Stannis' thoughts on Dragons.

I Happened across a passage in the books recently that I hadn't thought of in ages and it really set me to thinking. Anybody think Stannis has a chance of riding a Dragon at some stage?(bear in mind that Dragonriders die and others can claim Dragons). I think it's possible and if I'm honest I think it would be fucking brilliant. 

Possibly part of GRRM's twist we are to expect? 
Obviously there's logistics issues to sort out but possible all the same no? 

Thoughts? 

Also, wonder what he was gonna say at the end before he was cut off. 

Here's the quote:

"And to mount a dragon . . . I remember the first time my father took me to court, Robert had to hold my hand. I could not have been older than four, which would have made him five or six. We agreed afterward that the king had been as noble as the dragons were fearsome." Stannis snorted. "Years later, our father told us that Aerys had cut himself on the throne that morning, so his Hand had taken his place. It was Tywin Lannister who'd so impressed us." His fingers touched the surface of the table, tracing a path lightly across the varnished hills. "Robert took the skulls down when he donned the crown, but he could not bear to have them destroyed. Dragon wings over Westeros . . . there would be such a . . ."

"Your Grace!" Davos edged forward. "Might I speak?"

15 minutes ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

He does have the blood.

And the will, the balls, the desire. It's all there. If it were possible logistically he would certainly attempt it going by his character and the text.

Will GRRM write it this way though is the question I'm curious about.

40 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

And the will, the balls, the desire. It's all there. If it were possible logistically he would certainly attempt it going by his character and the text.

Will GRRM write it this way though is the question I'm curious about.

His heart will always remain with proudwing

1 hour ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

His heart will always remain with proudwing

Stannis could finally reach the heights proudwing never could lol. I've no doubt in my mind if Stannis gets the chance to ride a Dragon, then his thoughts will drift to Proudwing and inside he will silently stick up two fingers to Robert and his Weakwing insult. 

Not really.

I believe the passage is more there to show his general attitude change regarding the Edric sacrifice. Whereas initially he was completely against it and the conversation was essentially "no, I've told you, you're a fool, leave me alone" now he's entertaining thoughts on what he could do with the power (even if he's still telling her no). Similar to how Boromir started thinking that all men would flock to his banner if he had the Ring, and that he could defeat Mordor with them, Stannis is now wondering how Westeros would react to him if he had a dragon.

Maybe if that stone beast breathing shadow fire is Melisandre's doing he'll ride one.

2 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

I'd love to see it, and if he's successful against the Bolton's (which I think he will be), I could see his next logical step for power could be to try to control a dragon. 

He does have a bit of the blood, and more so than nearly anyone else in the story, I think he deserves vindication. He's right, damnit, he's supposed to be king. Dany might respect that (to a point). 

I doubt he will be, but that would be cool. 

11 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

What would he name a dragon? Dutybringer? Lol

Storm something. He's still a Baratheon. 

11 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

I'd love to see it, and if he's successful against the Bolton's (which I think he will be), I could see his next logical step for power could be to try to control a dragon. 

He does have a bit of the blood, and more so than nearly anyone else in the story, I think he deserves vindication. He's right, damnit, he's supposed to be king. Dany might respect that (to a point). 

I doubt he will be, but that would be cool. 

Storm something. He's still a Baratheon. 

Shitstorm, and he'd show why when he took revenge on all that opposed him and his rights and duties. 

27 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

Not really.

I believe the passage is more there to show his general attitude change regarding the Edric sacrifice. Whereas initially he was completely against it and the conversation was essentially "no, I've told you, you're a fool, leave me alone" now he's entertaining thoughts on what he could do with the power (even if he's still telling her no). Similar to how Boromir started thinking that all men would flock to his banner if he had the Ring, and that he could defeat Mordor with them, Stannis is now wondering how Westeros would react to him if he had a dragon.

Maybe if that stone beast breathing shadow fire is Melisandre's doing he'll ride one.

Hmm, not sure the Boromir comparison fits, he had a kind of unhinged madness about his desire for the ring. Stannis is still all there in the head and is not constantly harping on about how he needs a Dragon to win his wars, but GRRM has dropped enough of a hint in the text to show that Stannis would absolutely without doubt grab the chance with both hands use a Dragon for his cause.

14 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

I suppose all it needs is the opportunity to present itself. We know he would not hesitate for a second to take the chance.

40 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Hmm, not sure the Boromir comparison fits, he had a kind of unhinged madness about his desire for the ring. Stannis is still all there in the head and is not constantly harping on about how he needs a Dragon to win his wars, but GRRM has dropped enough of a hint in the text to show that Stannis would absolutely without doubt grab the chance with both hands use a Dragon for his cause.

Well I quite like Boromor, so I don't think the comparison is negative. Both were in seemingly hopeless positions and expected to save the world, and also had a desire to prove themselves with the power offered by the Ring/Stone Dragon. And yeah, he was a lot further gone than Stannis, but he had been living without hope for a lot longer and the Ring itself was built to corrupt.

2 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

Well I quite like Boromor, so I don't think the comparison is negative. Both were in seemingly hopeless positions and expected to save the world, and also had a desire to prove themselves with the power offered by the Ring/Stone Dragon. And yeah, he was a lot further gone than Stannis, but he had been living without hope for a lot longer and the Ring itself was built to corrupt.

I must admit, I also liked Boromir and sympathised with him. 

Archived