Exercise and Fitness - Olympic spirit!

baxus

On 8/15/2016 at 7:13 AM, Happy Ent said:

I took a year off running. 

(The pain – excruciating! –  was completely gone after months; insoles – custom-made after seeing a doctor – worked very well and had immediate effect.) Never had a problem again. 

Find some other sport now.

That's what I'm afraid of! :(

4 hours ago, Starkess said:

That's what I'm afraid of! :(

Think of it this way: In one year you can hit the road again, leaping through forests while your brunette braid bounces merrily to and fro, running deeper and deeper into the encroaching thicket of thick-barked trunks, while smooth branches with fresh leaves caress your arms and legs…

While you’re on a break from that relationship with the local fauna, find something else to do. We’ll wait.

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Baxus - I would have thought that a background in rowing would prepare your lats for pull-ups?  Obviously not the same motion but similar enough, no?

It would've prepared me, if only I had been even remotely regular at rowing practices for a whole year before starting crossfit.

As you said, the motion is not the same but is similar and one does a fair bit of pull-ups during training. Still, you need to be in training in order to row and do pull-ups so you feel the benefit.

Ahhhhh.... feels good to be back in it.  Quads are a bit sore and my back is a little tight, but it feels really good.  Tonight is another yoga class, and if I'm feeling it tomorrow I might try to hit up barre and yoga right after.

I've also made a change to my diet, so limiting dinners to a sensible plate of food, no more drinking, and a very small dessert.  Breakfast & lunch aren't a problem, just need to stop munching at night.  So far so good, so hopefully I can shed 5-10 lbs pretty quickly to get back to how lean I was before happy hours in the sun ;)

I haven't run for two weeks and four days. Ankle pain that won't quite go away. It hurts little enough now that, in the past, I'd have tested it by now. But it was a nagging problem for a long while before it became a real 'injury' a few weeks ago and I promised myself I'd be smart and cautious for once and not run again until I'm fully pain free. Getting pretty frustrated and restless now though... 

i've got fat as f'ck since i got married a month ago and me and the mrs have just been eating out and drinking non stop.  back on the bike this morning (its too easy to let myself go because i know doing 150 mile a week i can drop the weight pretty quickly once i start again).

weights though, jesus i got weak in a month.  

A few months ago we were having a discussion about the best type of protein shakes. For about the last month or so I've switched over to high protein healthy smoothies and I've got to say they're a whole lot better. For example, the one I made this morning had 35g of protein, was about 400 calories with minimal sugars and fats and it also had 2 fruit and 2 veggie servings while tasting absolutely amazing. 

3 days down and barre class to finish the week before classes on the weekend.  Will see if a double class is in me after barre, because my quads are sore af after not working out for a few weeks.  Wish these scabs would heal faster though, getting them ripped off every day mid class is both gross and painful.

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A few months ago we were having a discussion about the best type of protein shakes. For about the last month or so I've switched over to high protein healthy smoothies and I've got to say they're a whole lot better. For example, the one I made this morning had 35g of protein, was about 400 calories with minimal sugars and fats and it also had 2 fruit and 2 veggie servings while tasting absolutely amazing. 

That sounds good but I've found that the effort to maintain ingredients is a pain, and you use a lot of Greek yoghurt all the time.  Plus, 400 calories isn't especially lean for 35g of protein.  I still use the basic Muscle Milk as recommended here.  It works pretty well for me.  I think I'm going to also look for an alternate that's more concentrated on protein (less fats and carbs), so that I have a version available with less calories to deliver the protein.  I usually blend my milkshake with frozen berries for flavor and potassium, plus eat some green beans or raw carrot as I drink for extra fiber and nutrients.

6 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That sounds good but I've found that the effort to maintain ingredients is a pain, and you use a lot of Greek yoghurt all the time.  Plus, 400 calories isn't especially lean for 35g of protein.  I still use the basic Muscle Milk as recommended here.  It works pretty well for me.  I think I'm going to also look for an alternate that's more concentrated on protein (less fats and carbs), so that I have a version available with less calories to deliver the protein.  I usually blend my milkshake with frozen berries for flavor and potassium, plus eat some green beans or raw carrot as I drink for extra fiber and nutrients.

I don't find it very hard to do. The only caveat is that you'll probably have to go to the store twice a week if you want super fresh produce and a second container of the yogurt if you use a lot (I do one serving, which is 22g of protein and 120 calories and you get 4 servings per container). The yogurt is also "fat free" and I use skim milk so it's not very fatty. And I'm using 400 calories as sort of a guess, but you could always throw a scoop of vanilla or flavorless protein in there to get a better ratio and just make a larger batch and drink it in two sittings instead. For example, the one I made this morning after I did my morning cardio was:

1 serving of Greek yogurt

1 cup of skim milk

8 strawberries

half a pack of blueberries

2 cups of spinach

On 8/17/2016 at 4:15 PM, 3CityApache said:

I'm sure it's a smart thing to do, I wish I had enough will to do the same few times before. It would probably save me a lot of time in the long run. How about switching to swimming in the meantime?

Probably a good idea, swimming is something I'd kind like to get into anyway. If the pain persists through the weekend I think I will. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't find it very hard to do. The only caveat is that you'll probably have to go to the store twice a week if you want super fresh produce and a second container of the yogurt if you use a lot (I do one serving, which is 22g of protein and 120 calories and you get 4 servings per container). The yogurt is also "fat free" and I use skim milk so it's not very fatty. And I'm using 400 calories as sort of a guess, but you could always throw a scoop of vanilla or flavorless protein in there to get a better ratio and just make a larger batch and drink it in two sittings instead. For example, the one I made this morning after I did my morning cardio was:

1 serving of Greek yogurt

1 cup of skim milk

8 strawberries

half a pack of blueberries

2 cups of spinach

I got tired of the Greek yoghurt.  That seems to be the universal base in fresh-made protein smoothies.  The fruit and spinach can be added to a protein shake in a blender.

7 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I got tired of the Greek yoghurt.  That seems to be the universal base in fresh-made protein smoothies.  The fruit and spinach can be added to a protein shake in a blender.

Yeah if you're not a fan of the yogurt then it's not for you. And it's true that you can add the produce to your standard protein shake, but I just don't find it to be as enjoyable and you'll still have the less than ideal protein to calories ratio. Plus I think it blends better with the yogurt, but to each their own I guess. 

2 hours ago, HairBearHero said:

Flavoured low-cal/high protein powder (I like strawberry), 250ml milk, a banana.

Costs virtually nothing, slow release carbs from banana, clocks in at 300 calories and about 40grams of protein. Bosh.

Are bananas slow release?  I thought their fructose was relatively quick to hit the bloodstream.  I do like their potassium.  I tend to use them as a pre-workout energy boost rather than a source of slow carbs (oatmeal/porridge, for example)

Last night was squats, dead lifts and calf press.  Good workout.  I'm getting a lot done this week before I have a lot of travel next week.  Even though I finished by 10pm -- not that late by my prior standards -- it messed with my sleep again last night.

On 16 August 2016 at 9:04 AM, baxus said:

Pull-ups are still out of my grasp. I can make one set of five but after that I'm lucky if I get 2-3 unassisted pull-ups and the rest of them are assisted.

Still, it's an ongoing project and it's still on schedule ;) 

I'm so close to getting 20 straight pull ups it's painful hha. Keep hitting the wall at 17/18 might shift some body weight just to do it. 

Archived