2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

On 09/08/2016 at 2:57 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

Also, they really did a disservice by not banning all the Russians.  I didn't have an opinion about it, but with the Paralympics having banned the Russians, every medal they get is really suspect.  

Folk still managed to defeat doped athletes Yulia Efimova was beaten, Olga Zabelinskaya was just beaten by a 42 year old in the individual time trial (cycling).

I would have thought with a national doping regime against a field of clean athletes they would have won much more over the last few years. More than the Russians are doping. Most folk probably are.

For example swimming is ripe for blood doping cause of the time. autologous transfusions have no tests. You can do it and won't get caught. The effects of adding half a pint of your own blood nice and rich in oxygen carriers is massive.

I just assume most are cheating and enjoy the spectacle.

10 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I may have not posted what he said correctly. I think his actual point was he thinks he can run a sub 19 second 200m before he's done. Point being he thinks he can still lower his 200m personal best, apparently besting his own WR.

Yeah i went and read the article. looking at the trends of age it will be unlikely he does go faster than previously. The link below discusses Gatling but in the context of age and sprinting too.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2015/07/20/sprinters-dont-improve-after-30-gatlins-feats-are-incredible-200701/

http://sportsscientists.com/2015/05/the-gatlin-dilemma/

Japan end up with 7 points, and +24 PD
If I've got my maths right:

If NZ win it comes down to points difference, if NZ win by 1 or 2, then GB and Japan go through
If NZ win by 3 or more, then NZ and Japan go though

Obviously, a draw or GB win puts GB and Japan through

Eddie thinking that Japan still needed a better PD is because he hasn't done the maths -the Japanese had.

2nd half is less fun.

ETA: Oh TFFT

GB top the group, Japan 2nd, NZ almost certainly out (assuming Argentina beat Brazil).

ETA:
No, bugger; if Fiji beat USA (by more than 4); then USA will also finish on 5 points, and a worse PD than NZ; so NZ would go through. Dammit!

Looking at the tables (they haven't been updated yet) it looks like there's bonus points so it probably depends on the USA-Fiji result. 

And, yeah, Butler and Woodward are pretty shit, they should be telling us what the situation is but they clearly don't know.

Bonus points are for turning up; you get 1 point for losing, 2 for a draw or 3 for a win - and yes, the BBC table still hasn't acknowledged Argentina turning up against Fiji last night.

Oh FFS, Eddie still hasn't realised that there's still QF places up for grabs. If Argentina win, they (almost certainly) go through.

Surely he has access to an up=to-date table?

Yeah, assuming the Argentinian win; the cross-over point between USA and NZ is a Fiji win by 4 points - puts USA and NZ on the same match points, and same PD - dunno what the next decider is - tries scored?

A Fiji win by >4 puts NZ ahead; by <4 puts USA ahead; a draw or USA win dumps out the kiwis.

I may just be supporting the USA - possibly for the first time (excepting against drugs cheats).

ETA:

Oh, and Arg don't need to beat Brazil comfortably; any win (or draw) puts them ahead of NZ on merit.

Fiji being allowed to run down the time left on the yellow card by taking ages over a conversion attempt after the half time hooter has gone seems a bit shit.

ETA: Bah, New Zealand makes the quarterfinals by 1 point. I can't see them beating Fiji though.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I may have not posted what he said correctly. I think his actual point was he thinks he can run a sub 19 second 200m before he's done. Point being he thinks he can still lower his 200m personal best, apparently besting his own WR.

He's all talk, a couple of years back he talked about how we'll regularly have times under 9 seconds for the 100m in a couple of years. That's beyond ridiculous. He's to old to break any records, his prime is way in the past, and he should be happy if he gets his 3 gold medals, which I still highly doubt.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

cancellara proving he still has it in the mens TT.  GB doing shit as usual in the first few days (first gold in london came on day 5).  however we are top of the finished 4th table which is a pretty shitty place to be.  

Just out of curiousity, what are your sources for that table?

And yay, we have our first gold; and probably our last.

2 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I've heard about these, also one of the swimming presenters/journalists over here wore a skirt which seemed too much for a lot of people, even though the dude next to her was in shorts.

However...

Doesn't everyone get compared to Michael Jordan in sports? It seems like every sport i watch with US commentators use him as the ultimate comparison? The next MJ! I even watched a Mixed Martial arts contest where the participant (travis Luter i think) was introduced as the MJ of Brazilian Jujitsu. I thought he was just the high water mark of sporting excellence. Just an easy way to say this person is amazingly good at sports.

look how common it is...

http://graphics.wsj.com/michael-jordan-of/

The diving judging is absolutely fucking unbelievable. One of the Brazilians landed n his back without even doing the dive he was attemption and got a couple of 8.5s, a 7.5 and several 2.5s. When they dropped the extreme scores, they still got a 7.5. It's just cheating.

32 minutes ago, themerchant said:

I've heard about these, also one of the swimming presenters/journalists over here wore a skirt which seemed too much for a lot of people, even though the dude next to her was in shorts.

However...

Doesn't everyone get compared to Michael Jordan in sports? It seems like every sport i watch with US commentators use him as the ultimate comparison? The next MJ! I even watched a Mixed Martial arts contest where the participant (travis Luter i think) was introduced as the MJ of Brazilian Jujitsu. I thought he was just the high water mark of sporting excellence. Just an easy way to say this person is amazingly good at sports.

look how common it is...

http://graphics.wsj.com/michael-jordan-of/

Do you have the graphic of how common it is for people to say "The Mia Hamm of X sport"?  I'm 99% sure it doesn't exist.

That's pretty much the point of The Guardian article, and others like it.  Women in sports just simply aren't acknowledged the same way as men. You aren't going to get "The Mia Hamm of Jujitsu" commentary because women's sports does not receive the type of coverage it takes for the audience to be aware of individual female athletes who are at the top of their sport.  Or, more commonly, the audience is aware of top female athletes but it never dawns on anyone to use these female athletes as comparisons when describing the greatness of other athletes.  Millions of people might know who Mia Hamm is, but no sports commentator is going to say random really good male athlete is the Mia Hamm of Taekwondo.  

Archived