If you were king/queen,who would be your dream small council?

superninja76

Hello!

It's superninja76 again,and i've decided to make another thread.

If you were king/queen of westeros,who would be in your ideal small council?

For me,it would be

Hand of the King: Tywin Lannister

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Barristan Selmy

Master of Coin: Illyrio Mopatis

Master of Laws: Stannis Baratheon (DUH)

Master of Whisperers: Varys

Master of Ships: (Fuck it,time travel.) Corlys Velaryon

Grand Maester: Aemon Targaryen

Also,it would have several advisors.

Margaery Tyrell,Eddard Stark,and Davos Seaworth.

Hand of the King: Tyrion Lannister

Lord Commander: Jaime Lannister

Master of Coin: Olenna Tyrell

Master of Laws: Brienne of Tarth

Master of Ships: Davos Seaworth

Master of Whispers: Lord Varys

Lord Commander: Brienne of Tarth

Master of Coin: this is a hard one.. Eddard Stark if he was still alive maybe... Tyrion did a good job but he is wanted elsewhere lol - now Eddard might not have been shrewd enough in times when borrowing was needed - if he were alive definitely Tywin Lannister

Master of Laws: we need someone just but flexible which Stannis certainly is not, Eddard not too much either, let's see... crazy as it sounds I am going to go for Jon Snow.  He has had some experience making difficult decisions and he chose to include the wildlings despite well the price he paid for it.  It would probably be a great mistake on my part to appoint Jon but I think after his struggles his sense of what is fair and what is needed might just be about okay

Master of Whispers: Lord Varys but I would need someone checking upon him... Oleanna Tyrell???  Hang on, it was staring at me in the face and almost missed it - Lord Varys the official one - Arya Stark the unofficial one checking his movements

Grand Maester: Aemon Targaryen and when he is trained Samwell Tarly

If I am Robert in 297 AC:

Hand: Tywin Lannister

Ships: Paxter Redwyne

Laws: Doran Martell (Oberyn can represent him)

Coin: Kevan Lannister

LC: Barristan Selmy

Whispers: Renly Baratheon

GM: Cressen

Advisors: Stannis, Brynden Tully, Jon Aryn and Eddard Stark.

I would also change KG and replace Blount and Trant with Loras and Guyard Morigen.

26 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Lord Commander: Brienne of Tarth

Master of Coin: this is a hard one.. Eddard Stark if he was still alive maybe... Tyrion did a good job but he is wanted elsewhere lol - now Eddard might not have been shrewd enough in times when borrowing was needed - if he were alive definitely Tywin Lannister

Master of Laws: we need someone just but flexible which Stannis certainly is not, Eddard not too much either, let's see... crazy as it sounds I am going to go for Jon Snow.  He has had some experience making difficult decisions and he chose to include the wildlings despite well the price he paid for it.  It would probably be a great mistake on my part to appoint Jon but I think after his struggles his sense of what is fair and what is needed might just be about okay

Master of Whispers: Lord Varys but I would need someone checking upon him... Oleanna Tyrell???  Hang on, it was staring at me in the face and almost missed it - Lord Varys the official one - Arya Stark the unofficial one checking his movements

Grand Maester: Aemon Targaryen and when he is trained Samwell Tarly

I was about to write exactly like you! :P then I changed it a bit but the thinking was the same.

5 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Being the King or Queenn is overrated, being the consort is much more interesting. That way you don't have the responsibilities of ruling and you can spend your time making friends and conspiring.

True; maybe we should do another poll on which pairings could do this best.  I am inclined to think that it is looking as if the kingdoms are being separated from the main rule in Kings Landing right now though which would give scope for various parings as monarch and consort.  Sansa/Tyrion is one of my favourite potential power couples probably for the Westerlands.  Jon for the North (partner undecided) Lyanna Mormont (as in the show) would be interesting when she is grown up.  Dorne?  hell... the only sane one seems to be the current ruler and he is probably getting the chop.  Stormlands, Gendry and Arya???  Brienne and Jaime somewhere but I can't see them both surviving at all.  Vale is another one I cannot figure anyone for but Myranda Royce could make someone an interesting consort I guess.  No, this ain't working folks (my own idea lol)  too many places where there is no clear ruler that we know of as possible end game.

Hand of the King: Tywin Lannister

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Ser Jaime Lannister

Master of Coin: Olenna Tyrell

Master of Laws: Normally Stannis, but he's needed as Master of ships, so Ned Stark

Master of Whisperers: Qyburn, Varys is too disloyal

Master of Ships: Stannis

Just taking characters who are alive at the start of the story:

Hand: Tywin Lannister

Ships: Rodrick "The Reader" Harlaw

Laws: Randyll Tarly

Coin: Wyman Manderly 

Whispers: Oberyn "The Red Viper" Martell

Grand Maester: Marwyn the Mage after Aemon dies

Lord Commander: Barristan Selmy

Advisors: Brynden Tully, Stannis Baratheon, Paxter Redwyne

I wouldn't have thought this, but my "Dream Team" is extremely Targ heavy:

Hand: Viserys II Targaryen - Basically heald the realm together during the reign of three kings of questionable ability before his own short reign.

Ships: Corlys Velaryon - duh

Laws: Aegon V Targaryen - A reformer who actually thought about the smallfolk.

Coin: Elaena Targaryen - She was a great Master of Coin, even if unofficially.

Whispers: Brynden Rivers - duh

Lord Commander: Prince Aemon the Dragonknight - duh

Grand Maester: Maester Aemon - again duh

Wow, I stand corrected.  I thought my small council would be Targ-heavy, it turns out it was entirely Targ.  Although, I did include a woman, a Velaryon and a Bastard.

10 hours ago, dariopatke said:

Robert after the rebellion

If I was Robert I would try my out most to remove any trace of the Targs. Id move the capital city to the Stormlands (Baratheon strong hold, a stronger fort and more allies there) and divide the crownlands and dragonstone regions in two regions of near equal lands and give them to Renly (when he comes to age) and Stannis. (KL will be capital to one region and that would be Stannis's territory, Renly will get dragon stone and some lands in the crownlands, however Id give Stannis alot of say in terms of choosing). I would fill the small council with my allies however Ill make sure that they are of near similar rank and from different lands to avoid ganging up together.

Mine would be

Hand: Hoster Tully
Ships: Stannis Baratheon
Law:   Jon Arryn
Coin:  Tywin Lannister
KG:    Barristan Selmy
Whispers: Roose Bolton (a Northerner in the small council is a must)

Cupbearer: Renly Baratheon (who will be replaced by Jon Snow in latter time)

I also change the way the KG operates. People can be made to retire once they grow old and children can be raised to become KG. Until those children come to age others can fill the role temporarily without losing their rights to lands etc.They will also be paid handsomely for their service to the crown.

My Kingsguard

LC: Barristan Selmy
KG1: Brynden Tully 
KG2: Benjen Stark
KG3: Sandor Clegane (replacement of Jamie Lannister)
KG4: Mandon Moore
KG5: Gerion Lannister
KG6:Temp - Greatjon Umber (until Jon Snow comes to age)
KG7: Vardis Egen

• 1 year later...

Hand of the Queen: Tyrion Lannister

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Ser Barristan Selmy

Master of Coin: Stannis Baratheon, he'll keep a true and fair accounting

Master of Laws: Eddard Stark, justice should be tempered with mercy 

Master of Whisperers: Varys

Master of Ships: Ser Davos Seaworth

• 5 months later...
On 8/11/2016 at 9:43 AM, PrinceHenryris said:

I wouldn't have thought this, but my "Dream Team" is extremely Targ heavy:

Hand: Viserys II Targaryen - Basically heald the realm together during the reign of three kings of questionable ability before his own short reign.

Ships: Corlys Velaryon - duh

Laws: Aegon V Targaryen - A reformer who actually thought about the smallfolk.

Coin: Elaena Targaryen - She was a great Master of Coin, even if unofficially.

Whispers: Brynden Rivers - duh

Lord Commander: Prince Aemon the Dragonknight - duh

Grand Maester: Maester Aemon - again duh

Wow, I stand corrected.  I thought my small council would be Targ-heavy, it turns out it was entirely Targ.  Although, I did include a woman, a Velaryon and a Bastard.

I've been reading AWOIAF again and was beginning to type up why Viserys would have been my hand, then noticed that your small council is exactly what mine would have been. The only thing I might change would be Alyn Velaryon as Master of Ships, though his 'grandfather' would still be my first choice. 

I think a combination of Viserys II and Aegon V would be interesting, as both seemed to want to bring about reforms. And with 'one thousand eyes & one' as the Master of Whisperers, any dissenting lords would think twice about attempting to defy or sabotage them. 

Archived