ANYTHING would be "horrible."  As a huge GOT/ASOIAF fan, I'll take anything I can get.  HARRR!!!  Maybe you've got some ideas that would be cool.  Odds are good I'd be fine with that, too, even if it's just "GOT Part 2," although I think that's QUITE unlikely.  My understanding is that the actor budget is steadily growing. Paring it down to a few main characters from GOT while adding OTHER, NEW characters at the same time would probably be cheaper, and thus more likely to happen.  Just cuz I suggested some main characters and VERY broad plot ideas does NOT mean we can't also have a "variety of characters" (quote from you) in the same show)

Do I have suggestions? Yes.

1) A Duncan and Egg series. You know based of the actual books written by GRRM, not an artificial extension where untalented hacks shove obnoxious "fan favorites" down our throats.

2)Something based on the Valyrian Freehold before the Doom, there is enough story potential here. Though I can also see this turning out very, very bad. Very.

3) The Blackfyre Rebellions.

4)Robert's Rebellion.

And IDK I wouldn't take anything I can get only because a brand name is associated with it. Would you even keep watching if the show was atrocious and nonsensical even when compared to Season 5? Imagine every character acting like the Sand Snakes, would you still keep watching "because its ASOIAF/GOT!!!!"?

As to your ideas; they not only sound boring, they make very little sense; it's almost certain at this point that Jaime will croak before its over, and a good chance that Arya will as well.

Plus, the pairing up of Jaime and Bronn is atrocious since it turns Jaime into a "straight man" to the antics of a hopelessly sanitized Bronn (both compared to the books and earlier seasons) while the Arya and Lyanna team up comes out of the blue, they haven't even met each other yet, there is no telling if they get along and I can't see Lyanna taking up with Arya's shit for an extended period of time (plus Lyanna has to govern Bear Island, she can't go on adventures whenever she feels like).

Your "very broad ideas" sound like buddy cop shows from the 70s. Who's their long suffering, permanently puzzled informant? Jon? Tyrion? Will the Bad Pussy be featured as Bronn's love interest?  Or are you envisioning a Hercules TLJ or Xena TWP deal? That wouldn't be desirable either.

Plus look at how interconnected everything is, you can't just have all the other characters blink out of existence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Do I have suggestions? Yes.

1) A Duncan and Egg series. You know based of the actual books written by GRRM, not an artificial extension where untalented hacks shove obnoxious "fan favorites" down our throats.

2)Something based on the Valyrian Freehold before the Doom, there is enough story potential here. Though I can also see this turning out very, very bad. Very.

3) The Blackfyre Rebellions.

4)Robert's Rebellion.

And IDK I wouldn't take anything I can get only because a brand name is associated with it. Would you even keep watching if the show was atrocious and nonsensical even when compared to Season 5? Imagine every character acting like the Sand Snakes, would you still keep watching "because its ASOIAF/GOT!!!!"?

As to your ideas; they not only sound boring, they make very little sense; it's almost certain at this point that Jaime will croak before its over, and a good chance that Arya will as well.

Plus, the pairing up of Jaime and Bronn is atrocious since it turns Jaime into a "straight man" to the antics of a hopelessly sanitized Bronn (both compared to the books and earlier seasons) while the Arya and Lyanna team up comes out of the blue, they haven't even met each other yet, there is no telling if they get along and I can't see Lyanna taking up with Arya's shit for an extended period of time (plus Lyanna has to govern Bear Island, she can't go on adventures whenever she feels like).

Your "very broad ideas" sound like buddy cop shows from the 70s. Who's their long suffering, permanently puzzled informant? Jon? Tyrion? Will the Bad Pussy be featured as Bronn's love interest?  Or are you envisioning a Hercules TLJ or Xena TWP deal? That wouldn't be desirable either.

Plus look at how interconnected everything is, you can't just have all the other characters blink out of existence.

(a)  I would watch all of your suggested shows.  I guess when I said I'll take what I can get, I should have been more specific and said I'll at least TRY anything I can get, but yeah, IF it's garbage, I'll stop watching, obviously. (Three of your four suggestions may even be reasonably viable, but not the Valyrian stuff, in my opinion.   Too much uncharted territory, and the special effects costs would be astronomical.  I confidently predict the Valyrian stuff is not happening)

(b)  As I've mentioned in other places (maybe even this thread above, I don't recall offhand), I would consider it ideal if GRRM would take over as sole show runner, plotting stories and outlines in broad strokes, and letting others fill in some of the final details.  In this way, I believe we would get FAR more "canon ASOIAF" than any other way I can reasonably imagine (definitely including GRRM spending the next 6 or 7 years writing just one more book, at which time he will be in his mid-70's).  Having said that, while it's true other creators might produce garbage, it's also true others might do great.  (Star Wars 7 was a HUGE success, and a great movie, even though George Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney a number of years ago and had NO control over Star Wars 7, far as I know.)

(c)  I agree with you that Jaime is VERY likely to die.  In fact, I've already mentioned it a number of times, including in this thread, as I recall.  Indeed, I believe I specifically mentioned the Bronn and Jaime thing was unlikely b/c I think Jaime is going to die, but I threw the Bronn and Jaime spin-off out there anyway as something I'd like to see (who knows, maybe he'll live)

(d)  I love the scenes with Jaime and Bronn.  In fact, they are, in my opinion, the single biggest improvement from books to show (although I'm guessing you dislike every change from books to show, cuz I think you seem to be a purist.  Am I right, or is there anything you like better in the shows than books?), and I think a LOT of Bronn fans would agree with me, since in the books Bronn has basically faded off the stage.

(e)  Arya and Lyanna:

     (i) Yeah, I know they haven't met yet.

     (ii) I think it's extremely likely they will meet, if not in the regular run of the series then later in the future.

     (iii) I think Arya is VERY unlikely to die in the regular run of the series (in fact, I think she's one of the "safest" characters there is) 

     (iv) We have no reason to believe they will not get along, and several reasons to believe they will.  They are close in age, both from the north, and neither takes garbage from just about anybody.  

     (v) If you look up above, I'm confident you'll find my post specifically saying Lyanna's role would be different from Arya's, and I specifically described some of the ways they would be diffferent.  That's part of what would make it interesting, their different skill sets and areas of expertise would allow us to cover BOTH the political angles and the more conventional adventuring angles (both Arya and Lyanna would do some of both, but obviously Lyanna would be heavy on the politics, and Arya would be heavy on the adventuring, as I mentioned above)

     (vi)  Although I would be fine watching any or all of your suggestions, I think the Arya and Lyanna type of show is FAR more likely to happen, both b/c of production costs involved in more "grand scale epics" (my words), and b/c THAT'S how spin-offs work, they take a few characters from the original blockbuster hit show and spiin-them off into their own show so there's a sense of familiarity and continuity.  Arya and Lyanna are PRIME candidates for this, in my opinion, BOTH b/c they are both such wildly popular characters and b/c they are so young and thus have so much adventuring (political and otherwise) ahead of them.

(f)  Regarding your comment that I "can't just have all the other characters blink out of existence":  Uhhhh, my friend, I'm beginning to wonder if you read my posts above, or just glanced and skimmed.  I specifically mentioned cameos and regular appearances by other well known characters who survive the regular series run, but I think we are VERY unlikely to get "GOT Part 2" (basically, continuing episodes of what we've already been getting) b/c of production costs (definitely including actors' salaries, which I've heard are becoming a factor)

Edited by Cron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First post here

My feeling is that the only way a "spinoff" really works is to set it far enough in the past that we don't know where it will go.  We know many of the details of Robert's Rebellion, and it might make a nice 2 or 3 hour movie, but its not enough for an on going series.

Perhaps something around the Targaryans coming to Westros.

Still it will be very difficult to match the dichotomy between the leaders of Westros weakening themselves, while a massive threat looms nearby that will take all of their strength to defeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now