Fox put the screwed-up version of BUFFY on Netflix

Werthead

Inexplicably, Fox have put the totally bollocked up HD version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix, replacing the SD version which has been on there for years. This has gone down by a lead balloon and there are lots of people complaining vigourously to Netflix about this, hoping they'll put the SD version back up.

To recap, two years ago Fox began remastering Buffy but made a complete hash of it. They wanted to do the same thing that CBS had done for Star Trek: The Next Generation, another division of Fox had for The X-Files and HBO had for The Wire, but balked at the price tag involved ($20 million for ST:TNG, maybe half that for the other two) and tried to do it on the cheap. The result is a complete fiasco, with scenes not being colour-corrected (so night-time scenes now take place during the day, even if there are vampires in the scene) and extras and equipment being frequently visible in the side of shots. There is also rampant and crazy cropping going on, sometimes pushing the heads of actors off the top of the screen. Fox were massively criticised for it (even by Joss Whedon) and did later on fix a few of the problems. But they seem to have given up on fixing these problems somewhere in Season 1 and just put the whole lot out on Netflix.

Extremely annoying, as it seems unlikely they will now spend the extra money on fixing the problems and the chances of us getting a properly, respectfully-remastered Buffy must be close to zero.

On 5/08/2016 at 10:03 AM, Werthead said:

Extremely annoying, as it seems unlikely they will now spend the extra money on fixing the problems and the chances of us getting a properly, respectfully-remastered Buffy must be close to zero.

Hopefully Netflix will push them to do a better job?

12 hours ago, felice said:

Hopefully Netflix will push them to do a better job?

In response to customer complaints, Netflix have responded that they will discuss the situation with Fox and urged viewers to keep writing in so they can show Fox the level of displeasure with the remastering.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Angel should be easier to upgrade because they protected almost the whole series for widescreen. But if they show the same care they did to Buffy, they'll still screw up the colour correcting and filtering and do really weird cropping.

23 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Huh this is all news to me. It all sounds bit like Lucas and his 'remastered' (ruined) original trilogy films.

Not quite. All they had to do was simply re-edit the series exactly the same way it was done in the first place, just using a fresh scan of the original film. But re-editing an entire series of 144 episodes is extremely expensive and Fox had no interest in doing it right, so this mayhem is the result.

On 28 August 2016 at 0:16 AM, Werthead said:

Apparently Angel should be easier to upgrade because they protected almost the whole series for widescreen. But if they show the same care they did to Buffy, they'll still screw up the colour correcting and filtering and do really weird cropping.

Luckily I have Angel on DVD still. I think it was Xander that put me off being able to rewatch Buffy, I just can't get past how annoying he is.

Archived