Video Games: No Man's Pie

Werthead

Oh gods, I started playing WoW again. The end is nigh!

I had last played it for a little bit right when Catacylsm came out, but the last time I seriously played was during the Burning Crusade. So its been a while, and the game really has changed a lot. I don't mind most of the changes that simplify stuff; a lot of that was just trimming options that no one used and giving everyone by default the character build things that everyone did. I do mind that the game seems way too easy now. I'm not at max level yet (haven't bought legion so I don't have the free character boost) so maybe its only the leveling process thats been eased so much; but it seems excessive.

44 minutes ago, Fez said:

I had last played it for a little bit right when Catacylsm came out, but the last time I seriously played was during the Burning Crusade. So its been a while, and the game really has changed a lot. I don't mind most of the changes that simplify stuff; a lot of that was just trimming options that no one used and giving everyone by default the character build things that everyone did. I do mind that the game seems way too easy now. I'm not at max level yet (haven't bought legion so I don't have the free character boost) so maybe its only the leveling process thats been eased so much; but it seems excessive.

In what way is it easier? I haven't played in years, but have a lot of nostalgia for it, even if I never got very far (was very concerned about it being a time drain) 

16 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

In what way is it easier? I haven't played in years, but have a lot of nostalgia for it, even if I never got very far (was very concerned about it being a time drain) 

Two main ways (again, I'm only talking about while leveling; its my understanding that things are still mostly the way they were at max level):

1) There's been some combination of increased player stats and decreased enemy stats. Almost every regular enemy dies in 1 or 2 hits and elite enemies in 3 or 4 hits at your level. Many of the classes can now solo the dungeons at their own levels. I've heard that a lot the old raids have had their mechanics changed so that most classes can also solo them as well once they've out-leveled them a bit.

2) The grind is much smaller for most aspects of the game. Leveling flies by, gold costs for things are much lower (and most reputation requirements seem to be gone), traveling is much easier (e.g. the capitals now just have portals to the old expansions' zones), etc. 

Even more than it used to be, the game seems to be designed to get players as quickly and painlessly as possible to max level, so they can play 'the real game.' I know a lot of MMOs have always been like that, including WoW, but it seems far more extreme than it used to be. I'm sure long-time players leveling alts appreciate it, and I certainly liked rushing through the content that hasn't changed since the last time I played (especially when it directly contradicts the current setting; e.g. none of the dialog in Outland has updated since it was released and the situation in Azeroth is very different from what they all say). But I'm about to get to the stuff I never saw before, and I wouldn't have minded spending a bit more time there.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Yeah, they made the leveling, well, pretty brain dead honestly. It's extremely easy now. Hell, with a few heirlooms tanks can easily solo at-level dungeons. To their credit, Blizzard has admitted leveling is broken, and they're looking at solutions... eventually. One of those is maybe allowing leveling zones to scale to your level, instead of being fixed levels. So long as they keep it optional, this could be a bit of a fix.

That said, I don't mind that the leveling grind is faster. Even if you include the Cata revamp, most of the leveling content is 6-7 years old by now, 10 in the case of Burning Crusade. At this point a vanilla-esque leveling speed would be a total chore. Only thing I would really change is making dungeons harder.

I also found out that patch 7.1, to be released shortly after Legion, will include a Return to Karazhan 5 man dungeon with 9 bosses. Which is really cool, especially since this time around they won't pull a Zul'Aman and the old raid stays in place.

Must be difficult for them because I highly doubt they get many new players, and those levelling must have done those levels many times before, so taking the grind out of the game makes sense. Having said that, as someone who never reached max level I think its a bit of a shame, there was a sense of achievement about levelling up, and beating a boss in a raid when you are lower level.

On 8/16/2016 at 8:03 AM, Rhom said:

Park your Lock in one of the Invasion Zones.  They last 3 hours and there are two active at any one time.  Dun Morogh, Westfall, and Hillsbrad in Eastern Kingdoms.  Azshara, Tanaris, and Northern Barrens in Kalimdor.

The mobs scale to your level, so you can help if you'd like, but even if you just cross over into the zone you will get XP and two chests with blue weapons/armor.

As I said above, had a shammy that has been level 50 for 8 years now... Because of this event, I have afk'd him up to level 66 in two days.

On average, seems to take 20 minutes or so per event.

As to Legion being Orc heavy, Gul'Dan features prominently early on, but all the mobs I've seen in the DH starter area are demons and likewise the Broken Shores scenario and the Invasions.

Did this and it took a little over an hour to hit 60 on the warlock.  It only took that long because at 59 I couldn't fly anywhere and getting to the invasion areas took longer.  I will likely boost this warlock soon but I want to be sure so I'll wait a while longer.

Confirmed: in the new Prey, you will be able to transform into a mug and roll through small caps because science.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

BioWare to release Jade Empire on iOS.

I've never played the game.  I will consider it, but I find that I prefer my iOS RPGs to be more turn based.  Seems to better fit my mobile habits. 

I really like Jade Empire. Of BioWare's three original franchises, it's the one I enjoyed the most and I think they should really revisit it. Also, a very solid late-game twist, not as brilliant as KotOR's but not far off.

It's worth playing just for the bit where John Cleese shows up and rips the shit out of WarCraft.

1 minute ago, Guess who's back said:

What's the deal with Blizzard banning saying "gg ez" in Overwatch? If anything this will force me to abuse this and use similar sentences after every match. Well played Bliz, well played. 

Well, it is pretty annoying when people say 'gg ez' when it was anything but 'ez', and that includes when its my own teammates. And if it was actually 'ez' than it almost certainly wasn't actually a 'gg.'

I never got the point of it. Just be polite and say 'gg,' don't be smug.

Hopefully Blizzard was creative in picking up everything similar enough to it that they all get changed too and there's no consensus on what to say and most people have no idea what people are trying to communicate.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Reviews for the new Deus Ex are rolling out today and are generally in the 8-9 range.  Looking forward to trying it out myself next week.

Pre-ordered. I don't usually do that, but being able to pre-load (you can do that now) is a bonus and the last game was so damn good this warrants it.

5 hours ago, Guess who's back said:

What's the deal with Blizzard banning saying "gg ez" in Overwatch? If anything this will force me to abuse this and use similar sentences after every match. Well played Bliz, well played. 

It's a dickish thing to say.  I should know because, as a pretty amazing TF2 player and an accomplished asshole, I often say "tf2ez" after matches.

I do agree that trying to outlaw being a dick is a fool's endeavor, though.  People will simply find other ways to be a cunt.

9 hours ago, Fez said:

Well, it is pretty annoying when people say 'gg ez' when it was anything but 'ez', and that includes when its my own teammates. And if it was actually 'ez' than it almost certainly wasn't actually a 'gg.'

I never got the point of it. Just be polite and say 'gg,' don't be smug.

Hopefully Blizzard was creative in picking up everything similar enough to it that they all get changed too and there's no consensus on what to say and most people have no idea what people are trying to communicate.

Its no use. They'll find out what is allowed and not after a few tries and its business as usual. Word filters are too easy to work around.

And yeah, 'gg' and 'ez' are contradictory. Easy games feel more of a chore than fun and really aren't "good". It just feels like I'm wasting my time. 

14 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Its no use. They'll find out what is allowed and not after a few tries and its business as usual. Word filters are too easy to work around.

And yeah, 'gg' and 'ez' are contradictory. Easy games feel more of a chore than fun and really aren't "good". It just feels like I'm wasting my time. 

I don't think they're honestly trying to ban it so much as poke fun at people who type shit like that.  I mean, one of the things it word-filters to is "I'm wrestling with some insecurity issues right now, but thank you all for playing with me."  Its pretty clearly a joke rather than an honest attempt to force good manners on people. 

5 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

The Blizzard thing is funny as heck.  I love it, you get what you give.  You decide to troll a little bit and you get trolled back.  

Yeah, Blizzard isn't afraid of trolling their fanbase a bit from time to time. Considering how petulant and whiny parts of said fanbase are, it's fully justified if you ask me.

On 8/16/2016 at 5:33 PM, Werthead said:

It looks like the entire Mass Effect Trilogy is going to be remastered.

Normally I'd say it's unnecessary - ME2 and 3 look pretty good still - but ME1 is in dire need of updating. It doesn't work without some fiddling on PC, the controls, UI and shooting are a bit ropey compared to the later two games and the ELEVATORS OF LOADING AND EXPOSITION need to be amended, quickly.

I kinda liked the elevators... 

On 8/18/2016 at 7:35 AM, Werthead said:

Medieval II also had by far the best expansion (Kingdoms is basically four large expansions rolled into one) and of course the best mods, by far. The mods for the later game are really nothing more than fiddling around the margins since CA locked out the really cool stuff.

I suspect we'll see it - I mea, you can play it right now - but it's going to fall far short of Chris Roberts's promises and probably be just meh (shades of Freelancer all over again). There's also the prospect of major legal shitstorms with the pricing model.

I have little interest in SC itself, but I'm really hoping that Squadron 42 gets off the ground and is really good. Erin Roberts is actually a really good game designer and doesn't have his brother's tendency to over-promise and under-deliver.

Wow, I completely missed the last few posts on this page. That gives me a sad face, Wert. But I can't say I'm surprised. 

Meanwhile, I've spent even more time than usual at work clicking from one chart to another while brooding on my current Attila playthrough. A bit of luck and good playing on my part as the ERE has left the Visigoths and Alans both destroyed with minimal damage to my northern provinces, and a nice foray into the wilds by the Emperor and a good general left me with strong alliances with the Huns and half a dozen barbarian factions north of me and around the black Sea. Even the Ostrogoths have safely moved on to harass my doomed cousin in the west. 

I put down an uprising in Africa surprisingly quickly, the Emperor had scarcely arrived on the continent with my best army when peace was made. And not a moment too soon to be honest, as the Sassanids chose the very next turn to declare war. It took them a lot longer than normal, and I was bankrupting the empire with my massive garrisons in Palestinea and Asia. But of course that's where I had to leave it yesterday and I'm glad to have tomorrow off to play. I meant to see how quickly I could go extinct as the WRE on Legendary, but this has been a very fun playthrough with my beloved Byzantine on Very Hard so far. I'm using a few unit mods that are pretty fun and a unit stance mod that adds a lot to the map.

15 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

The Blizzard thing is funny as heck.  I love it, you get what you give.  You decide to troll a little bit and you get trolled back.  

You know whats not funny? Blizzard catering to the babies that actually feel offended by this. How about you grow a ticker skin and not get offended by a meaningless sentence on the internet? GG EZ is neither over the top offensive or bad.

2 minutes ago, Guess who's back said:

You know whats not funny? Blizzard catering to the babies that actually feel offended by this. How about you grow a ticker skin and not get offended by a meaningless sentence on the internet? GG EZ is neither over the top offensive or bad.

Oh please, the only use for "GG EZ" is to be offensive. It reflects more on the people using it than the people getting offended by it. How about you grow a thicker skin and deal as well as you dish? Pathetic.

Archived