Will we see Gendry again (in GOT)?

Aerys Blackfyre

Do you think we are going to see Gendry again in the tv show?

If yes, I thought about 3 possible scenarios:

- enrolls in Dany's army as a blacksmith (just to give his contribution to a serious Lannister ass kicking)

- shows up at Winterfell: knock knock, the Starks are the only ones that tried to help me somehow, so I'm here to help

- shows up at the Wall, because basically anywhere else there is somebody that wants/tried to kill him

Gendry is a big cliffhanger outta here. There are several threads discussing Gendry's fate among others. TBH, I don't see any storyline for him now, he's likely to reappera and die like several other characters in s6. The main point of Gendry in the show were his Baratheon's looks, proving that Cersei's children aren't Baratheons, thus challenging their right for the IT. Now all Cersei's children are dead,it Isn't relevant anymore.

I doubt that Gendry could end up on the IT or continue Baratheon's line, inheriting Storm's End. He has no education, except being a blacksmith, no political knowledge and with only 14 episodes left he doesn't have time to become somebody important.

The entire purpose of Gendry was to further the bastard plotline in regards to the Iron Throne. Short of being brought back Osha style to be a victim for shock value, what would his return bring to the story? We're down to two quasi-seasons in which both the War for Westeros and the War for the Dawn have to be resolved. That loose plot end has literally sailed, there really seems to be no point in bringing it back up again.

There is potential for Gendry to return, but I believe only to bring back steel from Valyrian steel or swords that he finds. Then give Arya one of the swords  to protect her from the Others.

Far out idea (Only to have her kill him as a sacrifice given he has seen the power that the lord of light has, which would possibly be how the new light bringer gets created, remember Arya has experienced the magic of the faceless men, so might believe it also. No I am not saying that Arya or Gendry is tptwp or azor ahai, just that the might help create the sword.)

If he were to return, it would have to be with a bigger significance than as a swordsmith.

Tinfoil theory: Gendry is the one child true born of Cersei and Robert.  Sources say either that this child died at birth, or was sickly and later died.  I can easily see a storyline where the child was sickly, Cersei hated Robert, ergo Cersei hated said child, so she had a minion get rid of Gendry, who ended up as a bastard with some family somewhere else. 

Gendry can return to the story as the one true Baratheon, and the story can end up as it started - with a Baratheon on the IT, if only momentarily.  

Recognizing the few episodes left, it is likely that this will not happen but I think it could and it would only take a few episodes to embroider this back story in.  Viewers already know him, Arya knows him, and he could easily be inserted in.

I think there's a pretty good chance Gendry will return, maybe along the lines of 60/40 with the 60% being in favor of him returning.  I can see three possibilities for his return (many of which have already been talked about). 

1. As a blacksmith that is responsible for creating Valyrian steel swords against the White Walkers

2. As Arya's romantic interest.

3. As the eventual lord of Storm's End.

I also think the 3 aren't mutually exclusive, meaning that I believe he can be brought back into the show for 2 or even all 3 of the plotlines above (although all 3 would be a tough feat with the limited amount of shows remaining). I actually think the third is the most likely.  With all Baratheons gone from the show, I feel like they will be compelled to do something to keep the Baratheon line alive.

Since the show is simplifying the storyline and given how they combined Gendry and Edric Storm's storylines together, I believe that Gendry HAS to appear on the show.

We have seen the scenes how Gendry just enjoys being in the Brotherhood without Banners and how he despises nobility. We also have Edric Dayne in the books leaving BwB to start his own branch with Anguy (my best guess is Kingswood area in Stormlands). So with that in mind and the fact that Reach and Dorne already joined Dany (Lannisters still holding the capital and Westerlands, Euron controlling Iron Isles and Starks having the support of the Vale and the North), there are three areas Dany can fill the power vacuum in: Dragonstone - Targaryen ancestral seat now that Stannis is gone; Riverlands - Freys are also gone and the region is ripe for the taking, I believe Brotherhood without Banners will fill that void till Dany comes there; and Stormlands - officially the lords of the region are sworn to Iron Throne, but there is no nominal Baratheon left in the capital, and there is no way storm lords will bend the knee to a Lannister.

When Dany lands in Stormlands, she will have to take Storm's End to make storm lords bend the knee to her. Kingswood is in Stormlands, and I can see him leading a band of outlaws that protect the common folk from lords and their tyranny, which might appeal to Dany. She is "Mhysa" to thousands of slaves and liberator by nature, I think she will make an alliance with Gendry and once Storm's End is taken, name him her Lord of Storm's End. Another bastard rising high in the political sphere of Westeros, just like Jon in the North, and Sands in Dorne.

With Stormlands in her pocket, I believe she will hear the news of Euron pillaging and destroying the Reach, so she will march westwards. Samwell is DESTINED to learn the secret of Valyrian steel forging. He will need dragonfire (Dany), dragonglass (also Dany, she now controls Dragonstone), and a skilled smith (Gendry). Euron will destroy Highgarden and Oldtown and briefly get in control of Dany's dragons thanks to dragon horn (which is not presented yet - the ONLY chance he has against Dany), but Sam the Slayer will put an arrow through him just like a huntsman on Tarly banner. Euron is Crow's Eye, and Sam is a crow.

So yeah, Gendry is definitely showing up next season and will ally with Dany in my opinion.

1 hour ago, A Time for Starks said:

I think there's a pretty good chance Gendry will return, maybe along the lines of 60/40 with the 60% being in favor of him returning.  I can see three possibilities for his return (many of which have already been talked about). 

1. As a blacksmith that is responsible for creating Valyrian steel swords against the White Walkers

2. As Arya's romantic interest.

3. As the eventual lord of Storm's End.

I also think the 3 aren't mutually exclusive, meaning that I believe he can be brought back into the show for 2 or even all 3 of the plotlines above (although all 3 would be a tough feat with the limited amount of shows remaining). I actually think the third is the most likely.  With all Baratheons gone from the show, I feel like they will be compelled to do something to keep the Baratheon line alive.

I am inclined to agree with this.  I think his trade is blacksmith for a reason, we know that his master was very knowledgeable about Valyrian steel.  Valyrian steel is important in the fight against the Others (hence Sam's detour).  Okay probably mixing some elements from the books here but in the books he is with the Brotherhood.

As for Arya it seems a little too obvious for them to end up having a romantic encounter.  However, in the show at least he is the last of the main Baratheons (as they combined this character with Edric).  I am very much of the mind that the end game couple wise will involve a series of unions (political, for love, one or the other or both) amongst the main houses which will forge the peace and the hope for a new beginning based on compromise.  Arya/Gendry could work in this context IMHO.

Also the royal blood may yet pay another part in the magic shenanigans. Maybe not but I wouldn't discount it.

As for him holding land and titles, seems unlikely and yes he is not educated etc but, although Jon was brought up in a castle and he wasn't, there is that precedent with Jon in terms people caring more for blood than birth status.

My gold dragons are on yes, in some capacity, he will resurface, just like Sandor did and there will be a purpose for Sandor's return as well.  We just don't know what this is exactly.

49 minutes ago, Scorpion92 said:

Since the show is simplifying the storyline and given how they combined Gendry and Edric Storm's storylines together, I believe that Gendry HAS to appear on the show.

We have seen the scenes how Gendry just enjoys being in the Brotherhood without Banners and how he despises nobility. We also have Edric Dayne in the books leaving BwB to start his own branch with Anguy (my best guess is Kingswood area in Stormlands). So with that in mind and the fact that Reach and Dorne already joined Dany (Lannisters still holding the capital and Westerlands, Euron controlling Iron Isles and Starks having the support of the Vale and the North), there are three areas Dany can fill the power vacuum in: Dragonstone - Targaryen ancestral seat now that Stannis is gone; Riverlands - Freys are also gone and the region is ripe for the taking, I believe Brotherhood without Banners will fill that void till Dany comes there; and Stormlands - officially the lords of the region are sworn to Iron Throne, but there is no nominal Baratheon left in the capital, and there is no way storm lords will bend the knee to a Lannister.

When Dany lands in Stormlands, she will have to take Storm's End to make storm lords bend the knee to her. Kingswood is in Stormlands, and I can see him leading a band of outlaws that protect the common folk from lords and their tyranny, which might appeal to Dany. She is "Mhysa" to thousands of slaves and liberator by nature, I think she will make an alliance with Gendry and once Storm's End is taken, name him her Lord of Storm's End. Another bastard rising high in the political sphere of Westeros, just like Jon in the North, and Sands in Dorne.

With Stormlands in her pocket, I believe she will hear the news of Euron pillaging and destroying the Reach, so she will march westwards. Samwell is DESTINED to learn the secret of Valyrian steel forging. He will need dragonfire (Dany), dragonglass (also Dany, she now controls Dragonstone), and a skilled smith (Gendry). Euron will destroy Highgarden and Oldtown and briefly get in control of Dany's dragons thanks to dragon horn (which is not presented yet - the ONLY chance he has against Dany), but Sam the Slayer will put an arrow through him just like a huntsman on Tarly banner. Euron is Crow's Eye, and Sam is a crow.

So yeah, Gendry is definitely showing up next season and will ally with Dany in my opinion.

Love your theory.  Wouldn't mind it coming true ;)

5 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Love your theory.  Wouldn't mind it coming true ;)

Thanks. There is a reason why the showrunners revealed Gendry's ancestry even though he does not know it yet in the books.

House Baratheon is officially wiped out, and Gendry is the only blood of this dynasty. And we are going to see Dany's invasion of Southern Westeros.

We need to see AT LEAST every major castle in every southern kingdom during Dany's invasion, which includes Storm's End and Casterly Rock. And the only anti-Cersei claimant of Storm's End is Gendry in the show. That is wht I believe he HAS to show up in Stormlands.

And besides, we have casting news of Storm's End. Which automatically should trigger "Baratheon" signs.

1 minute ago, Scorpion92 said:

Thanks. There is a reason why the showrunners revealed Gendry's ancestry even though he does not know it yet in the books.

House Baratheon is officially wiped out, and Gendry is the only blood of this dynasty. And we are going to see Dany's invasion of Southern Westeros.

We need to see AT LEAST every major castle in every southern kingdom, which includes Storm's End and Casterly Rock. And the only anti-Cersei claimant of Storm's End is Gendry in the show. That is wht I believe he HAS to show up in Stormlands.

I think his status as one of the very few Baratheons left in the books will be important and since in the show the only bastard of Robert properly featured is him yeah he is coming back me thinks ;)

Archived