Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I&II [Full Spoilers]

Suzanna Stormborn

I picked this up at a tiny book shop and wandered around looking for other good reads. Instead, I thought about (1) why was this written and (2) how much i hate reading plays. I did not buy it. Reading the comments here have not made me want to stroll back to get the book.

On the topic of Jk Rowling my Goodreads email notified me that here are three more books releasing this month regarding Hogwarts and some character history. Basically stuff she has said on Pottormore/online over the years and some extra tidbits. Really does seem to be milking the cash cow dry

On 5/9/2016 at 3:16 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

On the topic of Jk Rowling my Goodreads email notified me that here are three more books releasing this month regarding Hogwarts and some character history. Basically stuff she has said on Pottormore/online over the years and some extra tidbits. Really does seem to be milking the cash cow dry

When you think most of those informations were free for the last four years...

• 4 months later...

Bringing back this thread to complain. I am surprised so many people liked this. In fact, I am surprised anybody liked it. Abour everything about it is awful I will not even go into the stupid plot, but the structure - that is not how a drama works. I cannot imagine how this worked on stage, I am sure there is a reason plays do not usually make so many time jumps ahead in a row of short scenes, and it is probably: it does not work in performance. The dialogue is just awful, I read the translation, but I cannot imagine the original being any better.

The whole thing seems like bad fanfiction. I went into it expecting it to be bad, but not that bad. My head-canon stays limited to the seven books.

(Edit: now I realise this post sounds much more serious than I take the book and everything around it. I don't actually take the whole thing that personally and seriously. I guess it was fun in a really silly way.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2017 at 6:41 AM, Buckwheat said:

I cannot imagine how this worked on stage, I am sure there is a reason plays do not usually make so many time jumps ahead in a row of short scenes, and it is probably: it does not work in performance.

My impression is that people seem to think it works much better on stage than in print form, with the spectacle making up for shortcomings in the script (and if I wanted good written Harry Potter I'd read Methods of Rationality again).

Archived