Will we see Gendry again (in GOT)?

Aerys Blackfyre

5 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I think his status as one of the very few Baratheons left in the books will be important and since in the show the only bastard of Robert properly featured is him yeah he is coming back me thinks ;)

Could not agree more.

Personally, I believe the endgame for him in the books is to be the last living member of Baratheon/Durrandon bloodline, however, he will not take Baratheon for his last name because his father has never been there for him. He will earn the fame for himself the hard way. 

Just now, Scorpion92 said:

Could not agree more.

Personally, I believe the endgame for him in the books is to be the last living member of Baratheon/Durrandon bloodline, however, he will not take Baratheon for his last name because his father has never been there for him. He will earn the fame for himself the hard way. 

I have this crackpot theory that a number of marriages amongs previously warring houses will cement the new beginnings; I know it sounds a little too Disney for ASOIAF but him and Arya could work and the other couples I got in mind might have friendship but not full blown love from the onset so maybe ...

12 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I have this crackpot theory that a number of marriages amongs previously warring houses will cement the new beginnings; I know it sounds a little too Disney for ASOIAF but him and Arya could work and the other couples I got in mind might have friendship but not full blown love from the onset so maybe ...

You are not that far from my thoughts as well. I envision a completely new political and economic system in Westeros after Long Night and a group of POV characters on the small council ruling the realm in the name of underaged "prince that was promised" - Eddard Stark, First of His Name. But that is a whole other essay on its own.  

All I will say is that Gendry will become Chief General / Military Commander who will bring peace, justice and law to all parts of the new realm and punish those who pray and hurt the weak (Brotherhood without Banners' ideals).

His blood is important - he is a Baratheon. He will be an amalgamation of three Baratheon brothers and will possess Robert's strength and physique and talent for leading and crushing bones with a hammer, Stannis' stubbornness and brilliant military mind and strategic talent, and Renly's charisma and love of his subordinates and friends, in other words, soldiers under him will gladly die for their commander.

And I definitely think he will be married to Princess Arya of House Stark, the new royal house of Westeros thanks to Jon. Their kids will bear their mother's name because, again, Gendry will not take Baratheon as his name. Orys Baratheon took the sigil and words of his wife's house, and I see similar thing happening here, only Gendry will take it further and take Stark name as well.

On 8/8/2016 at 3:23 PM, Aerys Blackfyre said:

Do you think we are going to see Gendry again in the tv show?

If yes, I thought about 3 possible scenarios:

- enrolls in Dany's army as a blacksmith (just to give his contribution to a serious Lannister ass kicking)

- shows up at Winterfell: knock knock, the Starks are the only ones that tried to help me somehow, so I'm here to help

- shows up at the Wall, because basically anywhere else there is somebody that wants/tried to kill him

I certainly hope we see Gendry again, I like the character and he has played a big enough role that I think it would be wrong to leave him as a dangling plot thread.

Personally, I'd like to see Arya and Gendry end up together, both b/c they have great chemistry together and are already really good friends, and b/c their fathers (Ned and Robert) were VERY good friends, so I think it would be fitting.  I think their personalities complement each other very well, too (opposites often attract, and Arya and Gendry have some very opposite personality traits)

On 8/9/2016 at 8:07 AM, Future Null Infinity said:

I think 50/50 we will see Gendry, if he will reappear in the story then it will be only for a romance with Arya other than that I can't see any bigger role for him in the whole story

Hey, a fellow Arya and Gendry "shipper"!

Nice!!

I would really love to see this, and I think there's an excellent chance it will happen.

1 minute ago, Cron said:

Hey, a fellow Arya and Gendry "shipper"!

Nice!!

I would really love to see this, and I think there's an excellent chance it will happen.

I know people are reading tons into that time when Ned told Arya she would marry a king etc.  He might not be a big ruler or anything but he does have king blood although I don't really like to take those sentences as foreshadowing literal gospel to be honest.  I like them too personally but Arya has to come out of that revenge obsession first I think and something will have (similar arc to Tyrion's I think) that revenge as an only goal is overrated lol

On 8/11/2016 at 11:57 AM, KingofIce said:

There is potential for Gendry to return, but I believe only to bring back steel from Valyrian steel or swords that he finds. Then give Arya one of the swords  to protect her from the Others.

Far out idea (Only to have her kill him as a sacrifice given he has seen the power that the lord of light has, which would possibly be how the new light bringer gets created, remember Arya has experienced the magic of the faceless men, so might believe it also. No I am not saying that Arya or Gendry is tptwp or azor ahai, just that the might help create the sword.)

I like what you have to say too, definitely including Gendry possibly being important in connection with Valyrian steel.

I think it's clear that Sam is in the Citadel for a reason that's going to be VERY important to beating the Others, and high on my list of possibilities is that he's going to rediscover the secrets of making Valyrian steel, which is a sub-plot Gendry could play a large role in quite easliy.

10 hours ago, A Time for Starks said:

I think there's a pretty good chance Gendry will return, maybe along the lines of 60/40 with the 60% being in favor of him returning.  I can see three possibilities for his return (many of which have already been talked about). 

1. As a blacksmith that is responsible for creating Valyrian steel swords against the White Walkers

2. As Arya's romantic interest.

3. As the eventual lord of Storm's End.

I also think the 3 aren't mutually exclusive, meaning that I believe he can be brought back into the show for 2 or even all 3 of the plotlines above (although all 3 would be a tough feat with the limited amount of shows remaining). I actually think the third is the most likely.  With all Baratheons gone from the show, I feel like they will be compelled to do something to keep the Baratheon line alive.

Great points about keeping the Baratheon line alive.  That makes a LOT of sense to me.

Even if he was not natural born, he can be "naturalized" quite easily.

3 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Great stuff.

In reading through this thread, I've been pleasantly surprised to discover that more people seem to be thinking about Arya and Gendry getting together (like I do) than I realized.  (A while back I tried to start an Arya and Gendry topic on the subject, but it crashed and burned. HAR!)

3 minutes ago, Cron said:

Great stuff.

In reading through this thread, I've been pleasantly surprised to discover that more people seem to be thinking about Arya and Gendry getting together (like I do) than I realized.  (A while back I tried to start an Arya and Gendry topic on the subject, but it crashed and burned. HAR!)

When it comes to pairings people have very strong ideas of what they want to see and what they don't and sometimes they just use too many quotes to "prove" without a shadow of a doubt that this or that foreshadows this or that.  I am not disputing that yes sometimes things that have been casually said at some point have come to pass but I also think that not every single sentence is there just to foreshadow.  Besides, I think it is fun to speculate without getting too serious.  I thought that this was a popular pairing, just like Jaime/Brienne but maybe I just haven't spoken enough about them to find enough opposition.  Now, one of my predictions is Sansa/Tyrion and that really, really gets people mad at me but oh, well, as I keep saying "we shall see..." although it's looking at a number of years yet ;)

15 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I know people are reading tons into that time when Ned told Arya she would marry a king etc.  He might not be a big ruler or anything but he does have king blood although I don't really like to take those sentences as foreshadowing literal gospel to be honest.  I like them too personally but Arya has to come out of that revenge obsession first I think and something will have (similar arc to Tyrion's I think) that revenge as an only goal is overrated lol

Again, good stuff.   I could be wrong, but my memory is that Ned said she would marry a lord, but not necessarly a king (I assume we're talking about the scene when Arya was practicing her balancing and Ned stopped to talk to her, I think she told him about chasing cats, they talked about Arya's and Sansa's futures, Ned made the comment and Arya said something like "No, that's Sansa" and went back to balancing)

Regarding the "revenge" issue:  I realize Arya's psychology has been the subject of a LOT of discussion, but frankly I think of her more as the "hand of justice" than just a person obsessed with revenge, but maybe I'm unintentionally sugar coating it b/c she is so likable as a character otherwise.  But hey, that's the main beauty of GRRM's work, in my opinion, different opinions and perspectives on the characters.

3 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

When it comes to pairings people have very strong ideas of what they want to see and what they don't and sometimes they just use too many quotes to "prove" without a shadow of a doubt that this or that foreshadows this or that.  I am not disputing that yes sometimes things that have been casually said at some point have come to pass but I also think that not every single sentence is there just to foreshadow.  Besides, I think it is fun to speculate without getting too serious.  I thought that this was a popular pairing, just like Jaime/Brienne but maybe I just haven't spoken enough about them to find enough opposition.  Now, one of my predictions is Sansa/Tyrion and that really, really gets people mad at me but oh, well, as I keep saying "we shall see..." although it's looking at a number of years yet ;)

Well, whether it's being predicted or foreshadowed or not, I thought Arya had a little crush on Gendry.  My memory is that when she and Gendry parted ways, that seemed to bother her more than her parting of ways with anyone else (except her family members).  It was a touching scene, with her saying something like "we can be a family," and Gendry says something like "no, you would be My Lady," and she seemed really hurt and disappointed by that.    Also, I thought they had great chemistry and interaction in that scene by the creek (or whatever) when Gendry told her he knew she was a girl, lots of friendly banter and teasing.  Gendry has a light hearted, casual, humorous personality that I thought provided great balance to Arya's fierce seriousness.

Jaime and Brienne:  I know there's been talk about this, but I consider it VERY unlikely, and frankly I'd rather see her with Tormund anyway (as has been hinted at in the show in Season 6, more than once in fact).  Part of the reason I don't believe Jaime and Brienne will ever be together is b/c I've believed since I first read Storm of Swords quite a few years ago (ten years, maybe?) that Jaime will die a hero in the final battle, and I'm sticking to that prediction.

Sansa and Tyrion:  Least likely of all three pairings I'm discussing here, I think (but I'm not mad about it, HAR!). Sorry,  i just do not see that happening, I think Sandor be a less surprising husband for Sansa, and I even think "San-San" is unlikely, too.  So who do I see Sansa with?  Dunno, but none of this stuff feels right (or even Jon and Sansa, although I know that theory has been going around, too).  Littlefinger? Absurd, in my opinion.  Maybe at the moment I'm leaning towards Sansa NOT being with anybody when this current run of GOT ends, but rather, just being a strong woman in her own right.

19 minutes ago, Cron said:

Great stuff.

Cron, replying to you but for some reason it keeps quoting the wrong post.  Someone has posted that scene in another thread, can't remember off hand and it says definitely "king" to Sansa however he says something like I will marry you to a highborn who is kind and gentle and brave or something like that, but definitely "king" to Arya.  Of course this could just be a manner of speaking though.

Arya is one of the top characters and very complex indeed.  I personally keep comparing her arc to Tyrion's in that they both started feisty but fundamentally nice and then they kind of got "broken" because of circumstances and turned a lot darker (Arya especially). Okay they weren't white and they are now black but they have both crossed the line.  I agree that Arya represents the hand of justice but this is very negative for her and she is becoming pretty dehumanised.  Okay, it was a matter of necessity but there have been times when she had killed a guard without batting an eyelid.  I am not judging her, I know where she is coming from but I think that part 3 of her arc is going to be realising that revenge (or justice as you might call it) can no longer be all that her heart desires.  If she stayed like this forever she would become for a narrative point of view a weapon as opposed to player or participant, a bit like I see ser Illyn Payne.  Even if she gets to decide who dies (unlike Ser Illyn) she would still be more machine than character.  I think this is the next part of her arc:  okay to ditch the Faceless Men (but retain the skills she learnt from them) and then regain her humanity again.  What might be the catalyst for this to happen I don't know.  Obviously her experience with the FM and her decision to leave (which will definitely happen in the books too)  Now another recent crackpot theory of mine is that she will come across Stoneheart and I think that will shock her and how SH is now an instrument of justice and revenge and not a functioning human and I think this will be a very important point for her.  I guess it might even be her who finishes her off (which indeed would be a mercy) but I could well be wrong on this one.

I think whereas a lot of the characters have mainly 2 phases to their arc, for e.g. Sansa from naive dreamer to observer and player; both her and Tyrion definitely have from nice neutral to descending into a much darker place to bounce back again.  But again all of this of course is just my personal view and prediction in a way.

3 minutes ago, Cron said:

Well, whether it's being predicted or foreshadowed or not, I thought Arya had a little crush on Gendry.  My memory is that when she and Gendry parted ways, that seemed to bother her more than her parting of ways with anyone else (except her family members).  It was a touching scene, with her saying something like "we can be a family," and Gendry says something like "no, you would be My Lady," and she seemed really hurt and disappointed by that.    Also, I thought they had great chemistry and interaction in that scene by the creek (or whatever) when Gendry told her he knew she was a girl, lots of friendly banter and teasing.  Gendry has a light hearted, casual, humorous personality that I thought provided great balance to Arya's fierce seriousness.

Jaime and Brienne:  I know there's been talk about this, but I consider it VERY unlikely, and frankly I'd rather see her with Tormund anyway (as has been hinted at in the show in Season 6, more than once in fact).  Part of the reason I don't believe Jaime and Brienne will ever be together is b/c I've believed since I first read Storm of Swords quite a few years ago (ten years, maybe?) that Jaime will die a hero in the final battle, and I'm sticking to that prediction.

Sansa and Tyrion:  Least likely of all three pairings I'm discussing here, I think (but I'm not mad about it, HAR!). Sorry,  i just do not see that happening, I think Sandor be a less surprising husband for Sansa, and I even think "San-San" is unlikely, too.  So who do I see Sansa with?  Dunno, but none of this stuff feels right (or even Jon and Sansa, although I know that theory has been going around, too).  Littlefinger? Absurd, in my opinion.  Maybe at the moment I'm leaning towards Sansa NOT being with anybody when this current run of GOT ends, but rather, just being a strong woman in her own right.

I totally agree with you about that chapter with Arya and Gendry.

Now, Brienne and Jaime they definitely have feelings for each other in the books, they dream about each other and so on lol, but it might well be that one of them or both die before any of it can actually become a reality, which I think it is the most likely scenario but their arcs cross and they influence one another for sure.

Now Tyrion/Sansa too long a story for me to go on about it in this thread.  I personally think that this is the union that makes politically the more sense,  I personally think that the Sansa Sandor is a bit of a teenage infatuation and that his arc is linked to other stuff but i could be wrong.  I am just sort of convinced that George threw them together in that forced marriage for a reason but my theories are based on a lot of different stuff which I am sure will come up in more detail in other threads.  I am happy to discuss it but too long and out of topic in this thread though.

7 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Cron, replying to you but for some reason it keeps quoting the wrong post.  Someone has posted that scene in another thread, can't remember off hand and it says definitely "king" to Sansa however he says something like I will marry you to a highborn who is kind and gentle and brave or something like that, but definitely "king" to Arya.  Of course this could just be a manner of speaking though.

Arya is one of the top characters and very complex indeed.  I personally keep comparing her arc to Tyrion's in that they both started feisty but fundamentally nice and then they kind of got "broken" because of circumstances and turned a lot darker (Arya especially). Okay they weren't white and they are now black but they have both crossed the line.  I agree that Arya represents the hand of justice but this is very negative for her and she is becoming pretty dehumanised.  Okay, it was a matter of necessity but there have been times when she had killed a guard without batting an eyelid.  I am not judging her, I know where she is coming from but I think that part 3 of her arc is going to be realising that revenge (or justice as you might call it) can no longer be all that her heart desires.  If she stayed like this forever she would become for a narrative point of view a weapon as opposed to player or participant, a bit like I see ser Illyn Payne.  Even if she gets to decide who dies (unlike Ser Illyn) she would still be more machine than character.  I think this is the next part of her arc:  okay to ditch the Faceless Men (but retain the skills she learnt from them) and then regain her humanity again.  What might be the catalyst for this to happen I don't know.  Obviously her experience with the FM and her decision to leave (which will definitely happen in the books too)  Now another recent crackpot theory of mine is that she will come across Stoneheart and I think that will shock her and how SH is now an instrument of justice and revenge and not a functioning human and I think this will be a very important point for her.  I guess it might even be her who finishes her off (which indeed would be a mercy) but I could well be wrong on this one.

I think whereas a lot of the characters have mainly 2 phases to their arc, for e.g. Sansa from naive dreamer to observer and player; both her and Tyrion definitely have from nice neutral to descending into a much darker place to bounce back again.  But again all of this of course is just my personal view and prediction in a way.

Regarding whether Ned said "king" to Arya:  Hmmmm...My understanding is you are saying Ned definitely said king to both Sansa and Arya, but i'm not clear on who you are saying Ned said "kind and gentle and brave" to (my understanding is that he said that at the table to Sansa when she responded something like "I don't want someone kind and gentle and brave, I want Joffrey!")  I haven't reviewed the scene(s) yet (I have the first 5 seasons on disc), but I do intend to try to at least review the scene I mentioned where Arya is practincing balancing in the hallway so I can check Ned's exact words there (or am I confused, and you're saying Ned said something to Arya about Arya marrying a king in some other scene?)

Regarding Arya's personality:  I agree that it would be great to see more of what Arya's "heart desires," and I'm pretty confident we will soon now that she's back in Westeros (what you call the 3rd arc of her story, I believe).  i agree she will leave the Faceless Men in the books, she has to go back to Westeros.

Regarding Arya possibly meeting Lady Stoneheart:  Wow, I never even thought about that possibility!  What a wild scene that would be, seeing those two meet! (I'm definitely hoping to see the return of Nymeria soon, too)

Also regarding Arya:  Yeah, I think she's a great character, and in fact I think she's a great candidate for a main role in a GOT spin-off after the current run is done.  In fact, I've thought about a few possible spin-offs, and one of them I'd like to see would feature Arya and Lyanna Mormont quite a bit (including as friends who know each other well).  Any thoughts on that, or other possible spin-offs?  (You won't hurt my feelings if you say you don't like the Arya and Lyanna Mormont spin-off idea, some people have already said that, so I know there are other views out there. HAR!)

8 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I totally agree with you about that chapter with Arya and Gendry.

Now, Brienne and Jaime they definitely have feelings for each other in the books, they dream about each other and so on lol, but it might well be that one of them or both die before any of it can actually become a reality, which I think it is the most likely scenario but their arcs cross and they influence one another for sure.

Now Tyrion/Sansa too long a story for me to go on about it in this thread.  I personally think that this is the union that makes politically the more sense,  I personally think that the Sansa Sandor is a bit of a teenage infatuation and that his arc is linked to other stuff but i could be wrong.  I am just sort of convinced that George threw them together in that forced marriage for a reason but my theories are based on a lot of different stuff which I am sure will come up in more detail in other threads.  I am happy to discuss it but too long and out of topic in this thread though.

Good stuff about Brienne and Jaime and the dreams.  I had forgotten about that, but remembered when you mentioned it (I've read all the books twice, but the most recent reading was 5 years ago, so it's not all fresh in my mind)  If Jaime and Brienne end up together I certainly won't be upset (I think they are both very interesting characters maybe even in my top 5 favorite characters to read about, certainly top 10), but I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing it cuz I'm SO convinced Jaime is going to die.  I think he is NOT going to live happily ever after, he's going to die a tragic hero.

Sansa and Tyrion:  Great point about the political aspects of them ending up together, I don't think I was giving that enough consideration when thinking about them ending up together.  I have to admit that would go a long way to healing Westeros.

8 hours ago, Cron said:

Again, good stuff.   I could be wrong, but my memory is that Ned said she would marry a lord, but not necessarly a king (I assume we're talking about the scene when Arya was practicing her balancing and Ned stopped to talk to her, I think she told him about chasing cats, they talked about Arya's and Sansa's futures, Ned made the comment and Arya said something like "No, that's Sansa" and went back to balancing)

Regarding the "revenge" issue:  I realize Arya's psychology has been the subject of a LOT of discussion, but frankly I think of her more as the "hand of justice" than just a person obsessed with revenge, but maybe I'm unintentionally sugar coating it b/c she is so likable as a character otherwise.  But hey, that's the main beauty of GRRM's work, in my opinion, different opinions and perspectives on the characters.

Ned tells Arya she will marry a King and rule his Castle.

It's interesting grrm's description of Arya's physical reaction. Reminiscint of Cersei’s reaction to being told by Maggy that she will wed the King as well.

“Three questions may you ask,” [Maggy the Frog] said, once she’d had her drink. “You will not like my answers. Ask, or begone with you.”

Go, the dreaming queen thought, hold your tongue, and flee. But the girl did not have sense enough to be afraid.

“When will I wed the prince?” she asked.

“Never. You will wed the king.”

Beneath her golden curls, the girl’s face wrinkled up in puzzlement. - (Cersei, A Feast for Crows)

---

Arya cocked her head to one side. “Can I be a king’s councillor and build castles and become the High Septon?”

“You,” Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, “will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon.

Arya screwed up her face. - (Eddard, A Game of Thrones)

After breaking off the marriage to Joffery, Ned tells Sansa she will marry a Lord.

8 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

in the books Ned refers to a King whereas in the show IIRC he says she will marry a high lord. They changed the line. I am a Gendry Arya shipper too. I love their story in the books and I think they had chemistry in the show.

and I agree that she will go beyond the typical revenge arc.

12 hours ago, Scorpion92 said:

Thanks. There is a reason why the showrunners revealed Gendry's ancestry even though he does not know it yet in the books.

House Baratheon is officially wiped out, and Gendry is the only blood of this dynasty. And we are going to see Dany's invasion of Southern Westeros.

We need to see AT LEAST every major castle in every southern kingdom during Dany's invasion, which includes Storm's End and Casterly Rock. And the only anti-Cersei claimant of Storm's End is Gendry in the show. That is wht I believe he HAS to show up in Stormlands.

And besides, we have casting news of Storm's End. Which automatically should trigger "Baratheon" signs.

Interesting thoughts.

I didn't know about the casting news. Do you remember the source?

Archived