what would be jon snow's feelings towards the starks after he learns the truth about his parents?

Marcus corvinus

Jon believed all his life that his cousins where his siblings and that his uncle was his father. He came to see them as his family and grew to love them all(except Cat) despite thinking he is bastard. His loyalty towards them his so great that he almost deserts the night's watch to join robb and does everything in his power to save arya despite it being unethical for the LC to use his powers for flial purposes. 

But if he learns the truth, how would his feelings be towards the starks?

1. Ned: 

scenario 1: Jon would love and respect Ned even more. He would think that his uncle sacrificed his honor, suffered his wife's ire for years just to keep him safe. Ned really had no obligation to protect his sister's bastard. One that everyone and perhaps even ned himself thinks was born of rape. He could've just given jon to a random orphanage. Taking him in his own household was a huge risk for if anyone found out and revealed to robert, ned could face war with the iron throne, a war for a bastard would not be welcome by the northern lords

scenario 2: Jon would resent his uncle. After all he was in reality a prince of targareyn blood and the true heir to the iron throne. Instead of letting arthur dayne keep him and raise him as a prince and help him to reclaim the throne, ned killed dayne and took him as his own bastard. The whole world looked down on him. He suffered cat's ire for no reason at all and spent most of his life with a crippling sense of inferiority. All the while when he was above the starks in station. He had to cower before lady Catelyn when she was supposed to kneel before him! Damn that bloody uncle!

2. Catelyn:

I'm not sure what jon felt about catelyn. Did he hate her or just feared her. He might just be indifferent to her as he now saw that she was committing a folly due to ignorance and he does not blame her. Or he could really pissed about the years of unjust coldness he had to endure from her.

I guess the scenario about her could play out in either way.

3. The Stark children:

Scenario 1: 

He would continue to see them as he did before; as his siblings. They were after all his only real family and friends. He grew up with them and like them and except for Sansa he was close to all of them, particularly Robb and Arya. The revelation would change nothing and if anything he would be even more fierce in defending them so as to repay his uncle's debt to him.

Scenario 2: 

This is unlikely, knowing jon but he could feel a slight bit of resentment towards them. After all they were always treated better than him by society when in reality he was a prince and they were mere lordlings.

1. When Jon receives Longclaw from Mormont, he thinks Ned Stark will always be his father, no matter how many swords he is given. The revelation will undoubtedly be a shock for him and he may have very conflicting feelings(especially at first), but I'm sure he will understand how much Ned risked for him and will love Ned even more if it's possible. Ned being the main father figure to him all his life will not change.

2. I don't think his feelings for Catelyn will change. Why would they? Catelyn's behaviour towards him had nothing to do with Jon's true parentage. 

3. He will have no reason to love his siblings any less. They grew up as brothers and sisters, and that is what matters.

After learning about his true parentage, Jon will not jump to the conclusion that he should sit or should have sat the IT, and I don't think he will think of himself any differently because of his royal blood. He judges people on the basis of individual merit. 

I have a feeling that Jon may learn about his true parentage around the same time he learns about Robb's will. One will make him a true-born son of Eddard Stark and heir to Robb (regardless of the realistic political implications, it will mean a lot to Jon, personally), the other will reveal that he is not Eddard's son at all, although still a Stark by blood. One may become public knowledge enabling him to accept or refuse. The other revelation may be private, with no prospects to offer, but enough to give him a conflict of conscience regarding Robb's will.  

36 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

I have a feeling that Jon may learn about his true parentage around the same time he learns about Robb's will.

I agree with this and think that Jon will have a real conflict with the information. The Targaryen blood won't be common knowledge and he'll be torn as to whether to reveal the information. I think this quote may have been foreshadowing.

Tyrion Lannister had claimed that most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it, but Jon was done with denials. He was who he was; Jon Snow, bastard and oathbreaker, motherless, friendless, and damned. For the rest of his life—however long that might be—he would be condemned to be an outsider, the silent man standing in the shadows who dares not speak his true name. Wherever he might go throughout the Seven Kingdoms, he would need to live a lie, lest every man's hand be raised against him

This post obviously assumes that Jon will survive in the books.  It's not a guarantee, after all.

His feelings toward the Starks likely wouldn't change.  Regardless of the fact Ned is his uncle, he is the man who raised him & the only father he ever knew.  His feelings for Cat wouldn't change - she treated him terribly. 

As for Rhaegar & Lyanna - he'd probably admire the fact that Lyanna's final act in her life was an effort to keep him safe, Rhaegar would be harder to define.  He grew up believing that the man abducted & raped Lyanna (whether this was actually the case or not).

I find it hard to image Jon would be too greatly effected in my opinion. I think he would be able to leave the self pity out of the matter.

That is of course if he does somehow survive. And then if he did I would assume he would be pretty annoyed at them for 'murder' more than he would the Starks for giving him a privileged life.

In that Howland Reed is the guy with all the answers I think he will decide what to tell Jon.    Surely someone among the GNC knows the contents of Robb's Will.   From strictly a reader's POV I read Jon as learning.   He learned honor with the Starks.   He learned to make hard decisions for the greater good with the Wildlings.   He learned to be an unpopular leader with the Nights Watch.  All this seems to set Jon up for great leadership despite his current circumstances.   Loyalty will play in big in Jon's story as will his further determination to ultimately defeat the Others.    He's going to become more evangelical in TWOW, spreading the word.  I would expect this bombshell about his true parentage will come after he takes control of the entire North.   This information will serve his story not stop it.  He will develop the feelings he's already got and hopefully expand them to include the few Targ relatives (who knows? maybe even Blackfyre relatives...) he will come across once he's got the knowledge.  After all, the only Targ Jon's ever actually known is a man he loved and respected.  

In that Ned raised Jon with love there is no reason Jon wouldn't understand Ned's motives and perhaps even take some caution in the future because of the the great care Ned took in protecting Jon's true identity.    It will be interesting to see if he comes across any of the remnants of the Tully family and how those interactions play out.   I bring this up in the same vein as how interesting it would be to see Jon run across Randyll Tarly or even Jamie Lannister again.   I don't ship anyone in this story, though I admit the whole Jamie/Brienne thing is a wickedly interesting thing.  Jon and Arya?  Not so much, but Arya is still just a child.    What's important is what Jon wants.   Jon wants Arya SAFE, not necessarily married.  (Gads, what would Jon think of what's become of his little sister?)   He may find himself needing to take a wife, but I can't really see how or why.  I'm doubtful there will be any romance between Jon and any of the Stark children.   Though Ghost and Nymeria could become pack and that would be very good.   Odds are the interactions between Bran and Jon will be the most interesting on many levels not limited to Jon performing Bran's more secular duties.  

17 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

I have a question. Why didn't Ned just secretly inform Catelyn that he wasn't the true father but make her keep the secret?

This way Cat probably treats him differently, and he doesn't have to pretend he dishonoured his own wife all this time.

Ned gives us an answer of sorts:

It struck him suddenly that he might return to Winterfell by sea. Ned was no sailor, and ordinarily would have preferred the kingsroad, but if he took ship he could stop at Dragonstone and speak with Stannis Baratheon. Pycelle had sent a raven off across the water, with a polite letter from Ned requesting Lord Stannis to return to his seat on the small council. As yet, there had been no reply, but the silence only deepened his suspicions. Lord Stannis shared the secret Jon Arryn had died for, he was certain of it. The truth he sought might very well be waiting for him on the ancient island fortress of House Targaryen.

And when you have it, what then? Some secrets are safer kept hidden. Some secrets are too dangerous to share, even with those you love and trust. Ned slid the dagger that Catelyn had brought him out of the sheath on his belt. The Imp's knife. Why would the dwarf want Bran dead? To silence him, surely. Another secret, or only a different strand of the same web? (Eddard VIII in Game)

By hiding Jon and his true identity, Ned is effectively committing treason.  That is not something you readily admit, even to those you love and trust.  And the smaller the group of people who knew of Jon's true identity was, the better.  Ned also knows that Catelyn would do anything to protect her children, and hiding Jon places the entire family in danger if it becomes known who he is. 

Ned thought, If it came to that, the life of some child I did not know, against Robb and Sansa and Arya and Bran and Rickon, what would I do? Even more so, what would Catelyn do, if it were Jon's life, against the children of her body? He did not know. He prayed he never would. (Eddard XII in Game)

14 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

I have a question. Why didn't Ned just secretly inform Catelyn that he wasn't the true father but make her keep the secret?

This way Cat probably treats him differently, and he doesn't have to pretend he dishonoured his own wife all this time.

I think it was for several reasons.

Firstly, in general, the fewer people know of a dangerous secret, the safer it is.

Secondly, as Robert says, Ned hardly knew Catelyn at the beginning of their married life, so he couldn't know how much he could trust her. Even in AGoT, Ned actually wonders what Catelyn would do if it were Jon's life at stake against the lives of her own children, and he hopes he will never know the answer.

Thirdly, although Catelyn would know Ned didn't cheat on her, she would also know what a huge risk Ned has taken for Jon. She would realize that their whole family (yes, including her own children) could be in danger if Robert found out the truth. I don't think she would love Jon Snow any more with this knowledge than without it. In addition, the world would still think that Ned cheated on her and is raising his bastard in the family castle, so only part of the humiliation would be removed. Also, she would still think Jon or Jon's sons may be a danger to her own children's or grandchildren's inheritance, since everyone (including Jon himself) would still think he is Ned's son. As a result, most of the causes of her resentment would still exist (with the only comfort that Ned didn't really cheat on her, but that isn't her greatest problem at all) and it would be aggravated by the fear that Jon's mere existence may endanger the lives of her loved ones.

Finally, if Robert does find out the truth and decides to punish Ned, Catelyn and her children may be spared because they didn't know about Jon's true parentage at all. There is no guarantee, of course, but it's a chance Ned has to think about.

5 hours ago, Balerion's Whiskers said:

I agree with this and think that Jon will have a real conflict with the information. The Targaryen blood won't be common knowledge and he'll be torn as to whether to reveal the information. I think this quote may have been foreshadowing.

Yes, that's how I imagine it, too. 

I agree about the quote, it does seem to foreshadow a time when Jon knows the secret of his own birth but does not share it with anyone.

Archived