aSoIaF characters and their tWoIaF and prequels counterpart.

Jon's Queen Consort

Basically what the title said. It’s pretty obvious that there are some parallels between some of the ASOIAF characters with characters who appear in TWOIAF and the prequel novellas (Dunk & Egg, TPATQ and Rogue Prince). So, which characters do you believe that are parallels?

For me;

Val and Nymeria.

Stannis and Maekar

Robert and Breakspear

Robert and the Laughing Storm

Cersei and Hellicent

2 hours ago, Nevets said:

Brienne & Podrick and Dunk & Egg

Dunk vs. Aerion Brightflame and Arya vs Joffrey

I was gonna say Brienne & Pod and Dunk & Egg, too :thumbsup:

To me, the Dance of Dragons seems to be between Dany and Aegon, with who is legit even if neither is blah, blah, blah...

Val and Nymeria. Sounds good to me.

Sansa sounds to me like she could be a throwback to Florys the Fox, the cleverest of Garth's children, who kept three husbands, each ignorant of the existence of the others. (From their sons sprang House Florent, House Ball, and House Peake). This would link Sansa's white fox fur cloak she wears when she builds that snowy Winterfell at the Vale. She is in training to be quite clever. 

4 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Basically what the title said. It’s pretty obvious that there are some parallels between some of the ASOIAF characters with characters who appear in TWOIAF and the prequel novellas (Dunk & Egg, TPATQ and Rogue Prince). So, which characters do you believe that are parallels?

For me;

Val and Nymeria.

Stannis and Maekar

Robert and Breakspear

Robert and the Laughing Storm

Cersei and Hellicent

What do Robert have in common with Baelor Breakspear? They are both loved but Bob is... Bob. He's not clever. I can totally see the Laughing Storm and Robert, though.

1 minute ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

He's not clever

Not true. 

1 minute ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

What do Robert have in common with Baelor Breakspear?

They were both charismatic, loved, good warriors, good men and were willing to fight for what they thought that was right. 

What about Mushroom to Tyrion? Not just because if the dwarf thing m, but both know lots of details about the ongoings of certain people and controversies in thier world. I guess, if I think about it, the dwarf thing too because people don't take them serious???

Just an idea. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Val is not a good comparison for Nymeria. She is a Wildling woman, which means she's a warrior. Nymeria was not. 

GRRM compares Nymeria to Daenerys. 

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Answers_to_Old_Questions/

Val is not actually a weapon wielding warrior. Morna whitemask is, as is Harma Dogshead.

George said he would be adding new characters in ASOS, which he did and that was when Val was introduced. This interview you linked to was done a year before ASOS was released and I don't think George would have given too much of his plot for Storm away before the book came out.

• From the SSM:Q: Also, just how much impact did the Rhoynar have on the modern customs of Dorne? Beyond the gender-blind inheritance laws, the couple of Rhoynish gods that smallfolk might have turned into saints or angelic-type beings, and perhaps the round shields, that is. In particular, given that Nymeria was a warrior-queen, is there a certain amazon tradition?
    • GRRM answer: The Rhoynar did impact Dorne in a number of ways, some of which will be revealed in later books. Women definitely have more rights in Dorne, but I would not call it an "Amazon" tradition, necessarily. Nymeria had more in common with someone like Daenerys or Joan d'Arc than with Brienne or Xena the Warrior Princess.
      • Just a note about the comparison: George is making a personality comparison between Nymeria and Dany because, at this interview, there was no Val. Val was introduced when needed and did not waste page space beforehand.

George also said this after Storm was released and people had a chance to read it...

• GeoRR: Well, there are lots of new characters... you met some of them in the four chapters... you sure you heard the name right?

SerBenjen: That's how they spelled it. I just thought it sounded a bit odd.

GeoRR: New characters in ASOS include...hmmm... the Queen of Thorns, the Magnar of Thenn, Tormund Giantsbane, Ser Garlan Tyrell, Queen Margaery's cousins, the sellswords Daario Naharis, Brown Ben Plumm, and Mero the Titan's Bastard, the singer Tom o' Sevens, the outlaws Lem Lemoncloak, Jack-Be-Lucky, and Anguy the archer, the black brothers Small Paul, Satin, Owen the Oaf, and Sweet Donnel Hill, a Dornish paramour named Ellaria Sand... many more...http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Shields_of_the_North1

• GRRM: "Well, this goes with what I said before, the story changes and expands as I write. I wish I was able to go back and make revised drafts, but that's not going to happen."
  • GRRM finished (in the hallway now) by saying that he "wished some past things weren't such strong foreshadowing," and that he, "wished some new things had stronger foreshadowing then." 
  • /\ for the last two http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Balticon_Report

I have recently tried to pair Dany with Nymeria, and I don't think GRRM decided to go that way because of how Dany is already fairing in Essos, she is not leading a sick and scared people to a new land and she has a hundred titles that give her the name "Queen", which is something Nymeria went against. Read here if you have a few minutes :cheers:

Meh. Val is a throwaway character who I highly doubt will have any real importance other than being part of Stannis' offer to tempt to Jon. She will never be queen of anything or rule a kingdom like Nymeria did. 

Still think Daenerys fits better. 

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Meh. Val is a throwaway character who I highly doubt will have any real importance other than being part of Stannis' offer to tempt to Jon. She will never be queen of anything or rule a kingdom like Nymeria did. 

Still think Daenerys fits better. 

I don't want to derail this thread with that type of discussion, but would love to talk about it more on the thread I linked to, because, Dany is already quite different than Nymeria and many fans think that Arya is the new Nymeria because she named her wolf Nymeria. And, Stannis is already well away from Jon, stuck with his army in a snowstorm, and Jon is still thinking of Val often and what he (Jon) wants.

4 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Val is not actually a weapon wielding warrior. Morna whitemask is, as is Harma Dogshead.

George said he would be adding new characters in ASOS, which he did and that was when Val was introduced. This interview you linked to was done a year before ASOS was released and I don't think George would have given too much of his plot for Storm away before the book came out.

• From the SSM:Q: Also, just how much impact did the Rhoynar have on the modern customs of Dorne? Beyond the gender-blind inheritance laws, the couple of Rhoynish gods that smallfolk might have turned into saints or angelic-type beings, and perhaps the round shields, that is. In particular, given that Nymeria was a warrior-queen, is there a certain amazon tradition?
    • GRRM answer: The Rhoynar did impact Dorne in a number of ways, some of which will be revealed in later books. Women definitely have more rights in Dorne, but I would not call it an "Amazon" tradition, necessarily. Nymeria had more in common with someone like Daenerys or Joan d'Arc than with Brienne or Xena the Warrior Princess.
      • Just a note about the comparison: George is making a personality comparison between Nymeria and Dany because, at this interview, there was no Val. Val was introduced when needed and did not waste page space beforehand.

George also said this after Storm was released and people had a chance to read it...

• GeoRR: Well, there are lots of new characters... you met some of them in the four chapters... you sure you heard the name right?

SerBenjen: That's how they spelled it. I just thought it sounded a bit odd.

GeoRR: New characters in ASOS include...hmmm... the Queen of Thorns, the Magnar of Thenn, Tormund Giantsbane, Ser Garlan Tyrell, Queen Margaery's cousins, the sellswords Daario Naharis, Brown Ben Plumm, and Mero the Titan's Bastard, the singer Tom o' Sevens, the outlaws Lem Lemoncloak, Jack-Be-Lucky, and Anguy the archer, the black brothers Small Paul, Satin, Owen the Oaf, and Sweet Donnel Hill, a Dornish paramour named Ellaria Sand... many more...http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Shields_of_the_North1

• GRRM: "Well, this goes with what I said before, the story changes and expands as I write. I wish I was able to go back and make revised drafts, but that's not going to happen."
  • GRRM finished (in the hallway now) by saying that he "wished some past things weren't such strong foreshadowing," and that he, "wished some new things had stronger foreshadowing then." 
  • /\ for the last two http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Balticon_Report

I have recently tried to pair Dany with Nymeria, and I don't think GRRM decided to go that way because of how Dany is already fairing in Essos, she is not leading a sick and scared people to a new land and she has a hundred titles that give her the name "Queen", which is something Nymeria went against. Read here if you have a few minutes :cheers:

Lol for someone who clings to dance of dragons and sure about it will be about dany and YG fighting ...you seem to be so against this comparison made by grrm about dany and nymeria ..

Can I guide your own post to you in regards to dance of dragons..

Yes he introduced lots of new characters ...and how that changes dany being compared to nymeria ...they still have strong parallels and personalities ..

He doesn't evenname val in that post ...that shows how significant she is. ..and what's the line with she doesn't waste pages ..are you saying GRRm waste pages on characters that are introduced when they should not.

Its funny people go all this length even after author own words just because it doesnt match their bias and dislike .

Iam sure people will come up with how she can't be compared to aegon the conqueror and its jon..or it will be argon is bad and evil so it makes sense dany is paralleling him..

14 minutes ago, Drogonthedread said:

Lol for someone who clings to dance of dragons and sure about it will be about dany and YG fighting ...you seem to be so against this comparison made by grrm about dany and nymeria ..

Can I guide your own post to you in regards to dance of dragons..

Yes he introduced lots of new characters ...and how that changes dany being compared to nymeria ...they still have strong parallels and personalities ..

He doesn't evenname val in that post ...that shows how significant she is. ..and what's the line with she doesn't waste pages ..are you saying GRRm waste pages on characters that are introduced when they should not.

Its funny people go all this length even after author own words just because it doesnt match their bias and dislike .

Iam sure people will come up with how she can't be compared to aegon the conqueror and its jon..or it will be argon is bad and evil so it makes sense dany is paralleling him..

I don't " cling " to anything, especially the Dance of Dragons part about Aegon. I found parrallels during a recent PatQ read that stuck out to me with what the books seems to set us up for. Big F'ing deal. 

George said his characters and stories changed along the way. His words and this was after Storm was released.

People say characters who aren't there in the beginning can't possibly be important now or to the end. Why? George has said he will introduce new characters when those characters are needed and he did. 

I showed a comparison of author words before the book, and then after. So what's the problem? I am backing up my claim instead of saying, "I have a feeling". 

And, what the hell with putting words in my mouth that Dany can't be compared with Aegon the conqueror??? I never said anything like that and clearly you have no idea what I think will happen with Daenery's story arc. 

Sounds like someone else pissed you off and you are taking it out on me??? Well, keep taking it somewhere else because I never bashed any ideas you have and only showed proof for mine. That's how it works when we don't have the next book yet. 

14 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I don't " cling " to anything, especially the Dance of Dragons part about Aegon. I found parrallels during a recent PatQ read that stuck out to me with what the books seems to set us up for. Big F'ing deal. 

George said his characters and stories changed along the way. His words and this was after Storm was released.

People say characters who aren't there in the beginning can't possibly be important now or to the end. Why? George has said he will introduce new characters when those characters are needed and he did. 

I showed a comparison of author words before the book, and then after. So what's the problem? I am backing up my claim instead of saying, "I have a feeling". 

And, what the hell with putting words in my mouth that Dany can't be compared with Aegon the conqueror??? I never said anything like that and clearly you have no idea what I think will happen with Daenery's story arc. 

Sounds like someone else pissed you off and you are taking it out on me??? Well, keep taking it somewhere else because I never bashed any ideas you have and only showed proof for mine. That's how it works when we don't have the next book yet. 

I didn't say you will say that ..did i..

I said people will not you  ..that line was actually about certain sections .

2 minutes ago, Drogonthedread said:

I didn't say you will say that ..did i..

I said people will not you  ..that line was actually about certain sections .

You did direct that at me. You said in a response quote to me,"Lol for someone who clings to dance of dragons and sure about it will be about dany and YG fighting ...you seem to be so against this comparison made by grrm about dany and nymeria ..

And then you pointed out my other statements and took some sort of oddly strong issue against someone who never replied to you in the first place. 

Seriously, what the hell? I have plenty of "forum friends", or whatever, on this site that I really don't agree with in some things, but totally agree with in other ideas. 

To me, it seems George rearranged his garden and planted a few new flowers as he said he does. That damned outline was never his official synopsis in the first place. It was required by the publisher and, as he said, he made shit up. 

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

You did direct that at me. You said in a response quote to me,"Lol for someone who clings to dance of dragons and sure about it will be about dany and YG fighting ...you seem to be so against this comparison made by grrm about dany and nymeria ..

And then you pointed out my other statements and took some sort of oddly strong issue against someone who never replied to you in the first place. 

Seriously, what the hell? I have plenty of "forum friends", or whatever, on this site that I really don't agree with in some things, but totally agree with in other ideas. 

To me, it seems George rearranged his garden and planted a few new flowers as he said he does. That damned outline was never his official synopsis in the first place. It was required by the publisher and, as he said, he made shit up. 

Again I answerd perfectly well with what you said in your post ..

If you are firm believer of GRRm gardening style then you should not be sure about anythjng even dance until it happens in the books ..

my question was very simple how does introducing new characters change the parallels or personalities dany and nymeria share ..

Say if val is nymeria ...why can't there be another who actually shares parallel with her ..

What you are basically saying is this is what I believe and not backing up your claim ...you are just using author words where he didn't even mention val and using it as proof what you believe...and you are using that to devalue the direct comparison made by author himself ..

Please don't turn this out as some thing that its not ...I was very clear in my last line ...I said 

"iam sure people will come up with how she can't be compared to aegon the conqueror and its jon." Maybe i should have added this line following that .."Like you do with  her being compared to nymeria" 

why are you bringing up the outline ..did I say anything about outline. .

So I can again use your own words against you " Sounds like someone else pissed you off and you are taking it out on me??? Well, keep taking it somewhere else because I never bashed any ideas you have and only showed proof for mine. That's how it works when we don't have the next book yet. " ..

Again its simple one guy presents a direct quote of author making direct comparison ...and you do not ..and this thread is about parallel and counterparts which means many characters can have those things among each other..

Let's just say I disagree with you and move on ..

@The Fattest Leech Why do you bother talking with hidebound people? It's not like you will have a nice conversation which could be interesting and beneficial, it will be just boring.  Seriously, they have proved that they don't want to understand so don't feed them. 

Archived