2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

17 hours ago, williamjm said:

It looks like if Farah is at Tokyo then it'll be for the marathon, since he's intending to switch to that after next year.

Farah talked about switching to marathon after London too.

Abstinence! Now it's just depressing turning on the tv again.

Winter Olympics 2018 are in South Korea right? And until next year we will not know where in 2024 will be hosted the Games? Are any cities rumored?

59 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Rome, Paris, Budapest and LA are the candidates.

And only Paris and LA are real candidates. The new political leadership in Rome is against the Games being held there (these Five Star politicians can be smarter than they look) and Budapest, at least according to what I have read so far, is a bit to small to actually stand a chance. 

Add to that that Paris and LA already have a lot of the infrastructure and that if the IOC is smart, they'll probably want the next Olympic Games held in the West not to go enormously over budget. Otherwise what happened in Hamburg and Boston might become common place and the IOC would then become wholly reliant on dictators trying to buy prestige. 

Budapest would be great - if they can afford it.

Rome won't get it without political support.

Whilst I'd support the Parisian bid, it'd be great for France to get something like this and get some national pride and solidarity back, it just feels a little to close to London, geographically and chronologically, which shouldn't matter, but it does a little.

LA would be the cheap option (yes, I know) they basically have everything in place already, even Paris would need to build plenty of stuff.

On 8/23/2016 at 2:44 AM, Maithanet said:

The last three Olympics have been dominated by Phelps and Bolt.

You may have been blinded by biased Murican coverage, because the pool in Rio was owned by Katinka Hosszu.

Girl won more individual medals than any other swimmer and SMASHED multiple world records.

3 hours ago, baxus said:

Holding my fingers crossed for games taking place in Europe, honestly.

Time difference made a mess of my schedule this time around.

I agree, plus it will be 12 years since the last Games in Europe at that point, so chronologically it fits. I would like Budapest or Rome to be the hosts, Paris would be okay too. Didn't LA already host the Olympics a couple of decades ago?

I just checked, LA hosted the Olympics in 1984, Rome did it in 1960 and Paris in 1924. All three are due for a repeat, if we're honest.

Budapest is the only one that never hosted Olympics and had 5 of their previous bids rejected, so there's a case for them getting it as well.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Whilst I'd support the Parisian bid, it'd be great for France to get something like this and get some national pride and solidarity back.

I don't think the Olympics would make much difference. They hosted the European Football Championship earlier this year and France as a whole hasn't exactly been healed because of that.

2 hours ago, Davrum said:

You may have been blinded by biased Murican coverage, because the pool in Rio was owned by Katinka Hosszu.

Girl won more individual medals than any other swimmer and SMASHED multiple world records.

I only see one world record (in the 400m individual medley). Which were the others? Hosszu's accomplishments are certainly impressive and it is unfortunate that she didn't get much coverage, but I don't think that this is American bias so much as bias towards overall medals. Hosszu won 3 golds and 1 silver whereas, say, Ledecky won 4 golds and 1 silver. The fact that all of Hosszu's medals were individual whereas Ledecky only won 3 individual golds is a rather subtle distinction.

I would hate for Budapest to "win" the bid. You could see this turning into a disaster for them financially. They would have to build a lot of venues, which after the games would be useless and not supported. If those venues were actually needed they would already have them in place.

3 hours ago, Davrum said:

I'm sure my bias for the great American Usain Bolt has blinded me :rolleyes: 

Hosszu didn't win more medals than anyone, and I don't see why only individual medals should be prized, it's not like relays are easy to win.  She had a great Olympics, no doubt, but unless she can repeat that performance in 2020 and 2024, she can't be realistically compared to Bolt or Phelps.  Those two have simply towered over their sports, while Hosszu is only arguably the most dominant woman swimmer at Rio (along with Ledecky). 

The problem with Hosszu in most American coverage (can't speak for other places) is that it was dominated by coverage on her husband/coach.  If it wasn't about the commentator who said her husband was responsible for her win, then it was about whether she was winning because her husband is abusive.  

17 hours ago, Veltigar said:

And only Paris and LA are real candidates. The new political leadership in Rome is against the Games being held there (these Five Star politicians can be smarter than they look) and Budapest, at least according to what I have read so far, is a bit to small to actually stand a chance.

It does seem like the Olympics have grown so much that hosting the Summer Games is now beyond the reach of anything other than the largest cities (or potentially a small city with huge amounts of oil money to throw at the project), so it does feel a bit ambitious and potentially risky for Budapest to bid. That said, if they've managed to come up with a plausible and affordable plan then good luck to them.

The problem with giving it to Budapest is you'd presumably be giving that cunt Orban politican capital.

The other thing is that not just Budapest but the whole of Hungary is landlocked. They're proposing to hold the sailing events on a lake. It is a very big lake but that seems weird.

I'd like to see Paris, though LA being the only bid that has actually put an effort into their bid logo makes me sympathise their way a bit...

Hope Solo is suspended for six months for saying words.  This is after she was previously suspended for something her husband did. 

Meanwhile, Michael Phelps received short suspensions for DUI's and drug use and Ryan Lochte hasn't received any punishment (aside from dropped business) for his false report.

I know, I know, different sports. But history of lower pay and higher consequences and all that.  

Archived