Video Games: No Man's Pie

Werthead

8 hours ago, Ruhail said:

Whom, would you say are more lazy:

1) Bungie

2) Bethesda

3) Rockstar

That's a weird selection. Why do you ask?

All three of those companies make very large and graphically intense games and are interested in pushing things forward. Of the three you might say that Bungie are only making FPS games, which are smaller in scale and scope than open-world games like Rockstar and Bethesda, but they do require a huge amount of work and artistry to make.

Rockstar you'd never call lazy in a million years. You can criticise their games, but there is no doubt that the sheer amount of work and attention to detail that went into GTA5 is absolutely staggering beyond belief. Even if you don't like that style of game, it's a genuinely impressive technical and artistic achievement.

Bethesda put a huge amount of content and design into their games. You could argue that their constant recycling of a 14-year-old engine and their increasing dumbing-down of genuine RPG elements between each game is a problem, but there's still a huge amount of work that goes into each game.

I'd say someone like the makers of the Call of Duty games are lazier, and even they've tried to change things up a bit more with the last couple of games.

Valve? Nine years since the last Half-Life game ended on a titanic cliffhanger and no sign of a sequel, whilst they mess around with dull MOBAs and rake in the cash from Steam.

I think this recent criticism of Rockstar being "lazy" is due to an image that got a ton of attention on Reddit a week or two ago. It showed a timeline of Rockstar released, with at least one game or major expansion coming out each year (whether they developed it themselves or just published it) right up until GTA5 in 2013. Bearing the title "The exact moment Rockstar discovered micro-transactions" or something like that.

Bit silly if you ask me. I'm sure they're working on the next game. 

ETA: Found the picture: http://imgur.com/f9LzxNQ

9 hours ago, Ruhail said:

Whom, would you say are more lazy:

1) Bungie

2) Bethesda

3) Rockstar

Valve.  They don't even bother making games any more and make most of their money selling skins created by their fans and games made by their competitors.  I mean, it's smart and they are fucking loaded right now, but it's also insanely lazy.

Of the three, Bethesda is probably the laziest, but none are particularly bad and all spend more of their effort on content instead of graphical fidelity (though Rockstar does both very well). 

EA Sports is probably the laziest thing in existence.

I'd agree. Fallout 4 is a splendid action game with dialogue options, if that's all you're after. But it's not an RPG, and the level of depth and reactivity in the game was feeble after New Vegas.

2 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I think this recent criticism of Rockstar being "lazy" is due to an image that got a ton of attention on Reddit a week or two ago. It showed a timeline of Rockstar released, with at least one game or major expansion coming out each year (whether they developed it themselves or just published it) right up until GTA5 in 2013. Bearing the title "The exact moment Rockstar discovered micro-transactions" or something like that.

Bit silly if you ask me. I'm sure they're working on the next game. 

ETA: Found the picture: http://imgur.com/f9LzxNQ

Rockstar games tend to be big, massive projects. Between stuff they were publishing themselves and for other people, they pretty much lucked out that things fell the way they did timeline-wise, plus they massively rushed Red Dead Redemption with damaging consequences for how it was coded.

Given the 4-5 year turn around for their games I suspect we'll see something next year (either the rumoured Red Dead Retribution or Max Payne 4, although the latter seems unlikely due to the meh performance of MP3) and then GTA6 in 2018 or 2019. My only worry is that Rockstar have spent way too much time on the DLC for GTA5 and still haven't fully started on 6, but that seems unlikely.

I'd definitely say Valve is lazy now. They support DOTA 2, TF2 and CS:GO alright, but they also make untold million off Steam and have a very lazy, hands-off approach to it, which resulted in the platform being flooded beyond belief by shovelware. But they don't care, they just count their cash now.

Bethesda, I wouldn't say is lazy, but they're... I hesitate to use the word incompetent since after all their games do sell massively and have a very devoted fanbase, but they just don't do anythng really good. If you ask me. Used to be, you could say they made the best open worlds, but that's not even true anymore, even freaking Bioware made a better one by my reckoning. So at best you could say their games have great mods, and that's mostly not even on them.

Yeah, Skyrim got a bit of a pass because no-one was really making games like that, but post-GTA5 and especially post-Witcher III, Fallout 4 felt very lacking.

Given Valve's organizational structure, they aren't really lazy so much as it appears no one is really interested in making HL3.

I think Valve got obsessed with the idea of needing to do something bleeding-edge and innovative with the game, to compare with physics and the gravity gun in HL3, and they haven't got a clue what do for that in HL3.

Most fans don't care, of course. We just want to know WTF happened to the Aurora and Mossman and Alyx and Gordon, and what's going on with the Combine and G-Man, and if they tie that in with Chell's fate from Portal 2 that's okay as well. If Valve are going to leave behind SP games for good, they should really go all-in on a big farewell to the series.

I think Fallout 4 is actually really good, if you play it in a certain way. You can either play it as a more involved action shooter /rpg, which gives a pretty shallow experience. Or you can play it on survival mode, and actually put yourself into the position of someone who is genuinely trying to survive the wasteland. I think in that way Fallout 4 is almost a brilliant game. It falls down once you starting doing missions and buy into its linear storytelling. It can be quite sandboxy if you let it. Thats not to say that its not horribly flawed in some ways.

In that way I think that there are glimmers of good intentions from Bethesda, they get a lot of grief, a lot of it justified, but in survival mode I can see the game they sort of wanted to make. 

Things have gotten bad for the game that inspired this thread title... Last week, the active player count for No Man's Sky dropped below a 1,000 players on Steam.

And now comes the cherry on top... UK Advertising Standards Authority is investigating both Valve and Hello Games for deceptive advertising practices.

After No Man's Sky released in August for the PlayStation 4 and PC, there were claims  from fans of false advertisement perpetuated by the game's creator Sean Murray. False advertisement wasn't the only complaint, there were also bugs that caused quite a few players either refunding the game or simply quit playing.

Even Sony's President believes that No Man's Sky was overpromised by its creator. Throughout all of this, the No Man's Sky developers have been silent - they have yet to comment on claims.

While no details on the ASA's investigation into have been revealed, one No Man's Sky player has detailed the ASA's response to their complaint. 

According to Redditor AzzerUK, both the No Man's Sky developer, Hello Games, and Valve have a joint responsibility and are both being investigated.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, Skyrim got a bit of a pass because no-one was really making games like that, but post-GTA5 and especially post-Witcher III, Fallout 4 felt very lacking.

I think Valve got obsessed with the idea of needing to do something bleeding-edge and innovative with the game, to compare with physics and the gravity gun in HL3, and they haven't got a clue what do for that in HL3.

Most fans don't care, of course. We just want to know WTF happened to the Aurora and Mossman and Alyx and Gordon, and what's going on with the Combine and G-Man, and if they tie that in with Chell's fate from Portal 2 that's okay as well. If Valve are going to leave behind SP games for good, they should really go all-in on a big farewell to the series.

Pretty sure they themselves don't have a clue, to be quite honest. They threw that stuff together and don't seem to have much of an idea what to do with it.

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

guys im so sorry for the shameless self promotion and im not even funny but i made a vine about Oblivion and thought some people in here might appreciate it 

Ha! That's awesome.

First mod I download whenever I peroidically reinstall Oblivion is the "no psychic guards" one. :P 

Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game. I loved it back in the day, but sadly I find that it's the weakest of the 3 ES games post Morrowind. The setting is too generic, the voice acting bland apart from a few parts, the main quest is a bore, the level scaling's design is ridiculous, the combat not very interesting, it just doesn't do it for me in hindsight. Yes, yes, mods, but a game shouldn't require mods to start being good. New Vegas, Morrowing and Skyrim didn't.

It does have a nice magic system and a few amazing quests, mostly in the Thieve's Guild and Dark Brotherhood lines. I also liked finding the Aelid (sp?) statues for that elf.

i actually don't play oblivion with mods and never have and i absolutely love it :):) i LOVE the voice acting, i honestly love all the voices they make me so happy hahahaha theyre so familiar and funny and although the main questline is not my fave i just think a lot of the random easter eggs and side quests are bloody brilliant 

Archived