2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

5 minutes ago, Andriy Czarchenko said:

So Lochte should have received a punishment way faster than Solo because he´s a man is what you´re saying? How very equal of you.

I think it's more that female athletes are more likely to be disciplined/shunned for their indiscretions, while male athletes' indiscretions are more likely to be dismissed as "boys will be boys." That's how it looked with Lochte.

8 minutes ago, Andriy Czarchenko said:

So Lochte should have received a punishment way faster than Solo because he´s a man is what you´re saying? How very equal of you.

Lol, how did I know there would be someone who made such an asinine conclusion?  How very expected of you.

See Kyoshi's post above.  

54 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I think it's more that female athletes are more likely to be disciplined/shunned for their indiscretions, while male athletes' indiscretions are more likely to be dismissed as "boys will be boys." That's how it looked with Lochte.

Are they? I genuinely have no idea but I can't say I can recall a suspension or disciplinary action handed out to a female which stood as being particularly harsh in comparison to what male athletes have received for similar incidents in the same sort of time frame under the same/comparable ruling bodies.

Anyway since it's two different governing bodies involved it doesn't strike me as particularly surprising or unreasonable there might be different time frames for the investigations and, possibly, different punishments involved.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Lol, how did I know there would be someone who made such an asinine conclusion?  How very expected of you.

See Kyoshi's post above.  

And right over the head it goes. I´m trying to point out how absurd using Lochte as one of your examples was.

You are the one complaining here that Lochte has not yet received anything while his transgression was basically admitted 3? days ago on an interview. Solo´s comment meanwhile happened 13 days ago. Somehow you think Lochte still should have received any potential punishment before Solo?

42 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I actually have no idea how any rules would go regarding what Lochte did. It´s obviously a police case instead of purely about sports like Solo. Could in the end be about how the rules of US swimming or olympic committee are written. Could also depend on whether or not he ever gets some judicial sentence or fine in Brazil as I´d guess those are more likely to be in the rules.

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Are they? I genuinely have no idea but I can't say I can recall a suspension or disciplinary action handed out to a female which stood as being particularly harsh in comparison to what male athletes have received for similar incidents in the same sort of time frame under the same/comparable ruling bodies.

I think WNBA players getting initially fined for their T-shirts would count.

Was writing up yet another response to the rampant misogyny that continues in this thread, but it's hardly worth it.  Next time I'll put a general disclaimer to those of you who are outraged not that unequal treatment exists but that someone will acknowledge it.  

8 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Was writing up yet another response to the rampant misogyny that continues in this thread, but it's hardly worth it.  Next time I'll put a general disclaimer to those of you who are outraged not that unequal treatment exists but that someone will acknowledge it.  

:lol: Absolutely, thanks for pointing out there isn't equal treatment by different governing bodies for completely different sports. That's certainly a profound insight we've all been missing out on.

There are some issues regarding the unequal treatment female athletes can receive which should be discussed but perhaps in future you should find less asinine examples?

Just now, ljkeane said:

:lol: Absolutely, thanks for pointing out there isn't equal treatment by different governing bodies for completely different sports. That's certainly a profound insight we've all been missing out on.

There are some issues regarding the unequal treatment female athletes can receive which should be discussed but perhaps in future you should find less asinine examples?

Of course, I actually did readily acknowledge that these were two different sports.  I figured even the lowest common denominator could infer that meant two different governing bodies.

And yes, I definitely agree with you that many of you have been missing out on some profound insight.  The response to anyone bringing up feminist issues is a testament to that. 

I'll leave you with just one other profound insight. There aren't "some" issues regarding unequal treatment with female athletes.  There are mountains of issues. Dozens of books and hundreds of articles have been written on the topic.  When you find yourself capable of it, I encourage you and those of your ilk to educate yourself.  

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Of course, I actually did readily acknowledge that these were two different sports.  I figured even the lowest common denominator could infer that meant two different governing bodies.

Indeed you did. However putting a disclaimer at the end of your example which doesn't illustrate the point you are trying to make doesn't somehow make it relevant.

Perhaps I am missing out on some profound insight on women in sport, you really don't strike me as the person to provide any particular cutting insight on the issues though.

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Indeed you did. However putting a disclaimer at the end of your example which doesn't illustrate the point you are trying to make doesn't somehow make it relevant.

Perhaps I am missing out on some profound insight on women in sport, you really don't strike me as the person to provide any particular cutting insight on the issues though.

You're right, I'm not the person.  I have an extremely low level of tolerance for your type.  There's a little thing called google that can get you started.  I'll even go out of my way to show you how it works.  

12 hours ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

I agree, plus it will be 12 years since the last Games in Europe at that point, so chronologically it fits. I would like Budapest or Rome to be the hosts, Paris would be okay too. Didn't LA already host the Olympics a couple of decades ago?

Weren't the Games hosted in Europe in 2012? :idea:

I'd love it to be in Budapest, but it's true, these kind of megaevents can have a harsh effect in the cities. L.A. would be my second choice. I have no idea what requirements are asked to the cities...

ETA: I have just done the math and yes, since London, Paris/Rome 2024 would be 12 years since last game hosted in London. Sorry, my fault at text comprehension ^_^

19 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

You're right, I'm not the person.  I have an extremely low level of tolerance for your type.  There's a little thing called google that can get you started.  I'll even go out of my way to show you how it works.  

I suggest that next time you use google to come up with better examples as with your knowledge it should be very easy. Phelps and Lochte were no effort, no knowledge miss that you for some reason refuse to admit.

9 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'll leave you with just one other profound insight. There aren't "some" issues regarding unequal treatment with female athletes.  There are mountains of issues. Dozens of books and hundreds of articles have been written on the topic.  When you find yourself capable of it, I encourage you and those of your ilk to educate yourself.  

Not a single example was seen that day. You don't win arguments with "educate yourself"

18 hours ago, dbunting said:

I would hate for Budapest to "win" the bid. You could see this turning into a disaster for them financially. They would have to build a lot of venues, which after the games would be useless and not supported. If those venues were actually needed they would already have them in place.

Every host city needs to build a whole lot of venues anyway. It's not as if any single city has all these world class venues for 28 sports (it was 28 in Rio, if I remember correctly) since there's no way 28 sports are that popular in any single city. And most of these venues get repurposed after the event. I mean, it's hard to see Rio needing an Olympic level dressage centre (or whatever the venue for dressage is called) or those stands on the rowing/canoe sprint venue.

11 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Hope Solo is suspended for six months for saying words.  This is after she was previously suspended for something her husband did. 

Meanwhile, Michael Phelps received short suspensions for DUI's and drug use and Ryan Lochte hasn't received any punishment (aside from dropped business) for his false report.

I know, I know, different sports. But history of lower pay and higher consequences and all that.  

I must admit that I haven't really followed Hope Solo incident that closely but a quick Google search turns up with people backing her up saying things like:

For her part, Solo said she was "saddened" by being suspended for six months over comments that were fueled by her love and passion for the game in an emotional official statement.

In addition, she chooses not to talk about the reason for her suspension but about her commitment to the USWNT for years now as if that should somehow absolve her of the guilt.

So, by this interpretation she is not guilty of unsportsmanlike (or unsportswomanlike or unsportspersonlike, if you prefer) conduct but of being too passionate and loving the game too much. It's an excuse 

Do I think the suspension longer than ones given up to date? Yes, I do and it definitely is. Do I think it's time for finally fighting unsportsmanlike conduct in all sports with everything you got? Yes, I do and it definitely is. Some might ask why start with her, but you have to start somewhere and whoever the first major suspension was handed to would have the same question and would receive the same answer. The problem would arise if the player on USMNT for behaving in the same way would get shorter suspension or even no suspension at all.

On the other hand, I don't remember Phelps getting the "boys will be boys" treatment for his DUI or anyone trying to make excuses for his behaviour. I don't even remember him trying to give up some excuse at the time. Also, in addition to 6 months suspension, he was disqualified from competing in the World Championships which was THE event of that year in his sport. His behaviour cost him both the opportunity to significantly increase his medal count and earn more money from sponsors. Phelps was suspended for three months for a photo of him with the bong, without failing drug tests or anything like that. He was suspended from his sport, he lost endorsements and all that. He didn't go for any excuse that time either and instead chose to accept the consequences.

Lochte did have the backing of the public and US Olympic team and US Swimming team but only until the truth came out at which point he lost millions of dollars in business deals and remember that neither US Olympic Committee nor US Swimming team have handed out their punishments to him (or have I missed it). Unlike Phelps, Lochte did try to get his ass out of trouble with lies and making fools out of people and I hope he gets the longest possible punishment.

No one is denying that women's sports (athletes included, of course) is often treated differently than men's sports or that there are significant problems with way some things are handled but these three examples you've focused on are just not good examples.

And most of these venues get repurposed after the event.

No, most of those venues get taken apart or just left to rot, which is a large part of the issue of hosting the Olympics. It'd not be too bad having to build a whole bunch of new venues if you were going to use them regularly afterwards but most of them end up being one-time-only.

London is an exception to this in that as far as I know they have found uses for most of the venues, including the media center.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

No, most of those venues get taken apart or just left to rot, which is a large part of the issue of hosting the Olympics. It'd not be too bad having to build a whole bunch of new venues if you were going to use them regularly afterwards but most of them end up being one-time-only.

Yeah, one of the problems of IOC and their ideology that OGs actually cause a sustainable economic boom is that it actually doesn't. One only needs to see the Bird's Nest in Beijing to understand how behind the talk about economic prospects, is just the empty talk to cover the fact that hosting OGs mostly procures only short-term gain.

For most cities, Olympic Stadium can be quite the burden. That is why Japanese, of all people, have been struggling with theirs.

Archived