Video Games: No Man's Pie

Werthead

I suspect they simply had connection issues. There's been a lot of those recently. If they were upset with you they would've vote-kicked you out of the group and stayed together themselves. The queue times for DPS are far too long for them to just leave the group, and I'm pretty sure already existing, in-dungeon groups get priority for replacement players.

33 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Eh, I'd expect some sort of notice if you're leaving a group. I haven't played WoW, but unless its the norm that people group up for a boss and disband immediately after, I think they should have at least said something. Maybe some people could have computer or net problems, but three of them? :dunno:

I agree that it's nice and good etiquette to notify the group you're leaving... but it happens to us all the time.  Albeit I'm usually playing with my 7-year-old and the games we play online generally consist of a large player base that are children... so I'm used to it as the norm I guess.  

As I read more and more online, sounds like the normal dungeons are considered "faceroll" content.  So if I find myself with some time again tonight, I guess I'll just get in there and go.  :dunno: 

A Steam reviewer on the - apparently utterly shoddy - BioShock Remastered collection.

I am Kuzhov, and I’m here to ask you a question. Is a PC player not entitled to the well done port?
‘No!’ says the man in Sony, ‘It belongs to the PS4.’ ‘No!’ says the man in Microsoft , ‘It belongs to XB1.’ ‘No!’ says the man in 2K, ‘It belongs to consoles.’ I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose… other games, games where the player would not fear lack of FOV slider, where the settings tuner would not be bound by petty video settings, Where the great Master Race would not be constrained by the console peasants! And with well done PC ports, other games can become your favourites as well.

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

Much sadness playing WoW last night... I've said before that I used to be very active with the game.  My ex-wife and I were in a very active guild that was among the top 5 on our server.  When I ran instances, I usually had a guild group; but when I didn't it was usually my tank and her priest and we'd PUG some DPS to run with us.  When it comes to online groups, I hate to feel like I'm the guy holding back the group.  Its why I never did much group PvP in Destiny and part of why I haven't made time for random instances in WoW with my sporadic playing.

My family had gone to bed last night and I had some free time, so I thought I'd use the dungeon group finder tool to complete a questline that I have.  So I get on the Adventure Guide that Blizz provides in game and read up on the boss encounters. 

The instance was just a normal difficulty, but I go ahead and give a courtesy "This is my first time running this.  Have read up on bosses, if there's anything else I need to know; just let me know."  One guy responds "Dude its just a norm"

We head off and I'm pulling quickly and group tanking.  Never really felt at risk.  Get to the first boss and goes smoothly.  I move on to pull the next trash mob and start wondering why my health is dropping... then I notice that its just me and the guy who had responded to me.  The other three had dropped without saying a word.

My self-consciousness really flared up then and I felt like I had done something wrong...  :crying: 

I went back and did a longish solo quest chain after and didn't try to do the instance again.

Random froups in LFD are very hit and miss, I find, and very impersonal. People just queue to get their stuff done and get out. Any misstep, anything out of the ordinary, and at best you get comments, at worst people leave, sometimes with choice words.

It's why I prefer to make my own groups, either with guilds or via the manual group finder. People tend to chat more, are better skilled and stick around. Plus, my main has reached the Mythic dungeon ilvls and you can't queue for them, so I'm right where I want to be.

I honestly think that, as convenient as queueing for stuff is, it breeds a questionable attititude in many people that do them. They start to expect no challenge and nothing must disturb their routine. It's even worse in LFR, where the raid actually gets buffed if they wipe, so it ends up with half the group not giving a toss. They just wipe until the buff stacks high enough that they can kill the boss without paying any attention. I really dislike that kind of attitude. It's not a question of skill, but of giving the bare minimum of effort and attention, if only because you're not the only player in your group. This includes taking the time to help new players along.

Guild raiding fortunately solves most of these problems, although it comes with its own pitfalls in terms of adhering to a schdule and the good old guild drama that can ensue.

Just finished a replay of Dungeon Keeper (via GoG). Majestic, fantastic game, brilliantly designed with a surprisingly modern interface and a focus on pure gameplay. Astonishing it's twenty years old.

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

I was just paying a bit of Overwatch for the first time in a while. Marvel really needs to hire a decent developer to make a similar game. 

Eh?

Anyway, there are already 5 Marvel characters in Smite: Thor, Odin and Loki (current), and Hel (Hela) and Freya (Valkyrie, kind of) upcoming in Thor 3. :-D

28 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Eh?

Anyway, there are already 5 Marvel characters in Smite: Thor, Odin and Loki (current), and Hel (Hela) and Freya (Valkyrie, kind of) upcoming in Thor 3. :-D

I'm saying Marvel could probably make a lot of money by creating a game similar to Overwatch, but where you play as Marvel characters. 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm saying Marvel could probably make a lot of money by creating a game similar to Overwatch, but where you play as Marvel characters. 

Could possibly make decent money for a lot less effort (and risk of producing a crap game or one accused of copycatting that fails to get a decent user base) by licensing marvel skins for characters in games that are already successful and just take a 30-50% cut of each skin's sale.

They make less money, but then they do zero work for it. So possibly is a more financially sound thing to do.

18 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Could possibly make decent money for a lot less effort (and risk of producing a crap game or one accused of copycatting that fails to get a decent user base) by licensing marvel skins for characters in games that are already successful and just take a 30-50% cut of each skin's sale.

They make less money, but then they do zero work for it. So possibly is a more financially sound thing to do.

I guess, but having the option to play as Iron Man in Overwatch or Battleborn is not the same as playing a similar game where it's teams of only Marvel characters. I don't really think that being accused of copycatting would be an issue. But yeah, the game would have to not suck. 

I think if we are looking for an overwatch-type comparison then Battlefront is more apt. We have a long history of pretty good Star Wars games. Not sure the same can really be said about Marvel (or DC) games. Spider Man 2 maybe? I've not played any Marvel or DC games to any great extent. Probably amounts to less than 10 hours across all Marvel and DC games, 90% of which would be on Justice League Heroes.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think if we are looking for an overwatch-type comparison then Battlefront is more apt. We have a long history of pretty good Star Wars games. Not sure the same can really be said about Marvel (or DC) games. Spider Man 2 maybe? I've not played any Marvel or DC games to any great extent. Probably amounts to less than 10 hours across all Marvel and DC games, 90% of which would be on Justice League Heroes.

Honestly I'm not really sure how much comparisons to past licensed games that happen to be multiplayer matter? I feel like since the MCU really blew up most of it's licensed games have been of the LEGO variety? but maybe I missed one? 

A quality game in the vein of Overwatch/Battleborn set in the Marvel (Cinematic) universe would sell well. I want to go to there. That's all I was saying. 

Fuck, even the new Battlefront. Like sure it sucked, but you can't deny the first time you got to play as Vader/Luke/etc was AWESOME. Granted it wore thin pretty quick because the general gameplay was so thin. 

So I broke down and watched 5 hours of tutorials on how to play crusader kings 2, and I'm glad I did. I put all weekend into it, barely even watching College ball and with only two NFL games on in the background. I know I'm missing huge chunks of the game still, but I love it. I want to get the Charlemagne dlc, but if imma buy it it'll be with the 150 dollar collection and I need to make sure I like it enough for that kinda scratch.

36 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So I broke down and watched 5 hours of tutorials on how to play crusader kings 2, and I'm glad I did. I put all weekend into it, barely even watching College ball and with only two NFL games on in the background. I know I'm missing huge chunks of the game still, but I love it. I want to get the Charlemagne dlc, but if imma buy it it'll be with the 150 dollar collection and I need to make sure I like it enough for that kinda scratch.

That's ambition right there. Maybe one day I'll do it, but I have to find any good informative tutorials.

Crusader Kings II is the simplest Paradox game, and the one that sucked me in the most by far.

Best way to learn, I think, is to start as a King, but not a super powerful one. The bevy of vassals can make the game a chore. A Scandinavian realm (in 1066 at least) works best I think, your neighboors aren't very powerful unless the HRE wants a piece of you, which rarely happens. You have large groups of pagans nearby for the purpose of holy wars and expansion, you're far from any Mongol invasion (or Aztecs if you bought the silly DLC), and more importantly, you have Elective Monarchy inheritance from the get go, which is by far the easiest and safest so long as you keep your vassals in your pocket, which is kinda easy if you throw them gifts, honorary titles, and wait for the Long Reign bonus to kick in. EVentually I had most of my Kings at 75+ positive relationship with every vassal. I started as Denmark and had a blast.

Then you can try your hand at starting as a Duke and moving up the ladder to Kingship. France is a decent place for that, several powerful Dukes to choose from and it's fairly easy to weaken the central power unless the King is lucky and wins his almost inevitable first war with the HRE.

Keep in mind the above is written with experience from about 2 years ago. They may have changed the game a lot since then.

My problem is I'll watch the tutorials (I liked Quill18's videos) and be like "Yeah OK I understand what I am seeing" and then I start to try and actually play and somehow still feel lost and overwhelmed. It's information overload man. I'll just have to stick to games my puny mind can comprehend :P

---

Still progressing in Wasteland 2. Still digging it, but good lord it likes to waste my damn time. Traversing the map takes ages and with all the running back and forth between the same places and the random encounters that add nothing to the experience when you're at the world map level it's starting to get on my nerves a bit. 

7 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

My problem is I'll watch the tutorials (I liked Quill18's videos) and be like "Yeah OK I understand what I am seeing" and then I start to try and actually play and somehow still feel lost and overwhelmed. It's information overload man. I'll just have to stick to games my puny mind can comprehend :P

This is exactly how I feel. It doesn't matter where or with whom I start.

Archived