US elections - may the polls be ever in your favor

IheartIheartTesla

Has the issue of Trump loosing being a bigger problem than Trump winning been discussed yet?

I mean, he already has a bunch of people all riled up for action and has accused the system of being rigged. What are the chances of some kind of revolution against the elites occurring in America if he loses? How possible does this scenario feel to an American, on the ground in US? I'm just wonder ring from the outside, obviously.

Doubtful. Trump is giving voice to the rigged election talk, and that is problematic. But plenty of people on the right, and left for that matter, already believe elections are rigged when they lose. Nothing comes of it, and I doubt anything would this time either. For one, there's been no actual organizing done. Trump's supporters also promised 'days of rage' in Cleveland if the RNC tried anything to block the nomination; but there was no mass of supporters outside the convention hall that could've done it if the RNC had blocked Trump. It takes work to actually prepare for action.

The main problem with Trump talking like this is that it further delegitimizes a Clinton presidency among his supporters. Which means even if Clinton wins a blowout, 55-40-5 or something like that, Republicans would still be incentivized to claim she has no mandate and refuse to work with her on anything. So absolute gridlock would continue (although, if Clinton did win by 15 points, Democrats probably would have taken back the House; so there'd be two years for Democrats to try to address as many problems as they can).

So Trump and his supporters are fizzers - all bluff and bullshit - how disappointing.

Gridlocked governments seem par for the course in the West ATM. Society's are obviously disgruntled but not enough for any real change. It's all a bit like a slow motion train-wreck and I feel I'm too impatient for the speed it's moving at :)

17 minutes ago, ummester said:

So Trump and his supporters are fizzers - all bluff and bullshit - how disappointing.

Well, not really as where some of his events are there are, ahem, liberal gun laws which allow concealed and/or open carry of firearms.  Having a crowd smaller and not so pissed off isn't necessarily a bad thing...

I think the rigged election loses credence if Clinton goes into election night leading by 10% in all the polls. Maybe Trump's definition of "rigged" is that non-whites are getting a full vote rather than 2/3rds of a vote.

Oh geez.  Through no fault of her own, Hillary has handed Trump yet another golden egg as the Orlando nightclub murderer's father was in attendance at her Orlando rally.  This isn't a gold star family that Trump would be bashing here so he probably won't fuck it up as badly as he did in previous weeks, so I can see Hillary taking a temporary hit in the polls for this.  

23 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Oh geez.  Through no fault of her own, Hillary has handed Trump yet another golden egg as the Orlando nightclub murderer's father was in attendance at her Orlando rally.  This isn't a gold star family that Trump would be bashing here so he probably won't fuck it up as badly as he did in previous weeks, so I can see Hillary taking a temporary hit in the polls for this.  

I don't think so. He wasn't an invited guest, and the rally was a free, open event. An intern screwed up by putting him in the stands; but I'm certain the intern had no idea who he was (he probably had instructions to "find x number of minorities"). Clinton definitely had no idea he was there. Trump will probably try attacking her over it, but I don't think its the kind of issue that will get any traction except among people who are already Trump supporters.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

I don't think so. He wasn't an invited guest, and the rally was a free, open event. An intern screwed up by putting him in the stands; but I'm certain the intern had no idea who he was (he probably had instructions to "find x number of minorities"). Clinton definitely had no idea he was there. Trump will probably try attacking her over it, but I don't think its the kind of issue that will get any traction except among people who are already Trump supporters.

Yeah, it would have been worse if he had been turned away, methinks. I don't see how anyone outside of rabid Trump supporters are going to have a problem with this. 

56 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Maybe I am missing something? Did this father make statements supporting his son's actions that would make him persona non grata at a campaign event?

5 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

Maybe I am missing something? Did this father make statements supporting his son's actions that would make him persona non grata at a campaign event?

He hosts some oddball satellite TV show supporting the Taliban in Afghanistan that is reportedly filled with anti-US rhetoric, and also made the statement that God would punish gays in the afterlife (therefore - killing them in this life is not necessary). 

Guilt by association.

Talking about fathers and sons, and conspiracy theorist and other loons, any news on Cliven Bundy and his boys?
And has Trump's parody of a GOP campaign produced any new horrors or laughters? The last thing I saw was his GOP trickle down tax plan, which was too much for consvertaives economists. 

16 minutes ago, Notone said:

Guilt by association.

Talking about fathers and sons, and conspiracy theorist and other loons, any news on Cliven Bundy and his boys?
And has Trump's parody of a GOP campaign produced any new horrors or laughters? The last thing I saw was his GOP trickle down tax plan, which was too much for consvertaives economists. 

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you. 

Amusingly, it is the top story on the front page of Fox News... 

3 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

I think the rigged election loses credence if Clinton goes into election night leading by 10% in all the polls. Maybe Trump's definition of "rigged" is that non-whites are getting a full vote rather than 2/3rds of a vote.

Polls won't do anything to sway Trump supporters. I've already had a conversation on Facebook with some friends who are dead set of believing the polls have been rigged  

15 minutes ago, Notone said:

Guilt by association.

Maybe it's just me, but I was concerned over how little media attention this garnered at the time. I know the Iowa caucuses were coming up, but if we're talking about potential revolutions its people like Bundy I think are more likely to start something than Trump voters. 

17 minutes ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

Amusingly, it is the top story on the front page of Fox News... 

Well, the question is, how relevant will Fox News be. This election cycle has (at least to some degree) shown a disconnect between Fox News and its audience. During the primaries Fox tried to some extent to topple Trump, as a result their viewers called those hosts who spoke out too loudly against Trump RINOs (and Megyn Kelly by some other names). Now that he is on top of the ticket, they are good soldiers and fallen back in line again. So it is imo a somewhat legit question of how influential Fox News actually is. Are they creating opinions, or are they just reflecting/repeating their audiences' voice with much more volume? And their audience is somewhat limited, but powerful. Liberals don't watch it and probably neither do moderates. The RINOs used Fox for spreading the message and adjust it according to the base, who are very influential in the Republican Primaries. How that alliance will look like in the future is imo an open question. Fox needs to replace Aisles, and the RINOs look like to have a hard time reconciling with their base and Fox viewers. The RINOs will probably need to swallow their pride, just to get recognised when they are up for reelections to somehow minimize the risk of getting ousted in the primary seasons.

19 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Maybe it's just me, but I was concerned over how little media attention this garnered at the time. I know the Iowa caucuses were coming up, but if we're talking about potential revolutions its people like Bundy I think are more likely to start something than Trump voters. 

Well, it's not like the Bundy family is likely to vote Clinton. The Bundies are part of the GOP electorate. So I don't think the distincion between those wackos and Trump voters is that clear cut.  Talking about too little media coverage.

So Cliven and his boys are representing the official Republican party line, or the GOP now officially represents Cliven Bundy's position. Just their means to reach the goal of liberating the US from their National Parks differs, and probably the reasons why they want to do it.

I just want to say I would NEVER do something like that, but I've never felt an urge this strong (or at all) with any other candidate no matter how I felt about them.

ETA:

I live in deep red part of a blue state so sometimes it feels like I may as well be in a red state, but still I'm seeing less "Trump" signs than I did for Romney or McCain at this time in their respective election runs. But they are starting to sprout up here and there.

This made me laugh out loud, mainly because I have had a similar urge. (I also live in a very Red section of the same state as you).

There is a marquee I pass every day on the way to work that says “Vote Trump  Make America Great Again”  and I want so bad to stop and change it to “Racist” instead of  “Great” (I even looked to see how much the letters would cost) :rofl:

As for all the signs, blue duct tape with white paint marker, and “Great” becomes “Racist” making them now truthful as well.

But I know I’d never do anything like that, but it sure is a nice fantasy ;)

Archived