2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

39 minutes ago, baxus said:

The best part is how they decided which five events will make the modern pentathlon. Basically, it was down to "skills one would need to get back to safety from behind enemy lines". A legacy of pre-WWI era. :) 

TBH, that's why I find it interesting.

Though I'd love to see it updated.

You could keep the swimming and the running-away-whilst-shooting; but replace sword fighting with MMA, showjumping with  enduo motorbike race (hotwire it at the start line) or downhill mountain bike; and finish it off with a drone dogfight!

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

TBH, that's why I find it interesting.

Though I'd love to see it updated.

You could keep the swimming and the running-away-whilst-shooting; but replace sword fighting with MMA, showjumping with  enduo motorbike race (hotwire it at the start line) or downhill mountain bike; and finish it off with a drone dogfight!

The Olympics specifically bans motorsports, IIRC.

36 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

The Olympics specifically bans motorsports, IIRC.

I thought that too; of course, my suggestions weren't meant to be entirely sensible; though I would have no problem at all with the mountainbiking suggestion (and yes, using an off-the-shelf bike would seem to work nicely as a requirement).

It's the drone (probably remote-control plane) dogfighting that I'd really want to see; though I've no idea how they could do it, and be spectator friendly (actually shoot each other's planes out of the sky?).

The last three Olympics have been dominated by Phelps and Bolt.  What do you guys think are the chances one or both makes a comeback for 2020?  I feel like Bolt is the more dominant of the two at this point - it is hard to imagine that he couldn't win at least the 4X100 again, although I don't know if he'd want to come back unless he is competing in all three of his main events, which is very physically taxing.  Maybe he could just do the 4X100 and his favorite race the 200?  OTOH Phelps has the advantage that swimmers age (a bit) more gracefully than sprinters, plus he can do fewer events.  His performance in the 200 medley and 200 freestyle relay were both world class this year, for example. 

I guess I am just used to athletes saying they are retiring, only to get the itch for a comeback.  While it is always nice when people can go out on top, even exceptional athletes rarely pull it off.  I personally would be surprised if we don't see at least one, if not both of them, going for gold in 2020. 

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The last three Olympics have been dominated by Phelps and Bolt.  What do you guys think are the chances one or both makes a comeback for 2020?  I feel like Bolt is the more dominant of the two at this point - it is hard to imagine that he couldn't win at least the 4X100 again, although I don't know if he'd want to come back unless he is competing in all three of his main events, which is very physically taxing.  Maybe he could just do the 4X100 and his favorite race the 200?  OTOH Phelps has the advantage that swimmers age (a bit) more gracefully than sprinters, plus he can do fewer events.  His performance in the 200 medley and 200 freestyle relay were both world class this year, for example. 

I guess I am just used to athletes saying they are retiring, only to get the itch for a comeback.  While it is always nice when people can go out on top, even exceptional athletes rarely pull it off.  I personally would be surprised if we don't see at least one, if not both of them, going for gold in 2020. 

I agree that most likely both will return in 2020, but if they do, they will utterly fail. They're both clearly declining, and have been for years.

I'm surprised I'm saying this, but I imagine Bolt would be less likely to return.  He almost seems more likely due to being in love with the spotlight and his legend status, but I think that's actually a big part of it.  I can't see him coming back if there's even a suggestion that he might lose.  This is a man who wants to be on top always.  

With Phelps, it's a toss up.  I think he likes winning and the spotlight, but I also think he just loves swimming and competing in general.  I don't think it would bother him to return and only win a lower tier medal or two.  His mark would be longevity and most medals.  

There are 4 years and many international competitions and world championships before the next Olympics. We will know well before Tokyo how they measure up against newcomers. I would be surprised if either come back as major players. I expect they will at the least pare down the number of individual events, Phelps in particular. Bolt may just run a relay leg. Who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm surprised I'm saying this, but I imagine Bolt would be less likely to return.  He almost seems more likely due to being in love with the spotlight and his legend status, but I think that's actually a big part of it.  I can't see him coming back if there's even a suggestion that he might lose.  This is a man who wants to be on top always.  

With Phelps, it's a toss up.  I think he likes winning and the spotlight, but I also think he just loves swimming and competing in general.  I don't think it would bother him to return and only win a lower tier medal or two.  His mark would be longevity and most medals.  

Phelps really wouldn't tarnish his legacy much if he came back and didn't win anything.  His career is remarkably long and dominant, but nonetheless, he has lost races in every Olympics he's competed in.  And if he were to win even a single additional gold, it would be a significant addition to his status. 

Bolt would be risking a lot more.  The vast vast majority of people have never seen Bolt lose a race, and most of the time it isn't even close.  If he came back, it would have to be to win.  In addition, in interviews Bolt actually sounds somewhat atypical of most professional athletes in that he says he is naturally lazy and actually hates training.  Now, it is possible he is just sick of it right now, and could take a year off but still have plenty of time to round back into peak form for 2020.  He turned 30 yesterday, which means he is already past his best years as a sprinter.  Could he possibly still win at 34? Apparently the oldest man ever to win the 100 was Linford Christie in 1992 at 32 years, 4 months.  Justin Gatlin got silver in the 100 in Rio and he's 34, so obviously it isn't crazy to think Bolt might be able to do it at that age. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Bolt was saying that next year's world championships will be his last.  I wonder what it is about that event that makes it worthy of a finale.  The worlds aren't usually as big an audience.  

There´s the fact that 2018 is off year without Olympics or World Championships. It´s pretty usual for track athletes to retire like that.

Also, I expected at least a mention of the Mongolian wrestling coaches in this thread. Shame on you all!

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Bolt would be risking a lot more.  The vast vast majority of people have never seen Bolt lose a race, and most of the time it isn't even close. 

I think the only time I've seen him not win was when he got DQ'ed at the Worlds for a false start.

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I feel like Bolt is the more dominant of the two at this point - it is hard to imagine that he couldn't win at least the 4X100 again, although I don't know if he'd want to come back unless he is competing in all three of his main events, which is very physically taxing.  Maybe he could just do the 4X100 and his favorite race the 200?

He did compete only in the relay at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, not sure if he'd necessarily do the same for the Olympics, though.

Bolt was saying that next year's world championships will be his last.  I wonder what it is about that event that makes it worthy of a finale.  The worlds aren't usually as big an audience.

It is a return to the scene of one of his biggest triumphs (the London Olympic stadium), if he's not retiring immediately then it seems as good an event as any for a finale.

13 hours ago, Maithanet said:

You forgot to mention Mo Farah.

16 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Phelps dominated last four Olympics. He's won 6 gold and 2 bronze medals in Athens.

It's still too early to say whether they'll go to Tokyo, but I don't think Phelps will come out of retirement again.

Bolt might not even retire after next year's World Championship, so it's too early to talk about comeback. I don't see his age being a major obstacle for him winning either. If he stays fit and motivated for the whole 4 years, he could win the triple gold again.

As for swimmers ageing gracefully, I wouldn't really say that's the case. Remember, Phelps did hold a record as the oldest man to win Olympic gold (31 years old) during these Olympics, if only for a brief period before that record was broken by Ervin (35). It can happen, but it's extremely rare. On the other hand, that would be another record Phelps could maybe break.:D 

12 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Phelps really wouldn't tarnish his legacy much if he came back and didn't win anything.  His career is remarkably long and dominant, but nonetheless, he has lost races in every Olympics he's competed in.  And if he were to win even a single additional gold, it would be a significant addition to his status. 

Bolt would be risking a lot more.  The vast vast majority of people have never seen Bolt lose a race, and most of the time it isn't even close.  If he came back, it would have to be to win.  In addition, in interviews Bolt actually sounds somewhat atypical of most professional athletes in that he says he is naturally lazy and actually hates training.  Now, it is possible he is just sick of it right now, and could take a year off but still have plenty of time to round back into peak form for 2020.  He turned 30 yesterday, which means he is already past his best years as a sprinter.  Could he possibly still win at 34? Apparently the oldest man ever to win the 100 was Linford Christie in 1992 at 32 years, 4 months.  Justin Gatlin got silver in the 100 in Rio and he's 34, so obviously it isn't crazy to think Bolt might be able to do it at that age. 

Phelps hasn't lost a single race in Beijing, if I remember correctly. There was that bit of a controversy with Čavić in 100m butterfly but Phelps didn't lose that one.

Whenever I hear an athlete say they are sick of their sport, or even if fans imply that's the case, i remember Sir Steve Redgrave's famous statement after Atlanta Olympics: "If anyone of you sees me anywhere near a boat you have my permission to shoot me." Four years later, he's become the first athlete to win gold in 5 different Olympic Games.

32 minutes ago, baxus said:

As for swimmers ageing gracefully, I wouldn't really say that's the case. Remember, Phelps did hold a record as the oldest man to win Olympic gold (31 years old) during these Olympics, if only for a brief period before that record was broken by Ervin (35). It can happen, but it's extremely rare. On the other hand, that would be another record Phelps could maybe break.:D

He'll have some way to go - Nick Skelton won gold aged 58 in Rio; Whilst Joshua Milner shot some guns to win gold aged 68 in London IIRC.

Of course, shooting isn't a sport, and in equestrian the horse is the athlete, the human merely the coach.

Archived