Video Games: No Man's Pie

Werthead

3 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Oh please, the only use for "GG EZ" is to be offensive. It reflects more on the people using it than the people getting offended by it. How about you grow a thicker skin and deal as well as you dish? Pathetic.

You know why I started to use GG EZ regularly? Because people constantly complaining about it on forums and reddit. It's hilarious. I cant think of a single more thin skinned community than overwatch. It's like these people have never used internet or played competitive game in their life. In dota/csgo no one complains about it. And there we have it way, way, way fucking worse than ggez.

10 minutes ago, Guess who's back said:

You know why I started to use GG EZ regularly? Because people constantly complaining about it on forums and reddit. It's hilarious. I cant think of a single more thin skinned community than overwatch. It's like these people have never used internet or played competitive game in their life. In dota/csgo no one complains about it. And there we have it way, way, way fucking worse than ggez.

I'm pretty sure its the exact same people playing all these games, and DOTA in particular is well known as having a toxic community. Must be nice living in your bubble. Try and justify it all you want, it just shows how petty and shallow you are. 

8 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I'm pretty sure its the exact same people playing all these games, and DOTA in particular is well known as having a toxic community. Must be nice living in your bubble. Try and justify it all you want, it just shows how petty and shallow you are. 

Lol, grow a pair. Must be nice living in your safe space. You really cant understand how funny is it to me to see people getting triggered by something as meaningless as ggez. How do you people even function in real life? If someone says something mean to you, are you just going to lay down and rot?

I'm against things like "kill yourself" and being racist or over the top personal and offensive. But you cant put ggez in the same category. 

I'm not bothered by it. I just think it reflects poorly on the person saying it. Instead of making it about how people react to taunts and insults, why don't you explain the part about the people making them? Its funny? How? And I don't see how different degrees of offensiveness aren't in the same category.

Your poor attempt at a strawman deflection is just sad. You know what happens "in real life"? People talk back, they argue and in general create a negative atmosphere to be in. Its not that much different from in game, in fact, its even easier to ignore people in game because they aren't in your face. I just don't see the point in making people unhappy. 

I'm pretty sure its the exact same people playing all these games,

Not exactly. Overwatch seems to have done the traditional Blizzard thing of taking a pretty niche genre and taking it to the masses through accessibility. It's what they do. Although there are some hardcore veterans of other competitive games in there, I wouldn't be surprised if the overwhelming majority were people who'd never touched a competitive shooter before (maybe beyond a few casual games of CoD multi or something).

So I was playing WoW yesterday and I've been in Northrend the past couple days (which, sidenote, is so much better designed and more interesting than Outland; I reached Outland twice back in 2007 and once in 2010 and never got past it. I only did this time because of how quickly you can power through it now), and then all of a sudden I get a 5 minute long in-game engine cutscene. I had no idea that was even a thing WoW had; was that something that started with Wrath? Are there are a lot of them?

It had been after a pretty long, lore-important questchain, so it was certainly a cool thing to get; far moreso than loot that I'll level out of after a couple hours. Unfortunately, it seems that questchain used to keep going long past that cutscene, but back in the old world, and with the changes Cataclysm brought the rest was removed. Still, I didn't know that at the time, and it doesn't change how cool and unexpected it was when all of a sudden the scene started.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

So I was playing WoW yesterday and I've been in Northrend the past couple days (which, sidenote, is so much better designed and more interesting than Outland; I reached Outland twice back in 2007 and once in 2010 and never got past it. I only did this time because of how quickly you can power through it now), and then all of a sudden I get a 5 minute long in-game engine cutscene. I had no idea that was even a thing WoW had; was that something that started with Wrath? Are there are a lot of them?

It had been after a pretty long, lore-important questchain, so it was certainly a cool thing to get; far moreso than loot that I'll level out of after a couple hours. Unfortunately, it seems that questchain used to keep going long past that cutscene, but back in the old world, and with the changes Cataclysm brought the rest was removed. Still, I didn't know that at the time, and it doesn't change how cool and unexpected it was when all of a sudden the scene started.

You're probably talking about the Wrathgate questline, when the Forsaken rebels unleash their plagues on everyone. Yeah, to this day it's still among the game's best cutscenes, and there was indeed a follow-up that ended with Horde and Alliance forces battling those Forsaken rebels in the Undercity until they kill Putress and Varimathras. It was pretty cool, but I think they did indeed remove it at the end of WOTLK.

Cutscenes have indeed been a thing since then. Cata doesn't have that many of them, but Mists and Warlords do, and Legion already has a couple very cool ones in the pre-patch event. Each major patch also usually comes with an in-engine cutscene that you can see on Youtube or the official site (sadly not in the game itself). The Patch 3.3 and Patch 5.4 ones are easily the best.

By the way, in case you want to level fast, the Invasion events are incredibly lucrative XP wise. You can easily gain 2+ levels per invasion if you participate in the kill of big mobs. Of course, I wouldn't recommend it if it's your first time leveling through Cata onwards, however, you miss out on lots of lore and gear if you don't have heirlooms.

2 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

You're probably talking about the Wrathgate questline, when the Forsaken rebels unleash their plagues on everyone. Yeah, to this day it's still among the game's best cutscenes, and there was indeed a follow-up that ended with Horde and Alliance forces battling those Forsaken rebels in the Undercity until they kill Putress and Varimathras. It was pretty cool, but I think they did indeed remove it at the end of WOTLK.

Cutscenes have indeed been a thing since then. Cata doesn't have that many of them, but Mists and Warlords do, and Legion already has a couple very cool ones in the pre-patch event. Each major patch also usually comes with an in-engine cutscene that you can see on Youtube or the official site (sadly not in the game itself). The Patch 3.3 and Patch 5.4 ones are easily the best.

By the way, in case you want to level fast, the Invasion events are incredibly lucrative XP wise. You can easily gain 2+ levels per invasion if you participate in the kill of big mobs. Of course, I wouldn't recommend it if it's your first time leveling through Cata onwards, however, you miss out on lots of lore and gear if you don't have heirlooms.

Yep. That's the one. The questchain started innocuously too, it makes me wonder if I've missed any other really cool things by skipping some quests. I'm being pretty thorough in Northrend though, since the Scourge is my favorite part of the Warcraft lore, so I'm hoping I'll get all the important story beats here at least.

I'm gonna level this character (Alliance) the old fashioned way, since I'm entirely doing content I haven't seen before. I'll probably want another character leveled, so I can see the Horde's Legion content, but I could just use the expac's free booster on them. And having two characters is enough for me. I get very attached to my characters, in all games, and don't like using alts much.

Maybe at some point I'll at least level some other characters up to the 50s to see the various low level Cata content (I have a Death Knight right now; which it feels like is the only path you can go where the timeline still makes sense; since you skip see all the 1-60 content that takes place after Outland and Northrend).

You could play through TBC and WotLK content and then play a Pandaran Monk through old world Cata content up to 60 then go back to your main and play the "new" Cata content that starts in Vashjir and level your way up.

I'm working on the Loremaster Achievement.  I have it for Outland, Northrend, and Draenor.  I'm missing one zone for Cata (Uldum) and three for Pandaria.

But then the real slog begins of cleaning up Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Not exactly. Overwatch seems to have done the traditional Blizzard thing of taking a pretty niche genre and taking it to the masses through accessibility. It's what they do. Although there are some hardcore veterans of other competitive games in there, I wouldn't be surprised if the overwhelming majority were people who'd never touched a competitive shooter before (maybe beyond a few casual games of CoD multi or something).

Maybe. But DOTA and CS don't get their massive player counts by not having loads of casual players. Just because the game has a competitive scene doesn't mean that the game is only for the hardcore players. Is casual CS really that different from CoD? CS has a lower price tag going for it, and DOTA is free as far as I know.

13 hours ago, Guess who's back said:

You know whats not funny? Blizzard catering to the babies that actually feel offended by this. How about you grow a ticker skin and not get offended by a meaningless sentence on the internet? GG EZ is neither over the top offensive or bad.

13 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Oh please, the only use for "GG EZ" is to be offensive. It reflects more on the people using it than the people getting offended by it. How about you grow a thicker skin and deal as well as you dish? Pathetic.

What Proudfeet said.  Wow GWB, talk about an over reaction to typed words.

15 hours ago, Guess who's back said:

You...have to get your rocks off by "ironically" showing just how much you feel superior to them?  Wow dude, you're really the bigger person here.  'Grats on being rude for no reason, though, that's real cool.  

Nobody in the game you're specifically in started complaining about it.  You read about other people complaining about it, then decided to start being rude to completely unrelated people because you thought it was funny, which mostly just says things about you.  I've never once bitched about people being rude in Overwatch or, actually, anywhere else, and ignore ggez because eh, its nothing on me.  This is my first post on it, and really my first post on the general concept because I haven't played MP games with the chat window on in years.  If blizzard wants to make this a long-standing game with a decent atmosphere, they do need to pay attention to it.   I like playing games and having a decent time, and chilling with people being relaxed is a lot more fun than people deciding to be a dick for no reason.  I like climbing because complete strangers show up and will start yelling encouragement at you before a big move or giving you sympathy or tips when you fall.  Most of the time, high-level competitive fencing was pretty cool too, with people actively acknowledging  good hits and giving you compliments for it mid- or after the bout.  That's awesome, and a good, healthy atmosphere.  Hell, the time I got utterly steamrolled by an Olympian, he still gave me the courtesy of complimenting a touch of mine and telling me it was a good bout. And, on-strip, he wasn't letting anything go by easily, either.  He gave me the courtesy of beating the shit out of me efficiently and well.  Compare that to another guy I fenced who was also much better than me, who started dicking around and trying for trick shots, and then gave me the most dismissive handshake I can imagine.  And yeah, I was pissed, because I'd worked hard to get to that tournament and that match, and then someone who is just that much better than me is just dismissing all of that.  It sucked, and if that attitude was everywhere constantly, I don't think I'd have stuck with the sport for as long as I did.  There's ignoring things and then being confused and irritable when people decide to be assholes for no reason at all.  Just have fun and relax, man. Play the game, actively try to get better at it if you want to, and have fun, there's no need to worry about whether your opponents are thin-skinned or not.  

There's no reason not to be nice and polite to everyone, in everything, as much as you can.  

16 hours ago, Guess who's back said:

16 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I find myself often commenting on attitudes in competitive gaming / esports by referencing actual sports and in particular the most successful sports team in history: the New Zealand All Blacks. Their team culture is: practice humility, no dickheads, respect the opposition. Seems to work for them since over the course of a century they have a 76% win record. These seem to be the complete opposite to the "values" practised in online competitive gaming.

In the few sports I played, when I got my arse kicked my opponent always just shook my hand, and sometimes said good game. And when I kicked my opponents arse I was always respectful to them. It doesn't cost you anything to be a gracious winner. The sad thing is, half of the people who are extremely toxic on line would probably quiver and run away from you if you gave them a stern look irl. I guess some are also not used to winning at something and having to look the person they defeated straight in the face afterwards.  It helps a lot to learn a bit of moderation in speech when you win the game, but would definitely lose the after match fight. Or worse, their real life experience has mostly been on the receiving end of bullying, and so they take the opportunity of their gaming prowess to give some of it back to people they don't know.

Yes, it's one thing I dislike in online multiplayer communities. Too little sportmanship. Sure, not everyone acts like a dick, but they are very present, in some cases omnipresent. At best you get snide remakrs from these people, at worst abuse when they beat you. Similarily when you beat them, at best you get comments about how you only won because of X, or at worst learn that your mother was quite sexually active recently.

And while I personally have a thick skin and forget whatever those trolls say to me after a minute or two, that doesn't mean it's fine and we should just accept it because it's the internet. I feel that's a lazy excuse to do nothing and allow more of this rot to fester. Promoting a healthy, respectful community is a worthy goal. At some point, the developpers have to put their foot and make their game's community behave like adults if they insist on being a bunch of 12 years old. Sometimes they do so overzealously, but moderation is not a bad thing in and of itself, far from it.

22 hours ago, Guess who's back said:

You know whats not funny? Blizzard catering to the babies that actually feel offended by this. How about you grow a ticker skin and not get offended by a meaningless sentence on the internet? GG EZ is neither over the top offensive or bad.

Ahh, of course. Who else would be mad at Blizzard mocking arseholes in their game but those arseholes after all.

On 8/20/2016 at 0:28 PM, MerenthaClone said:

I don't think they're honestly trying to ban it so much as poke fun at people who type shit like that.  I mean, one of the things it word-filters to is "I'm wrestling with some insecurity issues right now, but thank you all for playing with me."  Its pretty clearly a joke rather than an honest attempt to force good manners on people. 

That is pretty good, but regardless trolling your opponent is a time-honoured tradition and I'm perfectly fine with people typing ggez or get rekt or whatever. I can't imagine playing a mature online game. :stillsick:

In my Attila campaign I'm stuck on how to kill Attila. I got the achievement but he keeps coming back, and whenever I send assassins after him he just gets 'wounded'. I read this should only happen three times but I've killed him in battle twice and gotten no message, and successfully 'wounded' him plenty of times. Who knows. 

Sent a lone army into Britain, controlled entirely by the Ebdanians and Picts. Had the most interesting battles in the campaign so far, generally defending small settlements with a battered army against their combined forces. Got the Heroic Defense achievement for beating a 20+ army with just the garrison, so yay. It was a combined land/naval attacked that they could've won if they landed inside the city, but they landed outside, massed their troops and then attacked. Almost all their cavalry got killed riding into a choke point manned by one unit of spearmen, and I tied up their infantry with a unit of axemen and a barricade in a little courtyard while my archers picked them off. Ended up landing my surviving naval units (two archer units) outside the walls and firing into their backs while cav charging any who turned around to fight them.

20 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

That is pretty good, but regardless trolling your opponent is a time-honoured tradition and I'm perfectly fine with people typing ggez or get rekt or whatever. I can't imagine playing a mature online game. :stillsick:

In my Attila campaign I'm stuck on how to kill Attila. I got the achievement but he keeps coming back, and whenever I send assassins after him he just gets 'wounded'. I read this should only happen three times but I've killed him in battle twice and gotten no message, and successfully 'wounded' him plenty of times. Who knows. 

Sent a lone army into Britain, controlled entirely by the Ebdanians and Picts. Had the most interesting battles in the campaign so far, generally defending small settlements with a battered army against their combined forces. Got the Heroic Defense achievement for beating a 20+ army with just the garrison, so yay. It was a combined land/naval attacked that they could've won if they landed inside the city, but they landed outside, massed their troops and then attacked. Almost all their cavalry got killed riding into a choke point manned by one unit of spearmen, and I tied up their infantry with a unit of axemen and a barricade in a little courtyard while my archers picked them off. Ended up landing my surviving naval units (two archer units) outside the walls and firing into their backs while cav charging any who turned around to fight them.

It occurs to me that I've never met Attila in the field... I've fought the Huns a few times as the Alans and Vandals but almost always make peace with them as the ERE by the time Attila is born. 

Anyways, I tried to take England in a Geats playthrough last week but my light troops couldn't handle the Roman and Britons heavy units so I gave up rather quickly.

1 hour ago, The Drunkard said:

Funnily enough it was those garrison battles that put me off Attila. So much of my time was spent playing the same battle over and over. Bit spammy, but just having a couple of infantry units on the choke points by the main square, and then just running round the back when the enemy crush into your main force. Same old stuff. It doesn't help that I rarely got many field battles happening in Rome or Attila, so many siege battles. 

Don't wanna keep coming back to it, but Warhammer sort of fixed that problem. Their seiges are far simplier and it really works, is a lot more fun. You don't find yourself running in circles around cities any more, playing wack a mole.

Major new Star Citizen video.

This shows someone moving seamlessly from a space station to jumping on a multi-crew starship, flying to a planet, landing randomly, getting out for a recce, and then flying into the spaceport to take up a mission. Then they fly to an asteroid belt and the guy jumps out of the ship and flies over to a wreck and then boards it. All without a single loading screen.

There is much, well-justified scepticism of what you can do in Star Citizen but this is downright incredible. And I wonder if there's a tiny bit of smugness that what Star Citizen can do is way, way, beyond what No Man's Sky is capable of.

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Funnily enough it was those garrison battles that put me off Attila. So much of my time was spent playing the same battle over and over. Bit spammy, but just having a couple of infantry units on the choke points by the main square, and then just running round the back when the enemy crush into your main force. Same old stuff. It doesn't help that I rarely got many field battles happening in Rome or Attila, so many siege battles. 

Don't wanna keep coming back to it, but Warhammer sort of fixed that problem. Their seiges are far simplier and it really works, is a lot more fun. You don't find yourself running in circles around cities any more, playing wack a mole.

It's the complete opposite for me, siege battles are one of my favourite parts in Attila. I find the layouts are interesting to play, the maps are varied (more than Medieval II anyway, which is all I've played), and the enemies are reasonably smart (again compared to Medieval II). The only downside is that the AI seem unwilling to attack walled settlements so usually I'm just playing in low-tier towns, but I can't blame them for being smart I suppose. 

I haven't played Warhammer but from what I've seen they look pretty repetitive, even the ones involving large armies?

5 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It occurs to me that I've never met Attila in the field... I've fought the Huns a few times as the Alans and Vandals but almost always make peace with them as the ERE by the time Attila is born. 

It's given me a deep loathing for horses and anyone who rides them. 

Weirdly I had a peace request from Attila, which I denied because I thought he'd betray me, but now I wish I had accepted just to see where all the Hun hordes would go as they're currently fixated on trying to take my regions in northern Italy.

Archived