Makeup VI : SPFantastic

kairparavel

I have that one and also the Naked Smoky (which is actually really good for both subtle and extreme looks). I find it way too tempting to go OTT with the Smoky. Not sure if that is good or bad. :)

13 hours ago, Isis said:

I have that one and also the Naked Smoky (which is actually really good for both subtle and extreme looks). I find it way too tempting to go OTT with the Smoky. Not sure if that is good or bad. :)

The Naked Smoky palette is the one I have. Didn't know there was another one!

Today I wore shadow from this palette from MAC because it is ridiculous and I love it: http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/13835/41784/products/makeup/eyes/eye-palettes-kits/eye-shadow-x-9-shes-a-model

I'm all over that teal! Sometimes I'm almost finished doing my make up and it's looking pretty subtle and I'll think, hmm, perhaps that's too subtle? What this really needs is a lot of emerald green or violet eyeliner.

The original Smoky is lots of DARKNESS (green, blue, red) and lots of SMOKE (silver, black, brown, charcoal). Love them both really. But probably use the Naked Smoky more as it is more versatile. <3

On 10/23/2016 at 10:44 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Bumping this for the annual What Is Your Favorite Winter Moisturizer discussion. I'm going to need to invest pretty soon and I'm curious what everyone uses. 

I tried out a sample of this

http://www.kiehls.com/ultra-facial-cream/622.html?cgid=face-moisturizers&dwvar_622_size=4.2 fl. oz. Jar#start=2&cgid=face-moisturizers

and this in the past two winters

http://m.sephora.com/product/P382354?skuId=1564715

I actually really liked them both, more so the Ceramidin, but the cost is a little cuckoopuffs.  I've been using Origins product for the past 6-8 months and really like them. 

On 11/7/2016 at 6:47 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I wish I could wear Naked 3, but it is way too warm/pink for my complexion.

Of course right now I'm sweating some of those UD Vintage XX shadows -- Gash in particular. I need a good fucked-up red in my repertoire.

There's a really good red in Vice I use all the time!

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Makeup can be confusing. My suggestion: Start with mascara and a tinted lip balm. We can provide you with tons of suggestions in the makeup thread, so join us there!!! My suggestion is to start by going to the grocery store and buying Maybelline Define-A-Lash mascara: https://www.maybelline.com/eye-makeup/mascara/define-a-lash-lengthening-washable-mascara Get it in black. This particular formulation is very easy to use (avoid anything that says it'll build volume for now, it's much harder to deal with), so you can practice. Once you're comfy wearing mascara and lip tint, then we can move on to things like eye shadow and eye liner. I'd save foundation or even tinted moisturizer until much later -- and don't just buy that yourself. Go to a department store with a few good brands (Bobbi Brown, NARS, MAC) and get one of the people there to match your skin to a foundation color. 

Very well, here I am. Do you know a source I can use for learning application? Or should I just use whatever YOUTUBE turns up? 

Further, perhaps you or someone here has some kind of insight as to what I should do with my hair. I hesitate to call it a mop at this point, it is simply... there. I don't know what to do with it, or how to get it to do something as simple as be straight. Every time I take a brush to it it just gets weirder.

My thanks again, of course.

When it comes to hair you need to be realistic about how much effort you're prepared to put in, ie  if your hair isn't naturally straight and if you can't be bothered to blow dry and/ or straighten your hair on a regular basis then choose a different style. Personally I cannot be bothered with a lot of hair styling so I have my wavy hair cut in a way that requires little effort to style. The best decision I ever made about my hair was to forget about having it straight. As soon as I just went along with what it wanted to do we got along much better. 

yeah, if you don't have naturally straight hair, it takes a TON of time/product investment to make it so. I just don't have the patience for that shit, so I work with my stylist to get a haircut at the desired length that will work with what I have. I have wavy-to-curly very thick and unruly hair. But I have made a pixie cut work, or an asymmetric bob, or longer lengths. If you're currently trying to grow it out, just be aware that there's the ugly phase that everyone goes though -- I'm in it right now and it's driving me craaaaaaaazy -- where you just have to kind of be resigned to looking weird. 

For application tips and ideas, I like Lisa Eldridge: http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/

For makeup, I'm very much a minimalist because I am lazy. I don't use foundation or tinted moisturizer except on special occasions. I rarely use eye shadow even though I own a fuckton of it. My everyday look is just black mascara and a bold lip (frequently a berry tone, but lately I've been all about the oxblood).

My friends and I adhere to a very simple rule: every makeup-wearing person should always have two lipsticks in the arsenal: a red, and The Deal Closer. The red is any red that you feel comfortable with. The Deal Closer is always some kind of pink -- it can be a brown pink or a dusty mauve or a straight-up pink. The key to the Deal Closer is that you can make out with someone while wearing it, and still not have it look jacked-up at the end. (this doesn't mean you should wear a nude -- if your lips aren't a little pink/flushed after making out with someone, you're doing it wrong. ;) )

ETA: I should make clear that the above strictures apply to those with light-to-medium skin. Obviously those lovely people with darker complexions should adapt the general rules to however best works for them. :)

I am seeking shampoo and conditioner recs. I have tried a range of products at a range of price points and still, I seek something better. I currently use Joico shampoo and conditioner and switch between daily care and moisturizing. I wash my hair daily and use a styling cream for heat protection and some oil on the ends but I would like to get out of the daily wash routine. I'm loathe to do it because of my super oily roots (and scalp?) Even with dry shampoo, I feel disgusting if I don't wash my hair daily. I probably need to ditch the moisturizing products and look for things that add volume, but traditionally I spend time in a humidity controlled environment that leaves my skin and hair often drier than the Sahara.

So if there's particular combinations of products, or co-washes or whatever, I'd like to hear it. 

15 hours ago, Sivin said:

Very well, here I am. Do you know a source I can use for learning application? Or should I just use whatever YOUTUBE turns up? 

Further, perhaps you or someone here has some kind of insight as to what I should do with my hair. I hesitate to call it a mop at this point, it is simply... there. I don't know what to do with it, or how to get it to do something as simple as be straight. Every time I take a brush to it it just gets weirder.

My thanks again, of course.

I brute force my way through most makeup application even with various youtube tutorials. However, they were helpful in showing me the errors of my ways for 35 years of trying to get my hair straight with a brush and hair dryer. This is the video I used I also have a windtunnel of a blowdryer. If you don't want to mess with all that, bumble&bumble makes a decent air dry cream

I will be reviewing the provided material with the same determination that saw me win the day while I programmed my GPS. Thank you both. I heard somewhere that using heat was bad for your hair. Is that true? I also heard that toweling it is bad, washing too much is bad, and the wrong shampoo/conditioner is bad. 

wrong shampoo/conditioner is mostly purely stylistic. you won't destroy your hair that way unless you use, oh, borax or some shit like that. It'll become apparent which shampoos/conditioners work best with your hair. A stylist can help you figure that out. Toweling your hair vigorously can be bad, especially if you have bleached/dyed it (that can make the hair fragile), so yeah, don't do that. Just squeeze the towel around your hair gently. And yes, heat can damage your hair as well, so go easy on the blow-drying, curling irons, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

wrong shampoo/conditioner is mostly purely stylistic. you won't destroy your hair that way unless you use, oh, borax or some shit like that. It'll become apparent which shampoos/conditioners work best with your hair. A stylist can help you figure that out. Toweling your hair vigorously can be bad, especially if you have bleached/dyed it (that can make the hair fragile), so yeah, don't do that. Just squeeze the towel around your hair gently. And yes, heat can damage your hair as well, so go easy on the blow-drying, curling irons, etc. 

Is it true that you're not supposed to shampoo/condition every day?

Whoops. I had forgotten to answer that one!

So, answer is generally "yes." You shouldn't be washing your hair every day. I usually wash mine every three days. If you ever start bleaching/dyeing your hair, you will definitely want to stick to a 3 or 4 day schedule, as it makes the dye last longer. But it really comes down to how oily your scalp is and what your tolerance for such things are. One way to wash every day or every other day is to only use conditioner (this is called a "co-wash") instead of shampoo and conditioner. I've never been a fan of it, but others swear by it. So, my only real advice is to experiment a bit. Wash your hair and then only rinse it with water the next day and see what happens. And give your scalp time to adjust before making a final determination. Winter is a great time to do this because you're not sweating all over the damned place all the time.

Archived