Makeup VI : SPFantastic

kairparavel

Ok ladies I need help. I've worn practically  no makeup all summer. And school is starting soon so I have to go back to work. I've kinda always wanted someone to show me how to put on makeup (lord knows my mom never did) but he one or two times I've gone for the free mini-makeover at the health fair at work (they have salons and spas come) I've left feeling like a clown and gone to wash my face immediately. Do I just walk up to the Sephora counter at the dept store and say "fix me?" or what? I'm strangely nervous about that.

2 hours ago, Whitestripe said:

Ok ladies I need help. I've worn practically  no makeup all summer. And school is starting soon so I have to go back to work. I've kinda always wanted someone to show me how to put on makeup (lord knows my mom never did) but he one or two times I've gone for the free mini-makeover at the health fair at work (they have salons and spas come) I've left feeling like a clown and gone to wash my face immediately. Do I just walk up to the Sephora counter at the dept store and say "fix me?" or what? I'm strangely nervous about that.

You can go to Sephora and they can work with you to get the look you want. I had it done once, and they used a lot of Bare Minerals products because I wanted something super natural looking. And then I went home with the starter kit and a few samples.

The Mac store hires legit makeup artists, and their foundations are the good shit (they have several types). Go there on a weekday when it's not busy and pretend you're looking at everything and only buy foundation (unless you wanna spend mad $, all their products are great quality), they'll put anything on you you want and help you find the right shade of foundation in the right coverage. Watch what brushes they use and how

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up not buying the lime green lipstick. BUT we discovered Elder Sister's DEAL CLOSER, which was in my collection. Yes, I actually brought extra lipstick on my trip so she and I could compare warpaint when I visited. Anyway, it's from Colourpop. And I also found a matte lipstick that looks fab on me (and is easy to use) from the same company. SWEET.

I also bought a BITE lipstick. It's the wrong season for the color (a fall-ish brick red), but I'll give it a proper whirl in, like, October. Right now I am ALL ABOUT the fuchsias.

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I ended up not buying the lime green lipstick. BUT we discovered Elder Sister's DEAL CLOSER, which was in my collection. Yes, I actually brought extra lipstick on my trip so she and I could compare warpaint when I visited. Anyway, it's from Colourpop. And I also found a matte lipstick that looks fab on me (and is easy to use) from the same company. SWEET.

I also bought a BITE lipstick. It's the wrong season for the color (a fall-ish brick red), but I'll give it a proper whirl in, like, October. Right now I am ALL ABOUT the fuchsias.

I'm so glad you posted this, because I can't remember the color that was so awesome.  What was it called???   We needs it, precious.

Ok, so what if I wanted something that was a bit like lipstick but not actually lipstick? Any suggestions?

I am completely out of the habit of wearing lipstick, but when I put on eye make up (not that often, maybe once a week) I can't help feeling my lips are a little washed out. I'd like something subtle, just a bit of colour to balance things out. 

If there are especially good lipsticks which can do this please recommend them (isn't there a range where you can get sheer versions of a colour? I'm blanking on the brand). Otherwise, maybe some kind of stick or crayon type product?

NB: not lip gloss though

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Ok, so what if I wanted something that was a bit like lipstick but not actually lipstick? Any suggestions?

I am completely out of the habit of wearing lipstick, but when I put on eye make up (not that often, maybe once a week) I can't help feeling my lips are a little washed out. I'd like something subtle, just a bit of colour to balance things out. 

If there are especially good lipsticks which can do this please recommend them (isn't there a range where you can get sheer versions of a colour? I'm blanking on the brand). Otherwise, maybe some kind of stick or crayon type product?

NB: not lip gloss though

Lipstick Queen has varying pigmentation in some of its colors. The Sinner vs Saints lipsticks.  

I will more often wear lip crayons over lipstick. The ones that are like a tinted balm. I haven't used Clinique Chubby Sticks in particular but a similar thing. 

Tinted lip balms are a good starting point. Lots of companies make decent versions, including drugstore brands like Maybelline and Revlon. For higher end, Clinique Chubby Sticks. Some colors are more sheer than others, which can make blind-buys a crapshoot. I know a lot of women who swear by these things.

All of this said, I've found that, as much as I prefer sheer colors for lips, I personally think tinted balms are the worst of both worlds because I'm not fond of the texture and they're not as moisturizing as they should be (especially in winter). Instead, I prefer something like a Mac lipstick in the Lustre finish (sheer to medium buildable coverage) over my regular very moisturizing lip salve. I will also recommend Medieval by Lipstick Queen. It's very sheer, has a wonderful formula, and gives your lips a wonderful subtle flush of color. http://www.lipstickqueen.com/medieval.html

And a swatch: http://karlasugar.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Medieval-and-Black-Medium.jpg

I can't get away from frosts/lustres/sheen type lipsticks.  And I'm addicted to "That Glo Tho", which is amazing over a lipstick.  It adds that 80's frost I can't seem to live without right now.  They've stopped making it in the stick form, and have said it's going to a liquid form.  I actually emailed them about it.  That's how much I love it.

I do love Mac lustre lipsticks.  The consistency and feel are exactly right.  And I'm still addicted to Loreal Sandstone...it's another fleshtone frost that's beautiful.

Ah yes, I was thinking of the Saints and Sinners range. 

I kind of agree about lip balm, for me it just slides off same as lip gloss. I'm after something more like a stain. 

I will check out the Mac lustre stuff too. 

Weirdly, my favourite lipstick ever was a frosted russety brown colour kinda like a Frosty Fox. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to buying some lipstick! I went in thinking I was going for a chubby stick thing but came out with this Clinique Matte + primer in Clove Pop. And then I got a bit carried away and bought three of these Revlon crayon things - they are half the price of the Clinique version and they are certainly working out well for me so far. They come in three different finishes. So far (haha) I have the Laquer Balm in Coy and the Matte Balm in Fiery and Fierce. :wub: The Laquer Balm is like a pale wash of colour with a bit of irridescence and the Matte is properly matte but without being cakey. What I like about the Matte finish especially is that you can continue rejuvenating it over the day by applying vaseline or whatever - the colour just seems to hang around for ages. It's awesome.

Oooh, those are gorgeous colors. And yeah, matte lipstick is great for some serious staying power -- mercifully the modern forumulations aren't generally as difficult to manage as they have been in the past. 

For reasons beyond my comprehension, I bought UD's Smoky palette yesterday. Not the first clue as to why, but yay?

Archived