2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Theres ZERO current proof that either Bolt or Phelps have used PED's, therefore I have Zero reasons to believe either has been doping. Until proven otherwise, they will be alltime great Olympians in their disciplines.

That's true, there's zero proof. At this moment. We'll see how their achievements withstand the test of time, though.

Believe it or not, I'm rooting for both of them to be clean because they really are clean, not because anti-doping agencies are yet to catch up with their testing methods. ;) 

The thing where horses have to jump over hurdles bothered me a lot while I was watching. Several horses looked frightened and "refused" to jump, they just kept turning away from the obstacle until the athlete was called off the pitch. Some even threw their athletes to the ground, then ran off until they reached the barrier, which they couldn't escape. I don't know if that's a regular occurrence in the sport but it bothered me a lot, even more so when I saw that the event was a pentathlon, meaning the horses had to do something similar (I think) an entire five times. Seems cruel to me to be honest.

And I'm guessing the athletes perform with horses they trained with, horses they know; so the horses were likely shipped from as far as China. I hope so very much that I'm wrong on this. I've endured sea sickness before and vowed to never board another ship if I can help it.

Love that Caster won. Whole family stayed up and thoroughly enjoyed it.

9 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

even more so when I saw that the event was a pentathlon, meaning the horses had to do something similar (I think) an entire five times. Seems cruel to me to be honest.

No, the show-jumping is one event in the modern pentathlon. The others are swimming, running, fencing and shooting.

The riders and the horses don't know each other before the event, which is probably why they're more skittish than for the average race/competition, but I'm not sure I'd consider it cruel. If they don't want to jump they don't make them after all.

15 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

The thing where horses have to jump over hurdles bothered me a lot while I was watching. Several horses looked frightened and "refused" to jump, they just kept turning away from the obstacle until the athlete was called off the pitch. Some even threw their athletes to the ground, then ran off until they reached the barrier, which they couldn't escape. I don't know if that's a regular occurrence in the sport but it bothered me a lot, even more so when I saw that the event was a pentathlon, meaning the horses had to do something similar (I think) an entire five times. Seems cruel to me to be honest.

And I'm guessing the athletes perform with horses they trained with, horses they know; so the horses were likely shipped from as far as China. I hope so very much that I'm wrong on this. I've endured sea sickness before and vowed to never board another ship if I can help it.

Love that Caster won. Whole family stayed up and thoroughly enjoyed it.

You're not wrong on this.  The pentathlon horses might be different, but in those equestrian events the horses are definitely flown in from their country of origin.  

I agree with you on the cruelty of sporting events that force animal involvement.  

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

No, the show-jumping is one event in the modern pentathlon. The others are swimming, running, fencing and shooting.

The riders and the horses don't know each other before the event, which is probably why they're more skittish than for the average race/competition, but I'm not sure I'd consider it cruel. If they don't want to jump they don't make them after all.

I'm midly relieved to know they participated in that one event. But only midly.

The first few horses hit a few obstacles and nothing really looked out of the ordinary. But one horse hit the obstacles near the beginning of the routine and to us, it looked like it was injured. It tried to jump over the next obstacle several times but eventually just gave up. Of course the athlete wanted to complete the course. But the horse looked to be in a bit of pain. That just didn't sit well with me.

Then there was one horse that looked to deliberately throw off the athlete at the wall obstacle. He got on again and it threw him off again. Another athlete (or the same one as above) was dragged after being thrown off. It all just seemed like a big recipe for disaster. Like one of those situations where an animal is used for human entertainment, animal gets unsettled and kills a human, animal gets put down and we all ask each other: how did this happen? It was all unnecessary. I'm personally not a fan of animals in entertainment or anything like that (even zoos because I think it's like going to prison to watch prisoners going about being in cages). Maybe that's why it bothered me. But I think it should bother everyone.

18 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

And the USA bookends the Olympics, winning the first and last gold medals (although since the last one was the men's basketball, that's hardly surprising).

Yeah... It wasn't the best edition of Serbian basketball, but no one can question the impressive way USA played. We are just very lucky to get the 2nd place and I have personally enjoy what are boys showed.

Not that I care much for the equestrian events, but afaik the pentatlon horses are somewhat of a special thing. 

The riders draw lots on who gets to ride which horse for the event. Which is probably not such a great idea. Because the rider does not know the horse and vice versa. So neither might be totally comfortable with their partner. As far as horses can be comfortable with a rider on their back.

The US men's basketball team is so weird. When they have their act together, it's obvious that they are on a different level... but there are quite a few games when they don't have their act together. For example, Spain could have won that semifinal despite the Spanish players being physically smaller and not as good individually. If Spain made a couple more of their threes or the referee had not disallowed the Spanish basket late in the game disrupting their momentum, the outcome of the game could have been different. Of course, the US did win, but it wasn't the overwhelming, all-but-certain victory one would expect based on the quality of the players. The final and the quarterfinal against Argentina were more along the lines of what one would expect.

Please bear with my ignorance, but does anyone know why the men's marathon has to always be the last event to have a victory ceremony?

My memory of London is one big blur that I can only vaguely remember this happening there.

Even with vocals, the Japanese national anthem sounds like an incredibly beautiful movie score.

Also, karate and surfing are going to be a thing now. I swear one of these days they're going to add something that even I can do.

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

Even with vocals, the Japanese national anthem sounds like an incredibly beautiful movie score.

Also, karate and surfing are going to be a thing now. I swear one of these days they're going to add something that even I can do.

Well, I can run 100 meters, but you know...

6 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Please bear with my ignorance, but does anyone know why the men's marathon has to always be the last event to have a victory ceremony?

My memory of London is one big blur that I can only vaguely remember this happening there.

I think it's just tradition - it's happened for many Olympics previously and there's no real reason to change it, so the tradition carries on.

Tradition I believe. There's nothing more Olympic than the marathon after all.

Well, athletics is what happens at the main site, so it's kind of the heart of the games. Traditionally, the marathon finish was in the stadium, so the moment the leading runner entered the stadium was one of the highlights. Don't know why they chose the empty Sambadrome for the finish this time. 

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

The best part is how they decided which five events will make the modern pentathlon. Basically, it was down to "skills one would need to get back to safety from behind enemy lines". A legacy of pre-WWI era. :) 

Archived