George R.R. Martin is King in his own Rite.

Grizzly A Mormont

I am new to The Game of Thrones. I have watched all Seasons 1-5. I will watch season 6 just as soon as it is released.  

George RR Martin authored a book series that became very popular. Then he sold the TV Rights and a TV series was made from it. Like that has never happened before. HBO, D&D have created, what many are saying, is the most successful series in TV history.

I have not read any fantasy or horror/suspense fiction books for almost 2 decades. Back when I did, I was disappointed with the tv or movie version, every time. I feel very fortunate to have watched the Game of Thrones before reading the books. They will be the first fiction books I pick up in a very long time.

I am getting to my question. Now that HBO and producers have gone beyond the storyline of the books, they have to collaborate with GRRM to carry the story line to the end of Season 8. Now GRRM gets to write books for the finals seasons after they have aired. He can write books that go well beyond the storyline of Season 8.  I have a feeling, that the books in the series that he writes from now on, will become, by far,  the most popular fantasy fiction books of all time.

Has that ever happened before, where a show or movie series goes farther beyond the storyline of the books where the author is still alive to write the books? Of is this new territory, in which George RR Marting is King.

So, I am asking if this has ever happened before. IF it has, I know it has never happened at this level.

I don't think GRRMs stories plot will extend very far beyond the plot of the TV series.  There will be some differences of course, but the final climaxes, major character deaths, etc, will be revealed by the TV series first.  

Now, you're probably right that if they get written the last 2+ books will still sell quite well.  Many people have gotten addicted to this world.  However GRRM has been very clear this was not his intent.  He wished he had gotten the other books done by now, so that the story could be told "his way" the first time people experience it.  So I don't think it was a ploy to sell more books or anything like that.

Well selling tv rights was a "ploy" to make money, and nothing else but. I can't say I blame him for that, but it's as real as that. I think when Martin originally signed the dotted line, he thought he'd have time to finish but it didn't work out that way. As things stand, I'm just glad we're getting new material every spring. Whatever else you want to say about HBO and D&D they deliver their product consistently. If Winds comes out before season 7 I'll be pleasantly surprised.

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Well selling tv rights was a "ploy" to make money, and nothing else but.

Not really a fair characterisation.

GRRM had several offers to make films based on the books prior to the TV series offer. I don't have the figures, but it's definitely reasonable to assume that the film offers represented more money. He rejected them in favour of the TV series because he didn't believe a film adaptation could work.

ETA - and by 'work', I mean 'not be butchered beyond any recognition'. I realise people have problems with the TV adaptation. Believe me, those are nothing compared to what would have to happen to make a series of films out of the books.

So, was the TV series offer financially beneficial to GRRM? Very definitely. Was he solely motivated by the money? No. Is it therefore fair to say it was 'a "ploy" to make money, and nothing else but'? I don't think so. It was more than that: it was a chance to see his creation brought to life in the only way he felt it could be done.

On 31/07/2016 at 10:35 PM, Grizzly A Mormont said:

Has that ever happened before, where a show or movie series goes farther beyond the storyline of the books where the author is still alive to write the books? Of is this new territory, in which George RR Marting is King.

I don't know about books and movies but it happens in the anime industry all the time.

I always thought that if GRRM and/or his agent had marketing savvy they would have released the books after s5, to make sure they are up to date with the show and all the watchers go out and buy the book. It would have been a great time to get a lot out of the release, but I imagine GRRM wouldn't get too much profit from sales for this to forsake his work for money. Actually it's quite admirable thinking about it.

But GoT seems to be building to the TV equivalent of LoTR in scope and production. I guess the ending will be the telling point though. A lot of shows have lost their prestige after the ending (pun intended).

Is GRRM even working with d&d on the show anymore?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2016 at 3:35 PM, Grizzly A Mormont said:

Has that ever happened before, where a show or movie series goes farther beyond the storyline of the books where the author is still alive to write the books? Of is this new territory, in which George RR Marting is King?

TV show called "The 100" was written at the same time as the books. Only the first few chapters of the book was written when the TV show started being written. They kind of have the same thing as Thrones going on. Small differences in some places, big in others, but overall kind of the same-ish plot.

However, nothing has really been done as well as Thrones/ASOIAF in the history of TV/Books in my opinion.

On 4. August 2016 at 1:45 PM, mormont said:

Not really a fair characterisation.

GRRM had several offers to make films based on the books prior to the TV series offer. I don't have the figures, but it's definitely reasonable to assume that the film offers represented more money. He rejected them in favour of the TV series because he didn't believe a film adaptation could work.

ETA - and by 'work', I mean 'not be butchered beyond any recognition'. I realise people have problems with the TV adaptation. Believe me, those are nothing compared to what would have to happen to make a series of films out of the books.

So, was the TV series offer financially beneficial to GRRM? Very definitely. Was he solely motivated by the money? No. Is it therefore fair to say it was 'a "ploy" to make money, and nothing else but'? I don't think so. It was more than that: it was a chance to see his creation brought to life in the only way he felt it could be done.

This!!

I am so glad the books were not squeezed into three movies.

5 hours ago, Woman of War said:

This!!

I am so glad the books were not squeezed into three movies.

Totally agreed. We don't want to see the books turn on films like what they did with LOTR and the Hobbits, especially if they gonna touch upon Feast and Dance exactly. :lol:

Happens all the time in the world of manga/anime. Just google Filler Arcs, or research Full Metal Alchemist.  

That series outpaced the source material so instead of waiting for the author they just told their own story.  Later, once the author had finished, the did the series again but this time they followed his material.  

Archived