Video Games: No Man's Pie

Werthead

5 hours ago, Cuellar said:

No PC, no play for me.  Fuck Square. 

Thinking about going and grabbing Fallout New Vegas, I ended up skipping that.  Will the graphics be too oldschool?  Have a month until Civ 6 comes out...

It looks pretty bad but it's a great game, and if you've played the first two then that shouldn't be a huge deal anyway. 

On 9/12/2016 at 11:15 PM, Corvinus said:

Yes, Warhammer runs much better than Attila. But right now my interest in Warhammer is not that high. I beat the game once with the Empire, but I can't quite find the drive to do a campaign with any other faction. I'm back playing Attila, with the Garamatians. 

I'm still keen to do a Greenskin, VC and Beastmen campaign (the latter when it drops in price) before I move on. In Attila I tried to start a few new campaigns but they all ended up feeling the same, aside from the Roman ones. 

eta: that's not fair actually, the Hun and Middle Eastern factions were distinct as well, but I just hate them.

58 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

It looks pretty bad but it's a great game, and if you've played the first two then that shouldn't be a huge deal anyway. 

I'm still keen to do a Greenskin, VC and Beastmen campaign (the latter when it drops in price) before I move on. In Attila I tried to start a few new campaigns but they all ended up feeling the same, aside from the Roman ones. 

eta: that's not fair actually, the Hun and Middle Eastern factions were distinct as well, but I just hate them.

The faction diversity is defintely Warhammer's greatest strength, and will only grow as they add factions. I really want to see a finished Bretonnia, as well as Skaven, Ogres and High Elves. The last one will wait a long time I assume, but the first three could be doable in the foreseeable future.

The funny part is, some mods (such as Radious units) IMO ruin this by giving Vampires skeleton archers, Greenskin Black Orc Archers, even cavalry to the Dwarves. 

11 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

I'll get it and play through it... but my hopes aren't too high.  I don't think I've thoroughly enjoyed a FF title since 10... I guess 12 was ok, but just ok.  13 lost me before I even got to the open-world.  I used to be a big fanboy of the franchise, but nowadays I think it's well into it's demise.  

So, in the FFVII remake we trust perhaps? Or do you expect them to screw that up?

Edit: When I say we, I mean you, because FF is not a franchise I'm invested in. Really just a passing interest.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So, in the FFVII remake we trust perhaps? Or do you expect them to screw that up?

Edit: When I say we, I mean you, because FF is not a franchise I'm invested in. Really just a passing interest.

Yes, I fully expect them to mess that up.

Fans have been wanting a shot by shot remake in HD with a cleaner translation for a decade now... And they are giving us an episodic game with none of the same gameplay.

In other news, it's four AM and I have two and a half hours to get some sleep after binging the last six hours to finish up Uncharted 4.  Lived up to the hype.  They really stuck the landing on that one.

7 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

The faction diversity is defintely Warhammer's greatest strength, and will only grow as they add factions. I really want to see a finished Bretonnia, as well as Skaven, Ogres and High Elves. The last one will wait a long time I assume, but the first three could be doable in the foreseeable future.

The funny part is, some mods (such as Radious units) IMO ruin this by giving Vampires skeleton archers, Greenskin Black Orc Archers, even cavalry to the Dwarves. 

Isn't Bretonnia supposed to be added as a free-DLC? Or did I just imagine that?

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I expect them to screw up the VII remake too... I'd love to just have a straight HD port with redone cutscenes... what little I've read about it though, it sounds like they're screwing with the story and gameplay.  Makes no sense to me 

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

Yep.  The best guess I've seen floating around is that they'll release a Wood Elf pack a la the Beastmen, then Bretonnia as the free race.  Somewhere in all that, they'll release a new Lore of Life set of caster paired with the Wood Elf release.  Their rough map features a new Lore both before and after the new free race, so whether the Wood Elves or Brets come first, I'm not sure, but they'll be fairly close together. The Brets kind of need the variety the elves might add (though the Beastmen help) or that area is just going to be mirror-matches against other Bret factions for awhile.  

So far they've said we're still getting two more Lores (one almost certainly Life), a new Race (Brets), and a new Hero and Legendary Lord for free.  Wood Elves are almost certainly the next paid pack, then a Grim/Grave style Greenskins/Dwarves pack.  By then, we might be looking at the big expansion, which might (this is much more speculation) be a focus on the High/Dark Elf conflict and the Skaven/Lizardmen fights, since those are somewhat related.  Ish.  It does give them a nice set of 4 races again.  If that's true, though, I don't know what they anchor the 3rd pack around.  Skaven might also be another campaign pack, since Skavenblight already exists on the current map.  They're a pretty popular faction, though, so using them to help sell a full expansion pack makes sense.  

e:  I suspect that one or both of the free LLs or Heroes will be paired with the hypothetical gobbo/dwarf expac, like Vlad and Grim&Grave

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

You did not, it is indeed supposed to be added later this year with new units, buildings, Lords, items, quests, to make it a full campaign faction.

Skaven are also among the most commonly rumored next factions. After Bretonnia (or maybe before?) we'll probably get Wood Elves, then another race next year. CA and SEGA plan to support the game for a long, long time.

3 minutes ago, Jasta11 said:

You did not, it is indeed supposed to be added later this year with new units, buildings, Lords, items, quests, to make it a full campaign faction.

Skaven are also among the most commonly rumored next factions. After Bretonnia (or maybe before?) we'll probably get Wood Elves, then another race next year. CA and SEGA plan to support the game for a long, long time.

Isn't this supposed to be the first in a trilogy? So I don't know how many more factions will be added just as DLCs to the present game. Bretonnia for sure as you said, and the Wood Elves. But the others, I don't know.

Or do we know if the sequel will have a different map or extend the current map?

20 hours ago, Cuellar said:

No PC, no play for me.  Fuck Square. 

Thinking about going and grabbing Fallout New Vegas, I ended up skipping that.  Will the graphics be too oldschool?  Have a month until Civ 6 comes out...

FFXV will definitely, 100%, be on PC as well. But it looks like it'll be later. Whether that's 6 months or a year we don't know, but it will show up at some point.

New Vegas is the best Fallout game of them all, so yes, most definitely, and the DLC as well.

Speaking of Fallout and such I've finally got around to playing Wasteland 2. Never played the original but had heard it was the inspiration to Fallout. It's pretty good so far, seems to lack some of the humor that Fallout has and some of the voice acting is really bad but other than that it's enjoyable.

That is the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut edition? It's supposed to be a lot stronger than the original release.

I really, thoroughly enjoyed Wasteland 2. Not sure why so many people seemed to have a problem with it, other than it was narratively a lot lighter than I was expecting. But certainly interesting enough to warrant finishing such a long game.

I liked Wasteland 2. One of the strongest elements is that aside from the big baddie the people and groups you had decide between were not straight up these are the good guys and these are the bad guys. Outside of anyone with a religious motivation, who were all pretty much unmitigated bad people. I think it could have been an amazing game if it has a stronger and more compelling narrative. I thought it was solid, but not a game I have any interest in playing through more than once. Glad I did play it though.

Much sadness playing WoW last night... I've said before that I used to be very active with the game.  My ex-wife and I were in a very active guild that was among the top 5 on our server.  When I ran instances, I usually had a guild group; but when I didn't it was usually my tank and her priest and we'd PUG some DPS to run with us.  When it comes to online groups, I hate to feel like I'm the guy holding back the group.  Its why I never did much group PvP in Destiny and part of why I haven't made time for random instances in WoW with my sporadic playing.

My family had gone to bed last night and I had some free time, so I thought I'd use the dungeon group finder tool to complete a questline that I have.  So I get on the Adventure Guide that Blizz provides in game and read up on the boss encounters. 

The instance was just a normal difficulty, but I go ahead and give a courtesy "This is my first time running this.  Have read up on bosses, if there's anything else I need to know; just let me know."  One guy responds "Dude its just a norm"

We head off and I'm pulling quickly and group tanking.  Never really felt at risk.  Get to the first boss and goes smoothly.  I move on to pull the next trash mob and start wondering why my health is dropping... then I notice that its just me and the guy who had responded to me.  The other three had dropped without saying a word.

My self-consciousness really flared up then and I felt like I had done something wrong...  :crying: 

I went back and did a longish solo quest chain after and didn't try to do the instance again.

On 9/13/2016 at 1:26 PM, Werthead said:

When he was good, he was good.

He hasn't been good since...WarCraft III? And I think even that's being generous.

He's had some good ideas since then too, but his writing has been atrocious. They needed to keep him higher up the chain and let better writers do the work.

Was still such a great hype man though and had a great attitude and enthusiasm. I'll kinda miss him even though hopefully the writing improves now.

27 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Isn't it common in online gaming for people to randomly drop?  I wouldn't take it so personally, but maybe I'm not understanding the context correctly as I've never done WoW... well not more than the free trial.

Eh, I'd expect some sort of notice if you're leaving a group. I haven't played WoW, but unless its the norm that people group up for a boss and disband immediately after, I think they should have at least said something. Maybe some people could have computer or net problems, but three of them? :dunno:

24 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Eh, I'd expect some sort of notice if you're leaving a group. I haven't played WoW, but unless its the norm that people group up for a boss and disband immediately after, I think they should have at least said something. Maybe some people could have computer or net problems, but three of them? :dunno:

Sometimes people will run just for a specific boss.  Dunno if this one had something they all wanted to get in and out for.  :dunno: 

I guess I won't try for any etiquette from here out.

Gamers, especially in PUGs, are a terribly impatient lot. It's even more pronounced in games like WoW where finding a new group is very streamlined. I would bet that you made some minor mistake - if you killed the first boss fine, most likely something as obvious as "You missed that hallway to the next guy", The other guys can be in a new group in 2 minutes, or type out a couple sentences to bring you up to speed. Plenty of people do the former. Or perhaps they were one group, and queue'd for pvp or something? C'est le jeu.

I'm currently playing the crap out of Path of Exile's new expansion and new league. The online community is very dominated by the online market and trading - but it's all done through automated web searches for items, a quick automated whisper to the trader, and maybe a "thx" if you're lucky. It's incredibly impersonal.

Archived