Exercise and Fitness - Olympic spirit!

baxus

@Iskaral Pust Respect, man. 5:00 per mile is a pace you easily win 10k street races (and lesser marathons as well for that matter) with. Even 7:00 per mile means 10k in just 43:30 minutes. That's a very good result many amateur runners will never achieve (personally I'm hoping to make it someday, but for now I'm far from it).

@Leap You mean you're going to double the distance covered in February compared to January, and then triple it in March? I'm not sure such a huge and quick increase of the distance may leave no mark on your joints. I'd be careful if I were you.

I had a nice, comfortable 6k run yesterday evening. 28:49 time means the pace of 4:48 (per km of course, not per mile), which confirms I'm able to comfortably run under 5:00 on shorter distances.

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

That's a very good result many amateur runners will never achieve (personally I'm hoping to make it someday, but for now I'm far from it).

One thing you have to remember when comparing times running on the treadmill and running outside is that it is a bit easier to run on the treadmill (basically because of the lack of terrain and because the motion of the treadmill does give you a bit of assistance in picking your leg up). So if you do both it doesn't necessarily mean you've improved if you're going faster on the treadmill, unfortunately. I seem to remember reading somewhere it doesn't take too much in the way of adding an incline on the treadmill to balance the difference out though.

Yeah, I'm aware of that of course (I don't like treadmills, so I almost never use it myself), but nevertheless reaching such pace as 5:00 per mile for more than a kilometer or so is really impressive, treadmill only or not. As is running for miles with the pace of 7:00 per mile. By the way, the biggest difference for me is the wind and generally weather conditions, not the lack of terrain, but that's a detail.

23 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I'm not a serious runner, I just do it for general fitness, but if you're not worried about training for a particular race or distance do you really need to worry about pacing yourself? Just run at a pace you're comfortable with until you have to stop. That's pretty much all I did the last time I restarted running and it didn't take too long to get back up to speed.

Can a more experienced runner tell me how to deal with my inability to pace myself while I get back into practice?

By 'pacing myself' what I mean is: how do I stop myself from going OTT and then wanting to puke, while I am getting my fitness back?

I do really focus on breathing when I run (i.e not getting out of breath too badly) because that is the whole point of yoga so I'm applying the same principles - to control my breath.

NB: treadmills are totally off the menu. I don't do gyms at all and the main thing I like about running is being outdoors.

5 minutes ago, Isis said:

By 'pacing myself' what I mean is: how do I stop myself from going OTT and then wanting to puke, while I am getting my fitness back?

In that case I think the easiest way seems to be using a gps watch to simply control your pace while running. You can of course alternatively use smartphone apps like endomondo, runtastic, strava or loads of others to do just the same, but it is much less convenient to constantly look at your phone, than at the watch on your wrist. I can't recommend such devices enough. My trainings improved dramatically since I bought one.

Just now, 3CityApache said:

In that case I think the easiest way seems to be using a gps watch to simply control your pace while running. You can of course alternatively use smartphone apps like endomondo, runtastic, strava or loads of others to do just the same, but it is much less convenient to constantly look at your phone, than at the watch on your wrist. I can't recommend such devices enough. My trainings improved dramatically since I bought one.

Ironically I literally just bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR! However, I opted not to get the GPS version (after a lot of thought) as it seemed to bulky to be comfortable wearing it (I have really small wrists), plus it was twice the price of the non-GPS version. But hopefully I can still use my new toy to help me out. I don't take my phone when I go running as I like to travel light. :)

5 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

@Iskaral Pust Respect, man. 5:00 per mile is a pace you easily win 10k street races (and lesser marathons as well for that matter) with. Even 7:00 per mile means 10k in just 43:30 minutes. That's a very good result many amateur runners will never achieve (personally I'm hoping to make it someday, but for now I'm far from it).

@Leap

I only do that pace for the last half mile of a three mile run.  It mimics a fast finish for a race back when I was a teen.  Or else I do intervals of one minute at 5:00 followed by three minutes at 8:00.  I have no plan to sustain that pace for 10k.  My shin splints are paining me at the very thought. 

I have some admiration for runners.  I used to enjoy it, but between my shins, terrible knees, and hip pain; it's just not worth it anymore.  Luckily yoga provides the same level of cardio, and with no pain it means I can go for longer (90-120 min).

Yesterday I took barre & yoga, today is flow only, tomorrow is another double, and will get at least one class in on Friday before my 8 day vacation to the dominican.  Weighed myself this morning and hit my goal of losing 10 lbs before my vacation (since the 1st of the year).  Gonna take this break and get right back at it on Monday when I return.  Would like to lose another 10-15lbs by June for the wedding.

17 hours ago, Leap said:

@Isis 

Another rule of thumb for casual runners looking to work up to a standard pace is running slowly enough that you can talk. Doesn't have to be delivering a lecture, but if you can't talk at all beyond a few words, slow down.

Yep, breathing and talking are good goals. :) I was just wondering whether I should actually be doing the whole walk-jog-walk-jog thing to start with.

Archived