Makeup VI : SPFantastic

kairparavel

19 hours ago, Sivin said:

Is it true that you're not supposed to shampoo/condition every day?

@Sivin How funny I was having a debate with my flatmates (who washes his hair twice a day) about this question. I read an article earlier - http://www.businessinsider.com/how-often-should-i-wash-my-hair-2015-3.I personally wash my hair every 2 days but I think this depends majorly on your skin type and the environment u're living in. Having lived in both Asia's humid area and cold Northern America, I find the need for shampooing varies. Your hair gets greasy when glands in the skin produce an natural oily substance - sebum. It is what moistens hair and keeps it from drying out, so washing your hair too often may cause imbalanced production of oil in your scalp! 

Speaking of hair, I finally took the plunge on pink hair. I was worried that it wouldn't go over well at work (although I did verify that our dress code doesn't mention hair color, and it does not, it's very vague) but so far it hasn't been an issue. My client made a few jokes about it but mostly everyone either ignored it or complimented it. I did a pink ombre because I'm lazy (roots) and thought that it would be better for work (when I put it into a bun, it's still all brown with just a pink bun part and much less "in your face"). Now I'm thinking I should just go all the way! The downside is I am not at all a hair person, I am usually air dry and go, get a trim 1-2x a year, so the prospect of actually maintaining a hairstyle is kind of exhausting. It's been a bit over a month and I definitely need to refresh the pink, even with my careful cold water, infrequent washing. This was also the first time I've ever bleached my hair, and I'm worried about the damage. So far it seems okay, since my hair was virgin, but if I want to keep doing this, I imagine it will start to fray and I won't be able to maintain the length that I want.

19 hours ago, Starkess said:

Speaking of hair, I finally took the plunge on pink hair. I was worried that it wouldn't go over well at work (although I did verify that our dress code doesn't mention hair color, and it does not, it's very vague) but so far it hasn't been an issue. My client made a few jokes about it but mostly everyone either ignored it or complimented it. I did a pink ombre because I'm lazy (roots) and thought that it would be better for work (when I put it into a bun, it's still all brown with just a pink bun part and much less "in your face"). Now I'm thinking I should just go all the way! The downside is I am not at all a hair person, I am usually air dry and go, get a trim 1-2x a year, so the prospect of actually maintaining a hairstyle is kind of exhausting. It's been a bit over a month and I definitely need to refresh the pink, even with my careful cold water, infrequent washing. This was also the first time I've ever bleached my hair, and I'm worried about the damage. So far it seems okay, since my hair was virgin, but if I want to keep doing this, I imagine it will start to fray and I won't be able to maintain the length that I want.

Awesome. Just keep doing it until your hair gets noticably damaged/too stressful to maintain and then chop it off to a very short cut?

• 2 weeks later...

@Xray the Enforcer- I haven't tried Urban Decay lipsticks but @kairparavelrecommended Bite Beauty lipstick to me upthread and it is really lovely. Ordered it from Sephora.

I'm suffering from dry skin even without being in Canadian Siberia, and can't spring for a facial right now. Any suggestions as to cheap skin rehydration? Drinking more water and getting more sleep & exercise would probably also help. 

19 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Can anyone vouch for Urban Decay lipstick? I'm eyeing a few of them, but am curious as to texture and ease of use. Specifically looking at sheers and creams -- I have a lot of matte lipstick and I don't need any more.

Prior to their rebranding they were the best lipsticks ever made.  They had a magnificent selection of metallic colors that made me look like a BEAST.  Post rebranding they're a whole different breed.  They're fine.  Pretty long wear, nice texture and decent smell.  The color palate doesn't suit me well, so I don't ever have more than one of them.

EDIT:

OMG I just googled UD for my old favorite color and it looks like they are reproducing it.  They have a "Vintage Capsule Collection" of the old colors.  (spends all the money).  CLICK THIS LINK AT RISK TO YOUR WALLET.

Dammit X-Ray.

22 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

How fussy is your skin? Because you can make quick face masks out of yogurt and olive oil and honey that are supposed to be really good for dry skin. I've never tried it because my skin is an angry and vengeful jerk.

Was going to say this. I am bad at exfoliating at home. I get told off by beauticians for doing too much or too little. I now do a weekly scrub with sugar and honey (caster sugar plus enough honey to make a paste).

For soothing your skin try oatmeal and milk, you can do a scrub with it but then leave it on as a facepack afterwards. 

You could use oil on super dry patches but I find if your skin is dry it's just not that useful. I use 8 hr cream to repair flaky patches. And just keep slathering on your normal moisturiser. 

19 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Prior to their rebranding they were the best lipsticks ever made.  They had a magnificent selection of metallic colors that made me look like a BEAST.  Post rebranding they're a whole different breed.  They're fine.  Pretty long wear, nice texture and decent smell.  The color palate doesn't suit me well, so I don't ever have more than one of them.

EDIT:

OMG I just googled UD for my old favorite color and it looks like they are reproducing it.  They have a "Vintage Capsule Collection" of the old colors.  (spends all the money).  CLICK THIS LINK AT RISK TO YOUR WALLET.

Dammit X-Ray.

which color was your favorite?

13 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

which color was your favorite?

Roach.  Of course. It's very dark.  I bought three tubes.

If you can wear Revlon's "Blackberry", then "Roach" is  a great color in a metallic brown of that depth and darkness.  It literally looks like a palmetto bug's wings.  Smog is nice too, but much lighter.  They didn't rebrand any of the creme pinks or reds I used to wear.  The sheer lipsticks from this line wear more like a gloss.  I don't like it myself.  It DOES wear off very naturally, so if you have a "chipped lipstick" problem with mattes, you might like it.   If "Blackberry" is too dark for you, then "Bruise" might be really good for a dark purple. 

Archived