Why doesn't Jaime want to rule Casterly Rock??

siyxx

What's so bad about it? I mean, his father has been feeding this idea to him since he was young, and Tywin wasn't the best father of the bunch, so of course there was probably some defiance behind his motive. But it was part of his family's legacy, and Tywin seemed to be really desperate so much as to bend the rule to release Jaime from the Kingsguard when he came back in JAIME VII. Jaime was strongly refused his father's demands. I understand the marriage part, but what's wrong with accepting the title as the heir to Casterly Rock

And then, isn't it better if he was released from Kingsguard in the long term? Considering he wanted to marry his sister like the Targs and all that?  (although it was quite impossible either ways anyway)

Isn't the title Lord of Casterly Rock more powerful than Lord Commander of The King's Guard??

• 2 weeks later...

Jaime has never cared about power, he's only ever cared about one thing -----> Cersei

He joined the KG partly out of defiance, but mostly because of Cersei. If I'm remembering correctly Cersei informed Jaime that Tywin was planning to marry him to Lysa Tully, and around this time Tywin was also "trying" to arrange a marriage between Cersei and Rhaegar (this could of been earlier though I'm not 100% sure right now while typing this) so Jaime decides to join the KG, which would take him to KL where he thought Cersei would be staying since Tywin was Hand of the King, he's always been obsessed with her (Aerys would decline the arrangement and Tywin would also get pissed off about Jaime being appointed to the KG and would head back to CR with Cersei), and also so he wouldn't have to marry Lysa Tully.

I may be jumbling all this in my head as I believe Jaime was appointed to the KG around 281 at the tourney of harrenhal and Tywin's marriage proposal between Rhaegar and Cersei was in the mid-late 270s but I think all these factors led to why Jaime joined the KG and why he refuses to leave the KG -----> Cersei

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15.8.2016. at 0:14 AM, Stuart said:

He is obsessed with Cersei.  As Lord of Casterly Rock he would never see her.  He elects to remain a Kingsguard to be near her.

Why not? He can name castellan and chill in KL.

I think he wants to be seen as more tham Kingslayer and perhaps he hopes he will be able to do something to redeem himself. Plus, he isnt that interested in ruling.

+ He knows that he doesn't have the caliber of his father. His father is arguably the most able politician of Westeros (behind LF perhaps) and he knows he is not. And he doesn't want to fall behind the father he hates.

+ he doesn't want to leave the court in KL. I guess living in a castle like casterly rock is pretty boring while living in KL is not.

+ he wants to be with his children.

+ Cersai of course

• 4 months later...

Recall Jaime's last chapter in SoS.

When he was done, more than three-quarters of his page still remained to be filled between the gold lion on the crimson shield on top and the blank white shield at the bottom. Ser Gerold Hightower had begun his history, and Ser Barristan Selmy had continued it, but the rest Jaime Lannister would need to write for himself. He could write whatever he chose, henceforth.

Whatever he chose …

Jaime's reasons for denying Casterly Rock are part of his redemption arc, IMO. He also gives Oathkeeper to Brienne and sends her to find Sansa near this time. He frees Tyrion and confesses to him his lie as well. 

Jaime is attempting to fix some of the wrongs he has done. Breaking his vows again (even though technically the the dismissal of Selmy set a precedent) is not part of his current agenda. 

Archived