Video Games: No Man's Pie

Werthead

5 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Mostly I'm just looking forward to Dishonored 2. Planet Coaster, FFXV and The Last Guardian (assuming that actually comes out this year) might be cool too. Oh and Mafia 3. 

I'm trying to get excited about FFXV, but I haven't had any inspiration... help me out.  What about it excites you?

37 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm trying to get excited about FFXV, but I haven't had any inspiration... help me out.  What about it excites you?

Nothing about it 'entices' me really. I guess I just still have this vain hope that Squeenix will finally make another good one.

8 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Nothing about it 'entices' me really. I guess I just still have this vain hope that Squeenix will finally make another good one.

Even the run up to FFXIII had some awe inspiring shots.  I have yet to see anything about this one that invokes the sense of wonder that you got from panning over Midgar for the first time, airships going through gates in FFIX, or even watching a trio of pixelated Magitek Knights marching over a snowy field.

All I've seen here are some rejects from a 50's greaser gang driving around in a car. :( 

I was hoping you had something to get me into the game.

25 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I wonder at this point how many of the people who worked on the good Final Fantasies are still with the company. If this one bombs they should seriously consider just making XVI a really pretty 2D game and spend all the development money they save making it the best 2D RPG they can.

9 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That's Romans to the likes of you! You godless heathen!

Salerno is the true successor state to the Roman Empire. Or that's what the history books will read when the Daufingi Dynasty finishes writing them. Those wayward children ruling out of Constantinople will be brought to heel soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Even the run up to FFXIII had some awe inspiring shots.  I have yet to see anything about this one that invokes the sense of wonder that you got from panning over Midgar for the first time, airships going through gates in FFIX, or even watching a trio of pixelated Magitek Knights marching over a snowy field.

All I've seen here are some rejects from a 50's greaser gang driving around in a car. :( 

I was hoping you had something to get me into the game.

I kinda like the Kingdom Hearts style gameplay, although I wish they would just go back to the old school turn based style. What was wrong with that? 

Honestly I just wish Mistwalker would make another damn game. Lost Odyssey was the best Final Fantasy game since FFIX and Blue Dragon was pretty decent as well, but they've just done nothing but mobile games for the last five years. 

They announced Lost Odyssey was being added to the XBone's backward compatibility list and it's enough to make me almost wish I hadn't sold mine. I still have my copy of the game despite no longer owning a 360 or any other games for that console. By far and away my favorite 360 game. 

I'll give Final Fantasy XV a try at some point, but I thought the game looked better in the Versus XIII trailers.  Those felt more atmospheric.  Versus XIII and The Last Guardian were too huge reasons I chose PS3 over 360 even though Lost Odyssey looked amazing.  Didn't quite go as planned. 

Right now I tried playing Resident Evil 4, but talk about a no go.  Twenty minutes and I had to stop because of motion sickness.  Guess I'll have to stick to the original games. 

The fact that you can't just download the live action episodes for Quantum Break is fucking infuriating. I'm on the third episode and it's unwatchable because it has to buffer so much and keeps disconnecting from the streaming service. The console version allows you to download the videos and store them locally...why was this left out for the PC version? What a stupid decision. 

Finally, after all these years, I got to fight Necron and finish FFIX, which was immensely satisfying. Started Portal 2 today. Regarding FFXV, I don't mind that it isn't traditional or turn-based and am keeping my hopes up until I can play the game for myself though the sheer scale of it boggles my mind.

On a separate note am I the only one who feels that the term Byzantine is used to deny that the Eastern Roman Empire was well, Roman, particularly by western Europe, and gets annoyed by that?

On 9/30/2016 at 4:27 PM, briantw said:

Seems like the perfect game to wait until the price drops to ten bucks in a Steam sale.

Having now finished the game (it's quite short), this is pretty much spot on. 

Was enjoyable but $40 feels like too much still. But Littlefinger and Lt. Daniels gotta get paid I suppose. 

I know StarCraft isn't so big anymore, and here you guys might not have played/watched it in forever(or ever). But, today, history was made.

Neeb, a foreign, non-Korean Protoss player, qualified for a Korean tournament called KeSPA Cup, and won it with a 14-3 map score, not losing a single match against players used to be considered better than them. This is history! No foreign player won a Korean StarCraft tournament since Grrr.... won it in 2000 in BW, and no foreign player even got into the FINALS of a Korean tournament in StarCraft 2. He did it very dominantly, playing like he was, what we in the scene consider, one of the best Koreans. It's really amazing!

On 30/09/2016 at 7:44 PM, KiDisaster said:

I'm thinking about picking up Quantum Break now that it's been released on Steam. The Steam version, while still not a great port, has apparently improved performance quite a bit for Nvidia cards. 

Have any of you played it? Worth $40? 

I'm going to get it. Remedy are one of the most interesting, offbeat developers working in the industry, certainly in the AAA sphere, and make splendid, smart games that are usually fun even when they fall short of their expectations. They also have a weird, Finnish sense of humour that makes their games feel a lot more self-deprecating and winking at the audience that they're as bored of AAA bullshit shooters as you are and are trying to mix things up a bit.

They also perfected action and gunplay in the first two Max Payne games and virtually no game has come close to that ever since (Rockstar's Max Payne 3 made a half-decent fist of it though). And Alan Wake is incredibly underrated. A very clever game, much-improved when you realise that Wake is supposed to be a god-awful hack bullshit novelist rather than the literary stylist he clearly thinks he is.

The fact that you can't just download the live action episodes for Quantum Break is fucking infuriating. I'm on the third episode and it's unwatchable because it has to buffer so much and keeps disconnecting from the streaming service. The console version allows you to download the videos and store them locally...why was this left out for the PC version? What a stupid decision. 

I believe it's because the PC version is a masive install anyway and including the videos would take it to over 100 GB (!!!). Although they could have still offered the option for the hardcore.

Archived