Rhaegar's body?

TheSeer27

Cremated after the battle, bodies recovered including his and no, Robert didn't give a crap about it and let a prince, a cousin, have a proper targ "funeral"... septons or maesters cremated him most likely, it's not an important scene to tell in the books because there was no one to make an eulogy or any comment, he died, he burned, the end

other theories are just that by now... theories... George has spoken on this quite truthfully

i think GRRM dis not give much thoughts to Rhaegar's body. This is not something important. Rhaegar is dead, and this is enough. 

But I agree Robert would likely attach his dead body to a pole and show it around as his winner flag. 

9 hours ago, TheSeer27 said:

Yes but WHO cremated it? What Targaryen loyalist dragged his dead body somewhere and burned it? I think its weird Robert would let Rhagaer's body just disappear after the fight. Wouldn't people want evidence hes dead? Also as much as Robert hated him I feel he would keep his body around for a while, or his ashes, as a symbol of his triumph. I don't know, I'm not saying hes still alive I just think the circumstances are strange.

The body didn't disappeared it was cremated. It isn't weird for Robert to actualy being decent with his body since he isn't either a Bolton or Walder Frey. Sinse GRRM had clearly said that he was cremated there is no reason to believe otherwise.

14 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

Any dead body, after a while, could be claimed to not be who we say they are. No DNA, dental records, etc.

Dunno, the semi-unique hair would still be there for quite a while.

44 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

The body didn't disappeared it was cremated. It isn't weird for Robert to actualy being decent with his body since he isn't either a Bolton or Walder Frey. Sinse GRRM had clearly said that he was cremated there is no reason to believe otherwise.

No reason, eh? Well, what about THIS?

19 hours ago, hitman47 said:

Rhaegar fake his death

YES YES YEEEEESS so good

makes perfect sense

2 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Not to mention that desecrating Rhaegar's body would unnecessarily piss the Targ loyalists, which would be politically unsavvy. Plus, even if Robert wanted to feed Rhaegar to the dogs, I don't see Ned allowing him such an extremes.

38 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Not to mention that desecrating Rhaegar's body would unnecessarily piss the Targ loyalists, which would be politically unsavvy. Plus, even if Robert wanted to feed Rhaegar to the dogs, I don't see Ned allowing him such an extremes.

I agree.  It was no secret that Robert hated all things Targaryen, but I believe he was smart enough to know that doing anything to the Targaryen corpses would be a slandering to the crown and not a very savvy political move (as you said). 

I wouldn't be surprised if Robert pissed on his ashes in private or something :o:P

2 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

makes perfect sense

If by perfect sense you mean no sense at all yes it does.

1 hour ago, Ygrain said:

Also true. However if he wanted to do that I don't believe that Ned would had been able to stop him.

44 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

I agree.  It was no secret that Robert hated all things Targaryen, but I believe he was smart enough to know that doing anything to the Targaryen corpses would be a slandering to the crown and not a very savvy political move (as you said). 

I wouldn't be surprised if Robert pissed on his ashes in private or something :o:P

Given the kind of hatred that Robert expressed for Rhaegar, fifteen years later, I'm surprised he didn't do something like nailing his head to his battle standard, and parading it before his army. 

" They had come together at the ford of the Trident while the battle crashed around them, Robert with his warhammer and his great antlered helm, the Targaryen prince armored all in black. On his breastplate was the three-headed dragon of his House, wrought all in rubies that flashed like fire in the sunlight. The waters of the Trident ran red around the hooves of their destriers as they circled and clashed, again and again, until at last a crushing blow from Robert's hammer stove in the dragon and the chest beneath it. When Ned had finally come on the scene, Rhaegar lay dead in the stream, while men of both armies scrabbled in the swirling waters for rubies knocked free of his armor. "

" Robert reached for the flagon and refilled his cup. "You see what she does to me, Ned." The king seated himself, cradling his wine cup. "My loving wife. The mother of my children." The rage was gone from him now; in his eyes Ned saw something sad and scared. "I should not have hit her. That was not … that was not kingly." He stared down at his hands, as if he did not quite know what they were. "I was always strong … no one could stand before me, no one. How do you fight someone if you can't hit them?" Confused, the king shook his head. "Rhaegar … Rhaegar won, damn him. I killed him, Ned, I drove the spike right through that black armor into his black heart, and he died at my feet. They made up songs about it. Yet somehow he still won. He has Lyanna now, and I have her." The king drained his cup. "

This was good enough for GRRM and is good enough for me.  The details of what was done with the body, by whom and when are less consequential than the details of how, where and when Rhaegar died.  GRRM gives us plenty on the latter but only a little on the former - he was cremated - as it is less important and he very probably did not expect Rhaegar's death to be treated as something suspicous by the reader.

16 hours ago, TheSeer27 said:

Yes but WHO cremated it? What Targaryen loyalist dragged his dead body somewhere and burned it? I think its weird Robert would let Rhagaer's body just disappear after the fight. Wouldn't people want evidence hes dead? Also as much as Robert hated him I feel he would keep his body around for a while, or his ashes, as a symbol of his triumph. I don't know, I'm not saying hes still alive I just think the circumstances are strange.

Tens out thousands of living people saw Rhaegar's dead body. I'd imagine most of the rebel host saw his body burned as well. 

He's dead and it's not suspicious at all

Ned saw Rhaegar dead on the water and noticed no desecration apart from the battle wounds, Robert killed him and moved on to kill more enemies because a dead man is only dead... No need to piss or spit on it, he's DEAD... hated family is still family, no need for parades

Archived