Exercise and Fitness - Olympic spirit!

baxus

3 minutes ago, baxus said:

@Equilibrium

It's not about being able to completely cut sugar out or not, it's about wanting to do it or not.

I for one do not think that any of the "this food type is horrible and should be cut out completely" trends are right because of the fact that "this food type" has changed so many times that I remember it lost all meaning. It was fat, it was pork, it was red meat in general, it was carbs, it was sugar and God knows what else and all of it was on repeat cycle.

A quick disclaimer: Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you are having the results and it's working out for you, but it has to be said that each and every one of those trends had the same type of advocates you seem to be. Sharing your experiences is very welcome, it's one of the things this thread is about but you should probably think twice before giving out "friendly advice" to people whose lifestyles/inclinations/medical histories/whatever you know nothing about (I'm assuming here, please correct me if I'm wrong).

I thought twice, it's not fat (where even saturated fat has benefits), it can't backfire, as long you eat carbs body will produce sugar, it is not a health issue, I know a lot about health, especially about blood sugar, you can maintain stable and healthy insulin levels easier without sugar than with it. No one risks anything by cutting sugar. 

And it's not about completely cutting sugar, you can hardly do that, raw grain has it, unprocessed dairy has it, nuts, vegetables, not to mention fruit. Carbs are turned to glucose anyway. But sucrose is at best unnecessary and at worst very harmful.

Of course it's friendly advice, what can I possibly gain by making people cut sugar? I don't sell sugar replacements or my meal plan. I don't have ideological goal, it's not like veganism where you care about animals, sustainability and social recognition by increasing numbers. I gain nothing, and that makes me not lose anything and hardly caring at all. I saw tremendous improvement and I said every one should give it a try and see for themselves.

Since I started telling this to people I frequently got this kind of response and overwhelming number of them say it for one reason, it doesn't mean you are one of them but majority is. People are addicted to sugar and can't bring themselves to cut it, like crack addicts who all can quit if they wanted to, if they tried, charade would be over and they would see it's a fact that they can't stop. Or they value the satisfaction from sugar and it's taste so much they think it's impossible to abstain from it, they are also afraid of revealing their addiction but they are also afraid of success, they know if they stop for two months, they will see how good they feel and then no more cupcakes, they decide not to risk it (risking their health instead).

No to confuse the above said with guilting anyone into anything, there are people who aren't addicted or afraid of change and who make rational choice of sugar taste and feel instead of added health and fitness benefits, maybe they are top athlete who feels perfect all the time, so they really do get more enjoyment from sugar than from abstaining. Maybe all who read this are among those people. It's valid opinion and I'm willing to accept my opinion is not more worthy, but I will never accept it is less valid. I never directly belittled or insulted anyone here and I don't get to pick up blame if someone's worldview was upset by empiric truth I laid out.

48 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

Since I started telling this to people I frequently got this kind of response and overwhelming number of them say it for one reason, it doesn't mean you are one of them but majority is. People are addicted to sugar and can't bring themselves to cut it, like crack addicts who all can quit if they wanted to, if they tried, charade would be over and they would see it's a fact that they can't stop. Or they value the satisfaction from sugar and it's taste so much they think it's impossible to abstain from it, they are also afraid of revealing their addiction but they are also afraid of success, they know if they stop for two months, they will see how good they feel and then no more cupcakes, they decide not to risk it (risking their health instead).

No to confuse the above said with guilting anyone into anything, there are people who aren't addicted or afraid of change and who make rational choice of sugar taste and feel instead of added health and fitness benefits, maybe they are top athlete who feels perfect all the time, so they really do get more enjoyment from sugar than from abstaining. Maybe all who read this are among those people. It's valid opinion and I'm willing to accept my opinion is not more worthy, but I will never accept it is less valid. I never directly belittled or insulted anyone here and I don't get to pick up blame if someone's worldview was upset by empiric truth I laid out.

Comparing people not wanting to cut sugar out to crack addicts is a huge stretch by any standards. What's next, a comparison to Hitler and the nazis?

This thread, like all its previous iterations is here for sharing experience, showing support, giving suggestions and having creative discussions, not "holier than thou" attitude.

Baxus has a point. I do consider cutting some sugar off my diet because I think it will be good for me, but not all, because I like my occasional sweet as one of the few pleasures I enjoy. And I don't really appreciate being compared to a drug addict because of it. Live and let live, however shallow it might sound.

Was awake before my alarm this morning, so I started working out again.  Makes me very happy, even though I am so weak. Can’t wait to get back into it on a regular basis.  Taking it slow to start…3x a week, Sun, Tue, Thur.

Diet is also off to a good start.

I have gotten a fitbit.  I am totally obsessed with my heart rate (no clue why :lol: ) It did verify what I already know: I am a totally chilled driver.  When I first woke up (no alarm), my heart rate was 68; watching tv last night it was 72; driving this morning it was 77.

And even though I felt I was sluggish and weak, I did hit 120 (70% mhr) this morning during my workout, so that’s pretty good for a start. (I’m doing a kick boxing dvd (themed aerobics with some toning) for now.  I’ll add weights and more variety once I get into the routine again)

9 hours ago, Starkess said:

I agree, 10k is my favorite racing distance!

Those two things do not compute! I honestly wouldn't want to live a life without sugar. I'm glad it works for you, but that is in no way feasible for me!

I make paleo desserts.  They contain small amounts of honey, and give me that sweet snack I crave. and when I make them, I divide them up into single serving baggies to prevent myself from over indulging (works most of the time).

I don't want to live without sugar either, but I know I am addict.  it starts small, just to help during this rough period, then just in the mornings, and before I know it, it's all day long, everyday. (and my go to item is Coke...soooo bad, and I know it, but it is my one real vice. it is so hard to give it up. I used to self medicate (my ADD) with it, it is what I turn to instead of alcohol or cigarettes when stressed.

44 minutes ago, baxus said:

Comparing people not wanting to cut sugar out to crack addicts is a huge stretch by any standards. What's next, a comparison to Hitler and the nazis?

This thread, like all its previous iterations is here for sharing experience, showing support, giving suggestions and having creative discussions, not "holier than thou" attitude.

Shared experience, showed support, gave suggestions. Never said anyone here is addict, if somebody found themselves in it they have bigger problems then some guy on the internet talking stuff. Never have I generalized anything I said majority of people I talked with about sugar, are those all people on the world who eat sugar? 

I thought people are aware I can't make them do anything over internet even if I did care enough to try. What harm have I done? 

If you want to be offended go on, it's healthy, you will live longer and frowning burns more calories then smiling, I will leave you to it, I don't plan running the figurative gauntlet every time I type something

Finally on my way home after grueling travel.  I got to swim on Tuesday evening and Thursday morning, plus a very quick session of pull-ups and shoulder press in a crappy hotel gym on Wednesday evening.  Now looking forward to some sleep tonight and back to weights over the weekend.

My back is stiff and sore after six flights in three days, but my local Massage Envy is closed for the next 3 weeks. 

During a race, I like the cheering. It does depend on both my state and what they are saying--if it's someone saying stupid platitudes when I'm half-dead, that's a bit annoying. But even if I'm dying, I appreciate the clever cheers (people have some creative signs out there) and the ones that recognize that yeah, I probably feel terrible. If that makes sense.

When I am just out for a run on my own, any speaking to me is aggravating. Passing other people out running merits a slight head-nod of recognition.

You know...when I can run that is. :crying:

General cheers aimed at runners during the race is the best part of the race, along with seeing the city from a very specific angle.

Sights of a teenage girl standing on a low wall shouting: "You're all winners!" to a runners crowd or a guy holding an "It's not that far anymore" around 15km mark during the Berlin marathon I ran in 2012 are still burned into my mind and are still some of the best memories I have from my half-marathons. I try to show support for runners after I finish my race, so after I'm done stretching and changing my clothes I try to find a spot I can cheer people on from.

I'm not sure I ever received cheers during training, and I don't care about it one bit. If I come across someone I know while out running, I'll wave or say hi, nods my head in passing or anything like that. If I'm on the receiving end of that, I appreciate it and respond in kind. It's just not a big deal to me.

I like cheering crowds during races of course, though I do admit, that sometimes hearing for example "speed up man" when I'm on my last legs might be a little annoying too.

As for noding or waving hands to fellow runners during training, I'm all for that and it's very common around here. Depanding on the route and time of day, during a typical training I pass ten to twenty other runners and with majority of them we say hi to each other one form or another.

On 8/27/2016 at 10:40 AM, Leap said:

As for cutting out sugar, nah. On a personal level, sugar was never the problem I had anyway, it was portion size. On a general level, just eating the right amount of calories seems like a much more pleasurable, effective and easy way to diet than cutting out your favourite foods completely.

Yep, same boat here.  As long as I just eat one plate of food for dinner and wait an hour before deciding if I really need to eat more, I'm usually ok and have plenty of calories left to enjoy a serving of cashew milk salted caramel ice cream (only 180 kcals!!!!).  That's all it really takes.

Took classes all last week from Tuesday-Saturday, with a double class on Saturday that really killed me.  Took a rest day yesterday because I was having some pain in my groin, but it seems to be gone for the most part.  Today I start back up again with some more classes most likely a stretch of a full 2 weeks of classes before my next 'rest' day (will be taking some active rest days in there).  Back down to 190 now and on the verge of cutting down to where I want to be.  180-185 seems to be the sweet spot for me, so that's the goal for the end of next month.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:00 AM, baxus said:

@Lany Freelove Cassandra

Great to see you back, Lany! Looking forward to reading about your progress again. :thumbsup:

Thanks.  It is good to be back :)

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:40 AM, Leap said:

Welcome back, Lany!

Been doing ok with the cutting of my sugars.  Not perfect, but I've given myself a couple of weeks to ease off them.  I do better at work, where I am busy all the time, than the weekends at home. This week it is down to just one soda in the mornings, and (hopefully) no added sugars or grains the rest of the day. Managed the workouts (ugh, I'm so weak) and a whole lot of weeding (which I did as squats).

Saturday was upper body: bench press, pull downs, etc.  It went really well but I failed my attempt at pressing 200lbs; I guess I should not have done it immediately after my (usual) heaviest set.  

Sunday was squats, dead lift, etc.  I increased from 220lbs & 250lbs to 250lbs & 300lbs.  It felt great.  Stiff legs today. 

I'm on the hunt for a new sport and looking for suggestions. Just exercising for it's own sake is fine, but I need some sort of organised competitive element and skill-development to really get the most out of it. Things I've ruled out:

- Team sports and ball-chasing sports. Just not for me, have yet to find one I've truly enjoyed.

- Martial arts. Nothing against them, but BJJ was what I was doing previously and I'm totally burnt out on that whole scene, not to mention the extent that it messed my body up.

- Anything with large amounts of kit required. I was enjoying windsurfing before moving into a small flat, and the sheer hassle of storing and moving kit made me quit.

- Running. I like to run casually. I hate racing.

- Climbing. Very petty reason, but climbing shoes are agony on my feet.

I know it's not competitive, but you may want to look into a hot yoga studio.  The skill development aspect is what keeps me engaged after going almost daily for a year.  Started out very basic, but now I can do a bunch of different arm balances and am working on handstands.  Ton of core work, cardio, and strength building.

@Liffguard

I don't know if you've tried crossfit or if it's something you'd consider, but it's not on the list of the things you ruled out and fits your description pretty well.

You do improve your form and your fitness levels, there are competitions if you're into that sort of thing, all you need is gym clothes/shoes etc.

Leap and Baxus (I think) have both posted about staying below 80kg.  I'm right at 80-81kg depending on the week, but feeling very good at that weight.  I think it's more about body fat, muscle mass and general conditioning than absolute weight.  It's even possible that I'll add another kg or two over several months if I keep lifting weights, although I feel like my strength and weight are at a plateau/equilibrium for now.

(I'm 6'0, fwiw)

On 8/30/2016 at 4:58 AM, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Thanks.  It is good to be back :)

Been doing ok with the cutting of my sugars.  Not perfect, but I've given myself a couple of weeks to ease off them.  I do better at work, where I am busy all the time, than the weekends at home. This week it is down to just one soda in the mornings, and (hopefully) no added sugars or grains the rest of the day. Managed the workouts (ugh, I'm so weak) and a whole lot of weeding (which I did as squats).

<waves to Lany> Good to see you back posting in this thread!

Its been over 2 1/2 weeks since I last did a decent workout, which happened to be the one did early in my vacation. Had planned to get more sessions in during that time but the late nights socializing, which I have no regrets about, kept getting later and later each day.  

I've steered my nutrition back on point these last few days, and have a class planned for tomorrow. Will ease in slowly so as to minimize any doms.  

Archived