Scenes that make you cry

Arch-MaesterPhilip

6 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Yeah, me too. I remember watching that when it first aired (I was in high school at the time) and the big question at the time being "Who was going to voice Kermit?" 

Yep, was exactly the same for me, and being in high school at the time when I originally watched it I thought I was tougher than I was, and kind of shocked when that part came how I was totally destroyed. I think I cried for an hour after it was over.

Yeah, I'm still not tough.

And I was watching the original broadcast with my parents and my sister. Pretty sure that if I forwarded the video to any of them, they'd be choked up or bawling (depending on which person you're talking to) as well.

16 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The final ten or so minutes of It's a Wonderful Life always get me too.  

And the third act of Beaches. 

More so than the final scene, one of the early scenes with George as a kid working in the drug store gets to me even more.

The Bridge to Terabithia, having no knowledge of the book before hand, I was completely unprepared for that.  I mean WTF?

When he tells his daughter the happy ending in Definitely, Maybe.  Yes Ryan Reynolds made me cry, and not just cry, fucking blubber, I had to stop the damn movie.

October Sky got me, too. 

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head, and all my movies are in boxes right now so I can't quickly reference.  But there's many more.  Up never got me though. 

"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski."

David Huddleston, The Big Lebowski star, dies at 85

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/04/david-huddleston-dead-big-lebowski-star-dies-85

Something about animated mice, and animals in general gets to me. 

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. The death of Nicodemus. That's a pretty dark movie for kids to see. I loved it though.

An American Tale. The Somewhere Out There song.

Back to the Future. When Doc Brown is gunned down.

7 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

More so than the final scene, one of the early scenes with George as a kid working in the drug store gets to me even more.

Gets my gf, too. The one that makes me saddest is in the bar, at the end of his rope. Great acting.

• 3 weeks later...

Many things, but the first one that comes to mind is a scene from the finale of the reimagined Battlestar Galactica:

Spoiler

The death of Laura Roslin. You know it's coming since her very first scene, where she's diagnosed with cancer, but she was my favorite character and McDonnell was so fucking amazing in the role. That combined with the music and Adama putting the wedding ring on her finger after he's realized what happened was too much for me.

I cry pretty easily these days but nothing like that. I had to pause it and pretty much bawled for the next fifteen minutes before I could continue.

Grave of the Fireflies is another good example, if you've seen it I don't need to explain why.

Maybe silly, but what can I say, I like romantic stories ... the ending of Becoming Jane made me cry in the cinema and a few times after that when I watched it on DVD.

In the animated movies category, recently Inside Out. I do not remember the exact scene, but I remember I cried at some point.

Archived