MLB 2016: Win for Vin

Myshkin

5 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Incredibly I think it's 9-9 but the Vile won 3 of 4 this weekend.  But that's crazy because every Cub start has an ERA in the 2's and every Cards starter has an ERA in the 4's (more or less).

Well shit, were I a Dodger's fan, I'd be pulling for the Cards to get that wildcard spot then.

This Cubs SP rotation is maybe the most impressive one season showing since that Oriole staff that had like 4 20 game winners about 40 yrs ago. I was trying to remember who the big 4 were for Baltimore were that year.......Palmer. McNally, Alexander and Cuellar? I'm too lazy to look it up. Anyways what the Cubs have accomplished 1-5 is crazy scary, wondering if they will be able to cash this in in the post season though? If the Warriors could be brought down after the season they had in the NBA, It really gives one pause over how anything is possible in a short playoff.

It's because I had to move to Virginia that the Cubs will finally win the world series because I'm not back in Chicago to celebrate properly...or something like that.

In reality, I expect the Cubs to take each series one game at a time and go from there.  

14 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well shit, were I a Dodger's fan, I'd be pulling for the Cards to get that wildcard spot then.

Oh we're all rooting for the Cards to get that WC spot, but only because that'll mean the Giants will be staying home. We don't much like the filthy Redbirds either, but they do have one thing going for them: they're not the Giants. 

5 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Oh we're all rooting for the Cards to get that WC spot, but only because that'll mean the Giants will be staying home. We don't much like the filthy Redbirds either, but they do have one thing going for them: they're not the Giants. 

You're precious. I hope all of your children have tiny dicks, even the girls. 

Is anyone watching this Marlins/Mets game? Dee Gordon leading off the bottom of the first, while wearing Jose Fernandez's helmet, batting right for the first pitch, then switches to his usual hitting stance and hits his first home run of the season. Then cries all the way around the bases. Just...

Pretty diehard Cards fan here, it's been one crappy year. Injuries, Matheny being a complete fucking buffoon - oh but he's nice! and handsome! and players like him! - well quit double switching the pitcher to the goddamn 3 spot in the order. Quit running out Jonathan I'm Broken Broxton and the corpse of Jhonny Peralta. God damnit just retire or something. I really dislike Mike Matheny.  I'd dearly like the Cards to make the playoffs, but there are just so many holes. Last year I kept thinking "How the fuck do we keep winning pulling off all this bullshit?" This year, it's totally different bullshit, and we aren't winning. 

I live in New York, so I tend to enjoy the Mets for most of the season, then desperately root against them as I am now, then root for them temporarily (As I did when I was mortally relieved that the Cubs got knocked out). 

I'll be watching baseball tonight instead of the baby vomit noises that will be all I could hear if I watched that debate.

18 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Is anyone watching this Marlins/Mets game? Dee Gordon leading off the bottom of the first, while wearing Jose Fernandez's helmet, batting right for the first pitch, then switches to his usual hitting stance and hits his first home run of the season. Then cries all the way around the bases. Just...

apologies for a double post, but I just saw this while typing. My roommate is watching her cooking shows until 8, when I get my sports back, and damnit I wish I'd seen that. Replay search time

4 hours ago, Myshkin said:

It's funny...if there's one thing I'm not looking forward to its that all of the WC contenders are the boogeymen of recent Cubs success...the Mets and last year, the Giants in general, and the Cardinals, who are the Cardinals, though it seems that dragon might have been slain recently and they might be the ones the Cubs will want to see...

52 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Damn, I got home too late to see that. 

39 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Benches cleared for the second time in Toronto.  

Really? Severino kicked out? Yanks are getting straight embarrassed by all the AL East teams in contention. Just end this season.

2 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Damn, I got home too late to see that. 

Really? Severino kicked out? Yanks are getting straight embarrassed by all the AL East teams in contention. Just end this season.

Severino, Girardi, Rothschild and Thompson.  

Josh Donaldson and J.A. Happ are complete pieces of shit. Donaldson leans over the plate and a he gets nicked by a pitcher with shit control and somehow Severino is the asshole. And Happ is a douchebag for intentionally throwing at Headley.  

I can't blame Severino for hitting Smoak. 

I've only heard about the Dee Gordon thing but it sounds amazing and I will be sure to look for highlights of it later. 

AD - I kind of enjoy your rant on Matheny.  I agree he seems shaky much of the time.  But he's made the playoffs so consistently that it's not hard to see why he doesn't face too much criticism.  That said, Mattingly was in a similar situation and much of Dodger world wanted him gone.  Cards fans are more docile, perhaps.  And yes, Jonathan Broxton has been cartoonishly bad like no business in the bigs bad.

Does anyone have a theory as to why the Giants, whether they limp into the postseason or not, have been so dramatically different from the first half to the second?  It doesn't seem like they had a rash of injuries or anything.

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

Does anyone have a theory as to why the Giants, whether they limp into the postseason or not, have been so dramatically different from the first half to the second?  It doesn't seem like they had a rash of injuries or anything.

Most popular theory swirling around is the Duffy trade. He was apparently quite loved in the clubhouse. Kind of a little brother figure that everyone loved. Bit of a class clown and a prankster and very popular among his teammates. Some of the beat guys are saying that this trade kind of broke the "family first" feeling that had been fostered among the core players over the last 5 seasons are so. It reminded them that this is indeed a business, and anyone could be traded at any time. 

I buy some of that, but the two largest factors have been the turnover of the bullpen (you had numerous veterans replaced by up and comers) and zero power at the plate. The bullpen has been very Dodger like in the 2nd half of the season. 36+ blown leads or something heinous like that. They really only have 3-4 guys on this team with any kind of power.(Posey, Pence, Belt, and Crawford) Pence has been nursing a hamstring injury all year and his power numbers are down. Posey hasn't shown the same power at the plate. It's becoming pretty clear that his time behind the dish is eroding some of his effectiveness at the bat. Belt has always been a Jekyll and Hyde at the bat, and Crawford played over his head offensively last season. They need a power bat or two. Right now, they are the very definition of a station to station offense, and they are not speedy enough to play that way effectively. 

I've seen Fernandez pitch a fair number of times, with the Mets being in the same division as the Marlins. Couldn't help but to like the guy, maybe a little begrudgingly given that he always destroyed my team. 

I watched Gordon's HR live last night. Very strange mix of emotions for a baseball game. A few minutes before I was crying watching the opening ceremony, then I got chills watching the HR and Gordon crying rounding the bases, and also I was a little mad because I still wanted the Mets to win. Not a game I'm going to forget anytime soon. 

On a baseball level, this is an enormous blow to the Marlins franchise, which looked like it had the pieces to contend for a few years if they could pick up just a bit more talent. Without Fernandez I can't see it.  

Archived