Bakker: Pounded In The Brain By The Great Ordeal Spoilers III

Durckad

9 minutes ago, matt b said:

There's an implication there that Onkis and Ajokli might be working together to war against the rest of the Hundred. Must be rough when Hope and Deceit are on the same side.

And the Solitary God said, “Let there be Deceit. Let there be Desire.”

ETA: crackpot. Onkis is a mix of Prometheus and Pandora. She is the Singer-in-the-Night. And in the cultic text is actually a prophetess of the Motivations of Men. Singer = sorcery. She teaches the nommen the Gnosis, bringing the fire of the gods to the Nonmen. And she get punished for it (severed head on Copper Tree). Her death creates the Hundred (opening Pandora's box brings fear into the world) and the damnation that comes with it (wheat to the Harvest). The box needs to be opened a second time to let Hope out (Onkis = goddess of Hope). 

4 hours ago, unJon said:

What do the board entomologists make of the On prefix? The fact that it starts Onkis and onta may be another link in this theory about Onkis being the first or the head on the pole or something. 

Well, the entomologists would likely be behind ajokli, as he is the only God described as being directly insectile. All the gods are somewhat described as causing the same arachnid reaction though. 

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Well, the entomologists would likely be behind ajokli, as he is the only God described as being directly insectile. All the gods are somewhat described as causing the same arachnid reaction though. 

Well played

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

You've been on the internet in the last few years, right? Its an assumption I'm making here, but I find it very hard to believe there isn't a portion of certain groups that wouldn't be all over his novels.  Perhaps not, and they would simply approve of that shit without being fans, or hearing about it would inspire them to read the books...my point is those people are clearly there and would approve of this shit if they read it. 

Oh I'm well aware of MRA and their ilk, I just have never encountered them, in any Bakker context before. I mean, most of them don't seem particularly...literate to begin with. :P

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh I'm well aware of MRA and their ilk, I just have never encountered them, in any Bakker context before. I mean, most of them don't seem particularly...literate to begin with. :P

dark enlightment types are fairly literate, using the term broadly.  they won't appreciate the RSB philosophy.  they will identify with the setting's gender 'reality' as well as with its authoritarian governance and theocracy. I.e., they'd want to live in this setting.

16 minutes ago, sologdin said:

dark enlightment types are fairly literate, using the term broadly.  they won't appreciate the RSB philosophy.  they will identify with the setting's gender 'reality' as well as with its authoritarian governance and theocracy. I.e., they'd want to live in this setting.

Maybe the Proyas rape scene was written just to deflect alt-right/red-pillers from using it as a lifestyle guide. "I was on board with Nietzchean Wizard Jesus, but then in Book 6 he has sex with a dude. Avoid this series."

24 minutes ago, Lies And Perfidy said:

Maybe the Proyas rape scene was written just to deflect alt-right/red-pillers from using it as a lifestyle guide. "I was on board with Nietzchean Wizard Jesus, but then in Book 6 he has sex with a dude. Avoid this series."

Haha dude I almost chocked on my dinner there, I've seen reviews on amazon.gr that are not too far off from that.

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

Hmm, and I bet if you forced Shaeonanra to pick between Trump or Hillary, he'd pick Hillary for the Dem. positions on abortion and homosexuality, not to mention his radical antitheism would sour him on the Republicans.

But then again, both he and Trump probably agree on nuclear weapon policy.

8 hours ago, unJon said:

And the Solitary God said, “Let there be Deceit. Let there be Desire.”

ETA: crackpot. Onkis is a mix of Prometheus and Pandora. She is the Singer-in-the-Night. And in the cultic text is actually a prophetess of the Motivations of Men. Singer = sorcery. She teaches the nommen the Gnosis, bringing the fire of the gods to the Nonmen. And she get punished for it (severed head on Copper Tree). Her death creates the Hundred (opening Pandora's box brings fear into the world) and the damnation that comes with it (wheat to the Harvest). The box needs to be opened a second time to let Hope out (Onkis = goddess of Hope). 

Interesting. Though I hope that isn't a huge focus on the final iteration / Unholy Consult. It would require a big departure into Malazan territory with "war of the Gods" stuffs. Hopefully we get more "in world" answers, with a nice topping of Gods stuffs for balancing out the theories.

Opened the book to a random spot and found myself reading Serwa's real/unreal stuff

More importantly, she desired what she willed - and nothing more.

Moderately interesting.  Kellhus' kids and the New Empire in general use Dunyainic terminology all the time - the term Shortest Path comes up all the time.  But it seems Serwa is unaware of the Darkness That Comes Before and thinks of herself as a self-moving soul.

4 hours ago, sologdin said:

I kinda doubt the Dark Enlightenment really wants to live in a feudal reality, since then you have to either be nobility, be one of the gifted Few, or have the physical fitness necessary to gain power by strength of arms.

21 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

I kinda doubt the Dark Enlightenment really wants to live in a feudal reality, since then you have to either be nobility, be one of the gifted Few, or have the physical fitness necessary to gain power by strength of arms.

Also, I don't think Earwa has fedoras.

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'm going to regret asking this, but what the fuck is Dark Enlightenment?

Basically an idea that the Enlightenment (and the humanist values associated with it) was a historical mistake.

You have variations on that idea - sometimes racist, sometimes biased toward STEM majors - where the chosen group aligned with the bigotry is the "nobility" to the rest of the world's "serfs".

A lot of selective if not outright pseudoscience involved.

Archived