2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

Bloody hell, Japan just beat New Zealand in the men's Sevens. Deserved winners as well. Japan seem to be all about the big upsets recently.

New Zealand seem to have really gone for a power side, and they've got some monsters with the likes of Sonny Bill Williams and Akira Ioane, but they do seem to lack a little pace. They struggled to live with the pace of Japan at times anyway.

ETA: On the women's sevens last night disappointing finish for GB, I don't think they really had a clear idea how they wanted play in this tournament. Canada were deserving bronze medal winners.

Australia were clearly the best side and were definitely deserving gold medal winners.

6 hours ago, Jo498 said:

From 1924 to 1936 they awarded medals for mountaineering, of course not as a games event but for expeditions done in the 4 preceding years.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prix_olympique_d'alpinisme

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prix_olympique_d’alpinisme

With stuff like snowboarding being part of the Winter games I could see indoor climbing or bouldering in the future as an event. But that's not real high mountain alpinism, of course.

EDIT: I just looked the link above with the new sports for Tokyo and climbing is already being included!

Cool beans! I think it will be a great idea to incorporate mountaineering or climbing back into the games. Its definately a deserving discipline worthy of the games imo.

Usain Bolt is getting ready to be magical.....again! http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/sport/usain-bolt-triple-triple-rio-2016/index.html

He's predicting 3 2016 Rio Golds in the 100m, 200m, and 4x100m Relay, also predicting he can break Michael Johnsons 200m WR. Its not bragging when you can back it up, its just explaining what your getting ready to display. Run Usain Run!!

46 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Usain Bolt is getting ready to be magical.....again! http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/sport/usain-bolt-triple-triple-rio-2016/index.html

He's predicting 3 2016 Rio Golds in the 100m, 200m, and 4x100m Relay, also predicting he can break Michael Johnsons 200m WR. Its not bragging when you can back it up, its just explaining what your getting ready to display. Run Usain Run!!

He isn't as dominant as he used to be though. I don't think he will manage to win all three. Do the Jamaicans have any other racers to support him in the relay? Haven't heard from Yoann Blake in a while, is he still any good?

1 hour ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

He isn't as dominant as he used to be though. I don't think he will manage to win all three. Do the Jamaicans have any other racers to support him in the relay? Haven't heard from Yoann Blake in a while, is he still any good?

Jamaica has a total of 6 guys with times under 10s this year. Bolt (9.88), Powell (9.92), Blake (9.94) and Ashmeade (9.94) for the Rio final. Bailey-Cole (10.00) and Minzie (10.02) made it through the Jamaican qualifiers and are likely to run the semifinal.

1 hour ago, Andriy Czarchenko said:

Jamaica has a total of 6 guys with times under 10s this year. Bolt (9.88), Powell (9.92), Blake (9.94) and Ashmeade (9.94) for the Rio final. Bailey-Cole (10.00) and Minzie (10.02) made it through the Jamaican qualifiers and are likely to run the semifinal.

Well, that's a lot slower than four years ago, so I don't see how they will be faster than Gatlin, Gay and two other doped guys.

1 minute ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

Well, that's a lot slower than four years ago, so I don't see how they will be faster than Gatlin, Gay and two other doped guys.

Gay´s best time is just 9.97 so if Bolt beats Gatlin Jamaica would actually be ahead of USA already. Also keep in mind 4x100 isn´t all about 4 best straight line 100m runners. Great 200m runners are probably better on at least 2 of the legs.

44 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Watching the diving and seeing that pool turn darker green by the dive is kinda gross.  

I was wondering about that. My mother and I eventually convinced ourselves it was intentional. Why someone would intentionally make the pool green, we could not tell you. I believe Brazil's national colours were thrown in there as a suggestion. But yeah, it looks eeky. 

21 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Also, they really did a disservice by not banning all the Russians.  I didn't have an opinion about it, but with the Paralympics having banned the Russians, every medal they get is really suspect.  

I noticed some of the Russian swimmers were getting hostile reactions from the crowd (particularly the one who had previous served two drug bans, unsurprisingly).

Bloody hell, Japan just beat New Zealand in the men's Sevens. Deserved winners as well. Japan seem to be all about the big upsets recently.

It was impressive from Japan, although I was sure they were going to throw it away after messing up the last-minute lineout. Only a missed kick stopped them drawing with the British team as well.

For all the love-in for the Beeb's coverage - could we please have new pundits for the rugby 7s? they're utterly embarrassing.

They have no idea whatsoever about 7s; don't seem to know who anyone is - aside from huge man-crushes on Isles and Ebden for USA for being 1) fast, and 2) famous.

Can't remember who's playing (SCW must have called Brazil "Spain" a good 5-6 times yesterday); or often the gender of the players. SCW ignorance and latent sexism is just embarrassing; constantly surprised that these olympians actually have some rugby skills or athleticism; and after 3 days of competition would probably be pushed to name more than 5 players.

Could we please just fire them, and get the Aussies who covered the low-place ranking matches? they actually knew what they were talking about, and not just the players' names, but something about them, even if it's a potted biography they've got written down; they'd actually gone that far; the Brit pair didn't even seem to write down the names of the players. Or, even just put the microphone into the neighbouring French language booth - my French is awful, but it'd still make more sense and add to the experience.

Sorry, rant over (for now - may come on again when it starts up again later)

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

For all the love-in for the Beeb's coverage - could we please have new pundits for the rugby 7s? they're utterly embarrassing.

They have no idea whatsoever about 7s; don't seem to know who anyone is - aside from huge man-crushes on Isles and Ebden for USA for being 1) fast, and 2) famous.

Can't remember who's playing (SCW must have called Brazil "Spain" a good 5-6 times yesterday); or often the gender of the players. SCW ignorance and latent sexism is just embarrassing; constantly surprised that these olympians actually have some rugby skills or athleticism; and after 3 days of competition would probably be pushed to name more than 5 players.

Could we please just fire them, and get the Aussies who covered the low-place ranking matches? they actually knew what they were talking about, and not just the players' names, but something about them, even if it's a potted biography they've got written down; they'd actually gone that far; the Brit pair didn't even seem to write down the names of the players. Or, even just put the microphone into the neighbouring French language booth - my French is awful, but it'd still make more sense and add to the experience.

Sorry, rant over (for now - may come on again when it starts up again later)

What's even more annoying is that you can usually hear other commentators in the background of their feed. Sometimes it's French commentary (usually full of enthusiasm that doesn't really ring through from Woodward and Butler), and sometimes it's what I can only assume is some British radio commentary. The British radio stuff is full of interesting tidbits that you just don't get from the BBC people - very irritating that you can only half make it out.

ST

12 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I was wondering about that. My mother and I eventually convinced ourselves it was intentional. Why someone would intentionally make the pool green, we could not tell you. I believe Brazil's national colours were thrown in there as a suggestion. But yeah, it looks eeky. 

I don't understand why people think the pool turning green is deliberate. That sort of thing happens if you get the chemical treatment a bit wrong (a touch too much chlorine, maybe?) or if you get an algae infestation. Clearly those are the more likely explanations, right? It's not something the organisers would plan, since (a) it looks gross, and (b) it would require rather more competence than the organisers of this event have shown so far.

ST

Apparently the current theory is that it's either sun block or fake tan that's reacting to the other chemicals in the water.

The obvious first thought was an algal bloom - but there's gotta be so much chlorine in these pools that that'd be impossible - besides, if that was going to happen it's likely to have done so before now; the addition of divers is the new thing for the pool, not water and sunshine.

2 hours ago, Sir Thursday said:

I don't understand why people think the pool turning green is deliberate. That sort of thing happens if you get the chemical treatment a bit wrong (a touch too much chlorine, maybe?) or if you get an algae infestation. Clearly those are the more likely explanations, right? It's not something the organisers would plan, since (a) it looks gross, and (b) it would require rather more competence than the organisers of this event have shown so far.

ST

Well, we both initially thought: "they need to clean the pool. That doesn't look okay." But then we reasoned since the Olympics are such a huge deal, there was absolutely no way they would allow the 'dirt' to get to such a point. To us, it seemed like the equivalent of the running track growing ridiculously large patches of grass and having no one do anything about it. The colour being deliberate just made more sense since, again, it just seems unprofessional otherwise.

21 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

didn't he break that years ago? 19.32 by Johnson?

Archived