Exercise and Fitness - Olympic spirit!

baxus

No workout since last Tuesday evening.  It was a long week of too much work and restaurant food, too little sleep and no exercise.  So this morning I dragged myself down to the gym and, despite low energy, managed to stay at my PB level on bench press, pull downs and cable row.  I skipped arms because I was out of time.

I feel great for working out.  I felt terrible over the weekend when I couldn't fit in a single session of exercise.  Hopefully I can get back to a saner schedule.

Through the nutrition challenge my gym is doing I've actually started operating in a slightly ketotic state without that being the intent, rather cool side effect of how I've been eating and training. No negative side effects like the keto flu or anything.

43 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Through the nutrition challenge my gym is doing I've actually started operating in a slightly ketotic state without that being the intent, rather cool side effect of how I've been eating and training. No negative side effects like the keto flu or anything.

How much muscle mass do you lose through ketosis?  I know the idea is that you burn fat reserves rather than muscle mass, but as a ectomorph who has to fight hard to gain muscle mass, I'm very wary of sacrificing any.

23 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

How much muscle mass do you lose through ketosis?  I know the idea is that you burn fat reserves rather than muscle mass, but as a ectomorph who has to fight hard to gain muscle mass, I'm very wary of sacrificing any.

So far, nothing - I'm the same way, I don't want to lose whatever I have been able to gain.  On the ketosis scale I am only slightly moving in that direction so I'm not overly worried about losing muscle mass.

1 hour ago, Greywolf2375 said:

So far, nothing - I'm the same way, I don't want to lose whatever I have been able to gain.  On the ketosis scale I am only slightly moving in that direction so I'm not overly worried about losing muscle mass.

I might be similar then.  I've dropped my carbs a lot over the past year, relying more on increased protein and healthy fats.  But I don't reach the levels suggested for ketonic diets: 0% from carbs, 30% from protein, 70% from fats.

We've had a great start to the season for my rugby team, won the first 8 games, but another side in our league have also won all their games so we can't afford to drop points.

We lost a few players for today's game so it was a bit scrappy and we ended up drawing the game, which I was pretty gutted about. Even worse it me who missed the tackle to let them equalise with the last touch of the game. I've had rubbish games before but I don't think I can ever remember being directly responsible for dropping points playing sports before, it's fairly shit.:(

On 10/29/2016 at 0:47 PM, ljkeane said:

We've had a great start to the season for my rugby team, won the first 8 games, but another side in our league have also won all their games so we can't afford to drop points.

We lost a few players for today's game so it was a bit scrappy and we ended up drawing the game, which I was pretty gutted about. Even worse it me who missed the tackle to let them equalise with the last touch of the game. I've had rubbish games before but I don't think I can ever remember being directly responsible for dropping points playing sports before, it's fairly shit.:(

Sorry to hear that LJ.  I once scored an own-goal in soccer that caused us to lose 3-2.   We had been playing with only 8 vs. 11 that day because of no-shows on our team, so to lose narrowly to a lateish goal after we had stayed in the game was a gut punch.  I slid to prevent their striker connecting with a low cross but it went in off me instead. 

On 10/29/2016 at 7:47 PM, ljkeane said:

Being the one directly responsible for not winning sucks but it's a part of the game. Try to remember all the times you earned points over the years and, even more importantly, all the things you did right in that game.

Everyone who does something is bound to make mistakes every once in a while and if this is your first such mistake you've had quite a run. Keep your spirits up and do your best in upcoming games.

Last couple of days I've been a bit under the weather - sore throat, occasional cough and on-and-off fever. Skipped yesterday's workout, and will probably skip the rest of the week, too. It sucks. :( 

Went for a run yesterday for what was supposed to be a regular 10k or so training. But we were in a new place so I planned my route only on google maps. Turned out I misjudged it dramatically and the loop that I estimated was about 7-8 km had in fact more than 13 km, and I realised that only after 6 or 7 km, when there was no point in going back the same way I came. So I finished the loop and instead of 10 or 11 km I made almost 18 km. After the fact it striked me, that I started with my usual 10k pace, so if I made just three additional kilometers with the pace I had at the end of my run (or even slightly slower), I would most definitely beat my half-marathon pb, probably by at least two or three minutes. Shame I realised that when it was too late. I made these 18k with the pace of 5:31, while my half-marathon pb pace was 5:40.

I got to the gym last night during the first few innings of the Cubs' game 7.   I did my sets during the breaks in play -- plenty of those in baseball. 

I added 1-2 reps to every heavy set of bench press and pull downs -- new PBs.  I assume the longer pauses between sets as I watched the game gave my muscles more recovery.  I'll return to faster sets again but good to know those additional reps are there.  My heaviest bench press has increased from 3-4 reps to 7 in just a couple of months. 

And this afternoon was squats, deadlifts and calf press.  Squats felt great again and I increased deadlifts back up to 300lbs.  Good workout session. 

I'll try to do a third consecutive day tomorrow before I'm traveling all next week.  I hope to swim once or twice at the hotel pools but probably no weights until next weekend.  

Totally unexpected 10k pb once again. We've been at the spa weekend with my wife and went for a run on Saturday. We started very slow, first km was 5:30 or something, but then my wife changed the gear and I struggled to keep up. There were also some hills on the route that slowed us down (slowed me down mostly), but the last two km were mostly downhill and on the ninth I realised I might have a chance for a pb, so I speeded up to under 5 minutes. Turned out I made it by 12 seconds. New pb is 51:14.

Tonight, completing the three consecutive days in the gym, was bench press and pull downs.  It went really well.  I lost one rep on bench press and pull down from the new PBs set last time, but that's still ahead of my prior PB. 

Lots of stiffness today from squats and dead lifts yesterday, especially in my traps and around my hip where the quad wraps around to connect with the glute.  I'll keep stretching it. 

Miserable week ahead of all-day meetings, sleeping in a hotel and eating restaurant food.  

28 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I was at mile marker 24 at the New York City marathon yesterday to support a friend and seeing everyone competing has kind of inspired me to shoot for that. It was amazing seeing the runners feed off the energy of the spectators. 

Mile 24 is right around where the course moves from 5th Ave into Central Park, right? 

And yeah, speaking as someone who ran NYC a few years back, the energy from everyone lining the streets is amazing. There were times when I just started high-fiving people because I could and I'd be lying if I said that didn't get a boost from all of that.

(Oh, and the NYC marathon is a lot of fun, for certain punishing values of fun. You definitely get to see a lot of the city in a way you usually wouldn't. I mean, you get to run across the Verrazano Bridge! If you do decide to run, let me know. I can pass on what I know about the course, or just offer a high-five right before mile marker 11.)

32 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Mile 24 is right around where the course moves from 5th Ave into Central Park, right? 

And yeah, speaking as someone who ran NYC a few years back, the energy from everyone lining the streets is amazing. There were times when I just started high-fiving people because I could and I'd be lying if I said that didn't get a boost from all of that.

(Oh, and the NYC marathon is a lot of fun, for certain punishing values of fun. You definitely get to see a lot of the city in a way you usually wouldn't. I mean, you get to run across the Verrazano Bridge! If you do decide to run, let me know. I can pass on what I know about the course, or just offer a high-five right before mile marker 11.)

Mile 24 is right behind the Met but I think the runners come into the park at 110th.  

Right now I'm just preparing for a 5k and that seems hard enough but I think if I work my way up I might be able to qualify for it the year after next  

I hate driving over the Verrazano but running over it could be fun. It would be awesome if an a BWB group ran together. 

Archived