US elections - may the polls be ever in your favor

IheartIheartTesla

2 hours ago, The Wedge said:

Maybe I am missing something? Did this father make statements supporting his son's actions that would make him persona non grata at a campaign event?

As Nestor pointed out, this man has made some extremely questionable videos.  Beyond that, it's about appearances. A man who has made supportive statements about terrorists groups and whose son eventually became a terrorist sitting over Hillary's shoulder at an event in Orlando has tons of potential for picking up traction, especially if Trump is the one creating traction.  It's now been on the front page of several news sites, I've heard it on NPR at least twice.  Most are reporting that the campaign had no idea who this man was, but I'd assume Trump would use Hillary's believability problems to bring doubt to that.  

I mean, does anyone think Trump is going to bypass a chance to further trash Muslims and Hillary no matter how much he has to twist things?  The top news the past two days has been about Sen Collins coming out saying she won't vote for him, 50 GOP defense experts coming out against him, and general mockery of his economic plan fiascos.  I'd imagine he'd want to change the narrative, but perhaps he'll stick with 'Hillary's brain short-circuited' that he's been using this week.  

Actual Trump quote at his rally in North Carolina today...

“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folk; though the second amendment folks, maybe there is…”

The Secret Service can and will investigate elected officials for saying stuff like this; could they actually launch an investigation of a presidential candidate though?

Just now, Fez said:

The Secret Service can and will investigate elected officials for saying stuff like this; could they actually launch an investigation of a presidential candidate though?

Here's the video...

14 minutes ago, Fez said:

Somehow watching the video and seeing he actually used the word "people" instead of "folks" made it sound even more threatening to me. It made it much clearer that he wasn't just garbling a sentence about Clinton-appointed judges possibly ruling in favor of gun control. 

He will of course claim this was a joke and people who complain about it are just being "politically correct."

28 minutes ago, Fez said:

What would be the purpose of the investigation?  To determine if......  What, exactly?

1 minute ago, Swordfish said:

What would be the purpose of the investigation?  To determine if......  What, exactly?

Presumably mostly a warning to Trump that they take these comments seriously, even if he claims he was joking, and that he could be subject to prosecution if they determine X criteria is being met.

Same way most of their investigations go down. The lone nuts get actually investigated to see if they are plotting anything; the public figures get warned (since presumably they aren't actually plotting).

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Presumably mostly a warning to Trump that they take these comments seriously, even if he claims he was joking, and that he could be subject to prosecution if they determine X criteria is being met.

Same way most of their investigations go down. The lone nuts get actually investigated to see if they are plotting anything; the public figures get warned (since presumably they aren't actually plotting).

Seems unlikely they'd stick their nose into this and risk the appearance of political meddling.  

You'd be hard pressed to construe that as a credible threat, In fairness,  you'd be hard pressed to construe anything he says as credible, so.....

15 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Seems unlikely they'd stick their nose into this and risk the appearance of political meddling.  

You'd be hard pressed to construe that as a credible threat, In fairness,  you'd be hard pressed to construe anything he says as credible, so.....

Political meddling? It's their job to protect the lives of Presidents and presidential candidates. They protect Trump fercrissakes. How could this be construed as meddling? It's called "doing your job".

Donald Trump kinda-sort suggesting violence and assassination as a reasonable response to electoral defeat is not surprising -- neither for Trump nor the turd-storm of a political party he now represents. 

However, Newt Gingrich's comparison of Trump to Andrew Jackson now seems more fitting. So good for Newt Gingrich I guess.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Political meddling? It's their job to protect the lives of Presidents and presidential candidates. They protect Trump fercrissakes. How could this be construed as meddling? It's called "doing your job".

I'm talking about perceptions.

If you think Trump is a credible threat to be planning an assassination of the president based on that quote, then sure.  I'm not sure that's the place we are at, but YMMV.

It's another dumb, irresponsible thing said by a dumb, irresponsible candidate.  But it obviously doesn't rise to the level of a credible threat of assassination.

Archived