August 2016 Reads

Garett Hornwood

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm nearly finished with John Hornor Jacobs' Foreign Devils the follow up to the wonderful Incorruptibles.  I'm really liking the stuff in Tchinee, but didn't care too much for the travel getting there (although seeing Rume was interesting).  It's not quite as good as the first, but it's still pretty great.

Up next will be Peadar's The Call.  Really looking forward to it.

Love Jacobs' writing. Not read Foreign Devils yet, but even if it's not as good as The Incorruptibles, I'm sure it's still head and shoulders above much of what's out there today.

Twenty-four minutes until I get my hands on The Call. Can't wait.

7 hours ago, williamjm said:

I did like it a lot as well. I think in some ways Rothfuss' writing could be better suited to shorter formats rather than big epic fantasy trilogies (his pace of writing is probably better suited to that as well), I enjoyed The Lightning Tree from the Rogues anthology as well.

Problem is that Rothfuss says he really struggles with a shorter format, and that things invariably balloon out. The Slow Regard of Silent Things is actually an example: it was supposed to be his contribution to the Rogues anthology, but ended up becoming a novella, rather than a short story.

1 hour ago, unJon said:

Awesome! Just bought kindle version. Is this a standalone or start of series?

Two books only -- at least that's the plan. The second one is already passing through the editorial canal...

ETA: Thanks! Of course!

Marlon James' A Brief History of Seven Killings. Good read. Clearly structured similarly to Faulkner's As I Lay Dying, as James has stated. I enjoyed some povs more than others but it was very interesting. It seemed James was tackling certain aspects of Jamaican culture and the Jamaican diaspora with each pov.

On 8/31/2016 at 5:07 PM, aceluby said:

Totally agree on that.  Felt it tied everything together much better.  The only thing that doesn't work is Sam and Jon have basically the same scene in different POV, but it's only a couple chapters.  IMO it's greater than the sum of its parts.  

I really didn't mind those two chapters back-to-back, I thought it was interesting seeing two versions of the same scene.

Out of curiosity, how did you reread in respect to the Dorne reveal? I decided not to be "surprised" and read Quentyn's first chapter in the order it was put in ADWD.  My next re-read I might do a variant to make the Dorne reveal an actual surprise.

17 hours ago, Garett Hornwood said:

I really didn't mind those two chapters back-to-back, I thought it was interesting seeing two versions of the same scene.

Out of curiosity, how did you reread in respect to the Dorne reveal? I decided not to be "surprised" and read Quentyn's first chapter in the order it was put in ADWD.  My next re-read I might do a variant to make the Dorne reveal an actual surprise.

Just read the chapters in order.  I didn't follow any guide and just read each book until a repeat POV and then switched to the other book and did the same.

10 hours ago, aceluby said:

Just read the chapters in order.  I didn't follow any guide and just read each book until a repeat POV and then switched to the other book and did the same.

Ah, I used Sean T. Collin's, from All Leather Must Be Boiled, suggested reading order.

Archived