Bakker: Pounded In The Brain By The Great Ordeal Spoilers III

Durckad

On the previous page, Kelmomas thinks that the Fanim are about to take the city, but gets distracted by Esemenet following the Narindar.   Or what refers to that, I believe - or his realization a bit earlier via Inrilatis flashback that he was working for Ajokli, which he then suppresses and ignores.

9 hours ago, PapushiSun said:

What parts of the brain do the "Outer Sheath" and the "Confluence" refer to?

outer sheath is the cerebral cortex, the confluence is those portions of the brain that give rise to consciousness, which we don't know but apparently the Dunyain mapped it out

7 hours ago, Damned with the Wind said:

outer sheath is the cerebral cortex, the confluence is those portions of the brain that give rise to consciousness, which we don't know but apparently the Dunyain mapped it out

Good question.

I was under the impression that the Confluence was “where the soul is located.” (In Bakkerverse, the Soul and Consciousness and “What makes us human” etc. may be the same thing. It’s the difference between a human and a p-zombie.) 

If I’m right then real humans (i.e., those on Earth, denizens of the Westeros forum) don’t have this neuroanatomical feature, since (after all) we don’t believe there is the “extra something”, certainly not in physically separate extra-complicated lump of brain tissue.

If being conscious and having a soul are the same thing in Bakkerverse, and we've been given all impressions that they are (skin-spies and Sranc lacking consciousness and being unsouled) then why would that necessitate an anatomical difference between us and them in our brains?  Being conscious gets you a soul, as we see with Simas. The Confluence, as its described, doesn't seem to be a discrete neuroanatomical feature, but something the Dunyain mapped out via neuropuncture, as we, in this world, have not done with consciousness.

2 hours ago, Damned with the Wind said:

If being conscious and having a soul are the same thing in Bakkerverse, and we've been given all impressions that they are (skin-spies and Sranc lacking consciousness and being unsouled) then why would that necessitate an anatomical difference between us and them in our brains?  Being conscious gets you a soul, as we see with Simas. The Confluence, as its described, doesn't seem to be a discrete neuroanatomical feature, but something the Dunyain mapped out via neuropuncture, as we, in this world, have not done with consciousness.

What does consciousness mean in Bakkerverse? The POVs of Sarcellus from Darkness That Comes Before seem to me to show consciousness- it'd be pretty hard to write a POV from a character without consciousness.

Also, thanks for the page reference to the Inchoroi-Tusk passage!

See, I was wondering the same thing Sranc and Skin-spies are supposed to be non-conscious, yet we've gotten internal dialogue for skin-spies, though the Sranc PoV we had (the Sranc chieftain) didn't necessarily show any sort of internal world to the Sranc.

1 hour ago, Damned with the Wind said:

See, I was wondering the same thing Sranc and Skin-spies are supposed to be non-conscious, yet we've gotten internal dialogue for skin-spies, though the Sranc PoV we had (the Sranc chieftain) didn't necessarily show any sort of internal world to the Sranc.

No not non-conscious, without a soul. Maybe without conscious (moral compass?), like any narcissist or madman, you might say. They do think for themselves in a manner, but are controlled by base urges, as they was made that way.

But I'm not necessarily buying soul=consciousness. And I think RSB makes that disc tincture a very deliberate choice. 

The skin spies are quite intelligent, and seem to have a certain amount of will and agency. Shit, the sranc even have their own languange. These are very much 'conscious' beings.

Language doesn't necessitate consciousness cf: Blind Sight.  Bakker has explicitly told us the No-God is a p-zombie and so non-conscious  (it also unsouled and invisible to the Gods) and the No-God certainly uses language.  In a p-zombie, as Kori explicitly describes in the Sranc, cause comes in, action comes out, but there's no qualia on the part of the zombie, nothing apprehends that it acts.  They're biological robots with an elaborate and adaptable programming - like a neural network or whatever (like Blind Sight) - but there's nothing experiencing its life on the inside - just automated behavior and response.

37 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

But I'm not necessarily buying soul=consciousness. And I think RSB makes that disc tincture a very deliberate choice. 

The skin spies are quite intelligent, and seem to have a certain amount of will and agency. Shit, the sranc even have their own languange. These are very much 'conscious' beings.

This is we're im at. They make choices on there own sometimes, so they have the ability to think for themselves. 

Archived