What do you think Sam will find in the citadel?

Future Null Infinity

5 hours ago, dsug said:

Something about the first War for the Dawn, something about the prophecy of the Prince that was Promised, something about dragons, something about Valyrian Steel....

They could take it in a million different directions. 

Yeah, and could be "all of the above."

I would be fine with that, if Sam found a real treasure trove of information on a variety of subjects.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:36 AM, A spoon of knife and fork said:

That's a great thought!  I like it.

I was thinking he might find the lost techniques for making Valyrian steel.  A large force armed with VS swords would be quite capable of holding back the White Walkers - though we don't know if it works on the zombies I guess?  Even with that, it's important he have a real VS sword (hearts bane) to compare to, to make sure that whatever smith he finds to follow the instructions is able to replicate it.

just had a thought - what if Sam happens to run into a certain apprentence smith we all know while in the south? :) he could be the one to try it out...

I think something more of the technical side rather than the historical is more likely simply because Bran is likely to be able to provide the latter to much greater dramatic effect, perhaps his reach does not extend beyond Westeros as well so the secretes of Valyrian Steel might not be something he has access to?

I spose you could argue perhaps Bran finds out something he doesn't want to share, maybe about the background of the Starks and Sam also finds it out and does share it?

On 2.8.2016 at 7:02 PM, Ashes Of Westeros said:

1) I think Sam would find a cure from greyscale and Jorah would show up in Oldtown aka the center of knowledge. Sam would cure Jorah and tell him about the death of his father, Jeor Mormont.

Jorah already knows his fathers fate, Tyrion told him.

26 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Jorah already knows his fathers fate, Tyrion told him.

Although I spose circumstance could count for something knowing that Jon specifically avenged his killing which may influence him. Personally though I think Jorah will find the cure in Essos along with some more hints at his role with Dany who he'll return to in time for the Walker threat.

34 minutes ago, MoreOrLess said:

Although I spose circumstance could count for something knowing that Jon specifically avenged his killing which may influence him. Personally though I think Jorah will find the cure in Essos along with some more hints at his role with Dany who he'll return to in time for the Walker threat.

I personally think Jorah is being gendry'd and the quest to find the cure ist his rowboat.

Also: Him going to Oldtown and revealing his identity to anyone and especially Sam there would be kind of strange. Remember, he is still wanted for slavery in Westeros and especially in the North. So if he goes back he will try to stay unrecognized, especially to a brother of the NW.

2 hours ago, Rhollo said:

I personally think Jorah is being gendry'd and the quest to find the cure ist his rowboat.

Also: Him going to Oldtown and revealing his identity to anyone and especially Sam there would be kind of strange. Remember, he is still wanted for slavery in Westeros and especially in the North. So if he goes back he will try to stay unrecognized, especially to a brother of the NW.

This is the show remember ;)

I keep thinking of Sam's line to Jon from the books...

"The oldest histories we have were written after the Andals came to Westeros. The First Men only left us runes on rocks, so everything we know about the Age of Heroes and the Dawn Age and the Long Night comes from accounts set down by septons thousands of years later. There are archmaesters at the Citadel who question all of it. Those old histories are full of kings who reigned for a hundred years, and knights riding around a thousand years before there were knights."

I think that last little bit... that stories have been attributed to periods before they could possibly happen by millennia... is going to be the key to everything. That the history and sequence of events that everyone thinks they know about the Dawn Age, The Age of Heroes and the Long Night are wrong because events have been placed completely out of order.

My theory is that these events happened much closer together and even overlapped in places. Based on the show info that the Children created the Walkers to fight the men who were destroying them, I think the Long Night actually preceded the Pact, the First Men might have some association with Azor Ahai/the Bloodstone Emperor (perhaps he was even The First King) and that, contrary to the stories, it wasn't the Children who made peace with Men because they were losing (if we've seen anything of Men in the series it is that they would just press the advantage and wipe them out) it was the Last Hero of Men who sued for peace with the Children because THEY were losing to the Children/Others (terms which included abandoning their gods for the Children's gods/the Old Gods).

I think what Sam is going to learn is that there is some way to end the threat of the Others without fighting... that the Last Hero was actually Bran the Builder and that part of the Pact was a ritual to performed periodically (say once a generation) by the head of House Stark as a sign that Men still honored the Pact (a Stark must always be at Winterfell because only they can perform the ritual and the ritual is conducted at Winterfell... probably in front of the weirwood).

The Others are the enforcement clause. They have returned because the ritual was not performed at the appointed time (because Rickard and Brandon were murdered before they could pass on the ritual to Ned). The Night King can't be stopped by force of arms, only by renewing the Pact by performing the ritual.

Of course the Citadel doesn't actually have what the actual ritual entailed. That would be where Bran comes in... once he knows what to look for he can find an instance of the ritual being performed and thereby stop the threat.

The other thing I think Sam will discover in the depths of the Citadel is that the war between Fire/Azor Ahai/Bloodstone Emperor and Ice/Others/Children is what borked up the seasons and that, should Ice and Fire ever meet in battle again, it could throw the seasons off even worse than before, possibly even causing one of them to become permanent (eternal icy night or eternal blazing day).

That would be the cue for someone to realized that Dany's dragon-led army and the Other's army of the dead are set on a collision course with each other... say Winterfell... so that you've got the countdown timer of finding and performing the ritual to stop the Others before the inevitable battle borks the seasons up even worse.

Archived