2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

7 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Synchronized Swimming is just so weird.  And why don't any of them wear goggles?

I found it eery the way they grin like cyborgs when emerging from the water. All left aside, it's incredible the way the make figures in the water...

Waterpolo athletes get my admiration too, for a similar reason.

Obviously, Usain Bolt is a phenomenon, but I found it a little irritating watching the race back that the British commentators were so focused on him that they didn't even mention that Gemili was in the fight for Bronze until well after the race had finished when the results were being put up (he lost out by 0.003 to Christophe Lemaitre. Hope he can start putting injury-free seasons together and really challenge the big boys for medals in both 100 and 200, coz he clearly has it in him).

On August 9, 2016 at 0:32 PM, Criston of House Shapper said:

He isn't as dominant as he used to be though. I don't think he will manage to win all three. Do the Jamaicans have any other racers to support him in the relay? Haven't heard from Yoann Blake in a while, is he still any good?

Still holding onto the Bolt wont win all 3 prediction? :D

8 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Because you're Ryan Lochte.

I saw that he had some reality TV show where he seemed like a real douche bag.

7 hours ago, Baltan said:

Waterpolo athletes get my admiration too, for a similar reason.

Water polo is THE hardest sport I ever trained and the only one I quit because it was too exhausting.

5 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I think in a thousand years people are going to argue if Usain Bolt ever existed or not. 

I think that in 20 years none of his records will stand. Either some new young guns will come and wipe them clean or some anti-doping agency will.

2 minutes ago, baxus said:

I think that in 20 years none of his records will stand. Either some new young guns will come and wipe them clean or some anti-doping agency will.

He's so far ahead of the curve that I think it's quite possible that his records will still stand in 20 years. The way that Michael Johnson's 400m did and was only broken by an absolutely crazy-good performance itself.

I'm not really sure there's any reason to believe that Bolt has been doping beyond general 'anyone really good must be' stuff but even if he were would being caught now wipe out his records, unless he admitted he was doing it all the way through?

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He's so far ahead of the curve that I think it's quite possible that his records will still stand in 20 years. The way that Michael Johnson's 400m did and was only broken by an absolutely crazy-good performance itself.

I'm not really sure there's any reason to believe that Bolt has been doping beyond general 'anyone really good must be' stuff but even if he were would being caught now wipe out his records, unless he admitted he was doing it all the way through?

If memory serves me well, Jamaican anti-doping agency was in such a poor state prior to London that at one point their athletes faced the same fate Russian athletes suffered this year.

There are reasons to doubt whether or not Bolt is clean as well as for questioning whether or not such a huge star of the sport will ever be thrown under the bus even if he is/was doping.

4 minutes ago, baxus said:

If memory serves me well, Jamaican anti-doping agency was in such a poor state prior to London that at one point their athletes faced the same fate Russian athletes suffered this year.

There are reasons to doubt whether or not Bolt is clean as well as for questioning whether or not such a huge star of the sport will ever be thrown under the bus even if he is/was doping.

Jamaica's testing is shocking but Bolt doesn't just get tested by them and the way I understand it he gets tested a lot.

Just now, polishgenius said:

Jamaica's testing is shocking but Bolt doesn't just get tested by them and the way I understand it he gets tested a lot.

Let's be honest here, "getting tested a lot" has different meaning for different sports.

I'm 100% certain that cyclists and weightlifters are tested much more often (and much more seriously) than, let's say, football or tennis players.

I'm not sure where track and field athletes are on that scale, but if it did turn out that Bolt was "juicing" he would hardly be the first sprinter to have a pass. Carl Lewis was tested positive prior to Seoul games and got away with it, winning two gold medals in those Olympics.

There were some spin doctors on Anderson Cooper (CNN) that mustve been clients of Lochte's P.R. Firm or something cuz they sure were muddying the waters with excuses for the swimmers. Bottom line I cant get over these two reports ive heard-

1. These guys were urinating on the floor and walls at that service station

2. Apparently one of them claimimng to have been robbed was shown going through an X-ray with his wallet still on his person even though he reported it stolen.

Only after some of these inconvenient facts came out did the swimmers start backtracking therir stories, of course the PR guys on CNN didnt address any of that. Bare minimum they deserve a good ass beating for urinating (outside urinals) at a small business. What the hell are people supposed to do when three drunks come into an establishment and start pissing all over the floor? If there was a gun pointed (a big if) it was probably to make these shitheels get the hell out of there?

Anyways im done thinking about the whole stupid incident.

If I'm in the IAAF or IOC and some guy is breaking records left right and centre and never losing his major races, I sure as hell would make it a priority to test that guy more than anyone else. I'm sure they must have looked into Almaz Ayana after she broke a record by 14 seconds, and Wayde Van Niekerk after his record.

Even if track and field athletes aren't usually tested as much as weightlifters I'm sure that people who stand out, like Usain Bolt, get tested more usually than others. And just watching him gradually slow down as his career has gone on, I'm inclined to believe his talent is legit. So saying someon like Bolt "gets tested a lot" to me means that he is getting tested more often and accurately. He's a prominent ambassador for the sport and in a significant way, both the IAAF and IOC have facilitated this. It would be irresponsible for them to let it get to this level without closely monitoring him.

In other news, the heptathlon and decathlon are absolutely brutal. Hats off to those men and women. Everyone who completes those two events deserves thundering applause IMO. Hats off.

6 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

If I'm in the IAAF or IOC and some guy is breaking records left right and centre and never losing his major races, I sure as hell would make it a priority to test that guy more than anyone else. I'm sure they must have looked into Almaz Ayana after she broke a record by 14 seconds, and Wayde Van Niekerk after his record.

If testing during the competition was enough, there would be no testing outside of competition. ;) 

Having so many world class athletes training and competing in their sports full time is always going to produce some results that seem out of this world. Some of those results will be legit, some of them will come as a result of doping. That's the way it is. Some doped athletes will get away with it due to imperfect testing procedures or elaborate conspiracies (this is no longer a crazy conspiracy theory after what happened to Russia) or whatever else may be a reason. On the other hand, some clean athletes will have to live with being wrongly viewed as doped athletes.

I'm not saying that Bolt is definitely doping, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a few of years down the line we get another Armstrong scenario.

9 hours ago, baxus said:

If you say there is reason to doubt Bolt, I really hope that you also have reason to doubt Phelps.

I have never seen anything that makes me doubt Bolt is clean. And as it's been stated he is slowing down as he gets older, which is normal. It's not like when Barry Bonds got older, and gained muscle and his hat size increased and suddenly he was a home run hitting machine.

As for Phelps, keep in mind he actually volunteered for Project Believe during the 2008 Olympics, which does drug testing above and beyond the US anti doping tests. He was tested an extra 9 times and was clean each time. People who are doping don't generally volunteer to get tested more.

Archived