Exercise and Fitness - Olympic spirit!

baxus

It was freaking raining in Barcelona. There was even a storm. I'm totally wet (the shower stopped somewhere around 7th kilometer), but it was fun. Lots of people on the streets near Zona Universitaria, and in the vicinity of my hotel there was literally no chance to find a flat segment of the street longer than 200-300 meters. I circled in a few small parks a bit, but mostly just chose streets that were not too steep. I'll try again tomorrow, if my shoes dry up.

Ok, today's runnning in Barcelona was a lot better than yesterday's. For starters, the weather was great, about 15 degrees with no wind or rain. Second, I decided to run from my hotel to the city center and then return by metro. As I predicted, that meant about 8k from 11k I made in total were downhill, which resulted in smooth run with quite fast pace (which would have been better still if not for the crowd I had to force my way through down in the center). And finally I passed by some of the greatest places in the city, like Sagrada Familia, Placa de Catalunya, La Rambla (well, I just traversed it) and few others (like these famous Gaudi works).

On the bad side, I lightly twisted my ankle near the end of the run, the one that already hurt me, and I'm not sure how I would feel tomorrow morning.

Last week was just that one day at a nearby gym and then a round of golf.  Too busy with family Thanksgiving stuff all week.  Got home Saturday evening but too tired for the gym in Sunday. 

Now traveling most of this week for work. I swam at the hotel last night, which was pretty good.  The same deltoid/bicep strain again meant I didn't try to swim again this morning. 

Ugh, forcing myself to go out running became a real challenge of late. It's about 0°C outside, pavements can be slippery and freezing wind doesn't make it any more appealing. November is the worst month distance wise for me since April (less than 130 km). I need to get a grip. Tonight I'm doing hills. And I signed up for the 13k race in two weeks, so I will race once again this year after all.

I increased my pace (not by much, but progress) and my distance this week. I'm going to stay at those benchmarks for awhile to make sure I don't injure myself or fatigue myself into an illness relapse (this is a big concern, because a relapse can last months). And my core strength has improved to the point where I'm not totally humiliating myself in yoga. I've graduated to merely embarrassing myself. In all, rather pleased right now.

Despite a litany of drawbacks -- early morning, only a banana for fuel, I have a cold, little time available, gym was busy and disrupted my usual set pattern -- I went to the gym this morning for shoulder press and pull ups.  I lost a couple of reps on my heaviest sets but I'm glad I went. 

Now I just hope this cold won't be too bad.  I need some exercise over the weekend. 

I have long flights to and from LA in the meantime.  My sinus will love that. 

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I have long flights to and from LA in the meantime.  My sinus will love that. 

1) 24-hour Sudafed + NSAID + Mucinex
2) Get thee a NeilMed sinus rinse bottle. It's like a netipot but not nearly as frustrating.

Herman the Headmeat Alien used to make flying torture for me -- not just unabated pain, but also uncontrollable nausea due to inner-ear disequilibrium. The drugs make the flight tolerable, and the sinus rinse helps keep everything clear.

Thanks Xray, it's not that bad yet.  Besides, sinus rinse feels like water boarding to me. 

Lots of gargling with Listerine to reduce the infection around the throat and lower sinus, lots of zinc (Zicam) to dry the sinus and reduce the antibody over-reaction, and some NyQuil caplets for tonight, and a ton of Kleenex and hand-wipes so my sneezes don't spray germs everywhere. 

The long first leg of the flight wasn't too bad, hopefully second leg is just as smooth. 

I had had forgotten about your brain-invading alien.  I hope that's all just an unpleasant memory now, and a great gruesome story to enthrall young kids. 

Sinus rinsing takes awhile to get used to, I'll admit. But it's great during allergy season. I'm kinda tied to it now, though, because that's how I get my alien-managing steroids up in there. It's not pretty, but it beats the shit out of being on prednisone (which I think would be my only other option, as every other conventional therapy failed). So, yeah. Herman is still around but he's being managed OK by modern medicine. The relapses of extreme fatigue and other things suck when they happen, tho. That's why I'm so focused on fitness right now -- gotta get in those reps/miles/yoga practices before the next relapse knocks me for a loop. :)

Speaking of which, did weights only today. Just couldn't face the treadmill. Bench and overhead press; seated row; deadlifts. Then some floor work on my core.

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The runs have increased to be 3.19m I was able to finish in 40:37, it was good for an average pace of 12'42".  I spent roughly a third of that walking so that's an improvement. 

Improvements are improvements. Keep at it!

Sorry Xray to hear you still have to deal with relapses.  

It looks like no exercise for me this weekend.  This virus is kicking my ass atm.  I'm lucky that I very rarely get sick and generally enjoy great health, but every now and again even just a cold can leave you wasted for a few days.  

I've met some of my rowing friends last night and some of them go swimming before work and I've talked to them about joining them at least once a week.

Also, thinking of going running tomorrow morning after six months or so.

Archived