Scenes that make you cry

Arch-MaesterPhilip

The end of Erin Brockavitch when Julia Roberts goes over to the sick ladies house to tell her about the huge settlement her family has been awarded. Just that look on Julia's face and the whole way they set up the scene, its so bittersweet and emotional after all the case put both plaintiffs and attorneys through.

Another older movie scene, from the Killing Fields, where Sam Waterson is playing Syndey Schandberg the Pulitzer winning journalist who helped document the Kampuchea genocide, in the scene Waterson is reunited with Dith Pran his wing man/driver/reporter who has had to escape the genocide and Schandberg flies from NYC to a Thai refugee camp where they are reunited many months after the fall of Saigon and madness in Cambodia. They both went on to work at the Times together. 

Heres the Killing Fields scene (read the comments for a feel how emotional this scene was for a lot of people, Haing Ngor won an Oscar in this role btw) 

The only time a piece of entertainment (tv show, movie, book, etc) ever made me cry was the final scenes of the Six Feet Under series finale. Bawled like a baby the first time I watched it. Even hearing the song used during the final few minutes (Breathe Me by Sia) still chokes me up.

Saving Private Ryan. The scene at the end where he is in tears asking his family if he is a good man. I saw it the first time with some WW2 vets and they, and their wives were all in tears. Kills me every damn time now.

Book that got me was Where the Red Fern Grows. I was in like 4th grade and yeah, dammit if Little Ann and Old Dan didn't get me to tears.

Tv gets me more often than films, and I find its getting more frequent these days (although that's probably just me becoming an emotional dreck). I sobbed multiple times during Penny Dreadful season 3, though the standouts were the introduction to Vanessa in season 3, pretty much all of the flashback episode, and the very last scene of the series.

Cried at OitNB 

Spoiler

When Poussey died. Fuck everyone!

I cried during Orphan Black this year

When Kendall was murdered and Clone Club pretty much shrivelled and died

thats all I can think of from recently, but I could go on and on if I thought back. Don't recall any from films though, I'll have to think on that

On August 3, 2016 at 5:57 AM, drawkcabi said:

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I just don't find this scene that sad. The idea is sad, but I've watched it several times and have never really been moved.

I never really cry because of movies/TV/video games. That said, the last Hobbit movie was almost enough to make me cry, but for all the wrong reasons. Fuck that movie.

The last scene of Blackadder Goes Forth is masterfully done.

I'd never cried because of a video game until recently, when the scene in Life is Strange where

Chloe asks Max to give her a morphine overdose, and then Max resets everything and finds Chloe sitting at her desk again

absolutely destroyed me. The ending made me tear up as well.

The final scenes of Mask, where the mom Rusty (a fantastic Cher) goes to wake up her son Rocky Dennis (Eric Stoltz), but he's dead.  She is distraught, but then starts placing push pins into the world map to indicate he's now free to go everywhere he ever dreamed.  The Grateful Dead's "Ripple" is playing in the background.  

The scene fades to the cemetery where they place baseball cards on Rocky's gravestone and Bob Seger's "Roll Me Away" swells as the credits roll. 

I tear up every time.

I usually never cry because of movies or shows but The Fault In Our Stars got me. 

Spoiler

The scene where he tells her the cancer returned when they're on vacation, and when he dies obviously. Sad but good movie. Shailene Woodley was amazing.

Bloody animated movies. I have no idea why, but just about every animated movie manipulates me into choking up, sometimes in scenes that are probably not even intended to get people all teary. the exact same scene in a live action movie would not have the same effect. I don't know why this happens and it's frikken annoying.

The Green Mile when Tom Hank's character asks John what he is suppose to say to god on his judgement day about why he killed John. And John saying to tell him that he did him a kindness cause he's so tired of all the hate in the world and being lonely. Everything about that movie makes me cry. 

*English Patient, when he's carrying her (post-crash) to the cave of swimmers and she says 'of course I've always loved you, idiot' and his face breaks.

*A River Runs Through It, closing melancholia about Paul's death/parent's fade; 'Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.'

*Uncle Matthew's death in Anne of Green Gables.

*Philadelphia, aria and death.

*Dead Poets Society, O Captain My Captain!

*Glory, final charge.

There are more, I'm sure...just not coming to mind.

I cry absurdly easily during kids movies. I'm a 35 year old man. The last time I have cried due to something happening to me or someone I know, in real life, was about 8 years ago, and before that, maybe 6 years running. Basically, I'm not the crying type.

But damnit, movies, what the heck. Books get me here and there, but they don't have the inevitable "hey it's time to cry" song playing. I am pretty used to it, and generally if I'm with a friend or more, the mood is lighter and I won't. Just me, a joint, and my projector? It's over. It's always the sappiest moments in kids movies that get me the easiest. Adult-skewed movies may be as serious as all get out, but won't even get me a glaze-over. I'm absolutely with you, The Anti Targ.

Up's intro has to be one of the more embarrassing public viewings of my life. I absolutely love Pixar movies, and went with my friend on the first weekend. I knew we'd be surrounded by families and kids, so I had an extra toke or two. In line for the best popcorn ever. Nice seats. Charming woman with me. Life is grand. Then, a very unexpected heartbreaking intro in, my chin is quivering like I'm on the north pole, and my beard is soaked. The mom on the other side of me totally saw it and patted my knee in a grandmotherly way. My friend still teases me sometimes about it.

Specific films that pull my sappy strings (other than every single damned Pixar movie ever) - Batteries Not Included,  (spoilers!) Theoden King's death scene, MirrorMask's last emotional moment, the finale of Pan's Labyrinth, and since it's the last thing to trigger the waterworks, a pivotal scene near the end of Stranger Things featuring a Moby track that's an all-time favorite of mine.

Up is the best: twice. the genius of it is that the first time, at the end of the early montage, they're tears of sheer sadness; then when Carl finally opens Ellie's adventure book, they're uplifting tears of joy. That realisation is just a wonderful, wonderful moment. Genius!

Archived