‘Ocean’s 8’: the female-driven caper spinoff

AncalagonTheBlack

The cast has been announced and wow!! Waiting for the incoming backlash!! :D

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has firmed an October start date in New York for Ocean’s Eight, the female-driven caper spinoff directed by Gary Ross, and the studio is closing with its principal cast. Aside from the previously identified Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett, deals are close with Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling and Awkwafina. The latter is the hip-hop moniker of Asian-American rapper and actress Nora Lum, who most recently had a role in Neighbors 2.

The picture is still casting — the firmed roster so far falls one shy of the title — and there is every possibility for cameos from the stars of the original trilogy

http://deadline.com/2016/08/oceans-eight-rihanna-anne-hathaway-sandra-bullock-cate-blanchett-awkwafina-helena-bonham-carter-mindy-kaling-1201801342/

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

its a bit of a myth that Ghostbusters was so disliked 

People were trashing that movie based on a trailer and without having seen the movie. So I don't think it was a 'myth'. Granted, the movie wasn't that good either, but there was certainly an element on shitting on the movie because of the an all female cast and the trailer. 

I don't find it cynical at all, I'm all for it. There are more than enough films made by and for white dudes. It's just a shame that Soderbergh isn't directing. 

16 minutes ago, Raja said:

People were trashing that movie based on a trailer and without having seen the movie. So I don't think it was a 'myth'. Granted, the movie wasn't that good either, but there was certainly an element on shitting on the movie because of the an all female cast and the trailer. 

I don't find it cynical at all, I'm all for it. There are more than enough films made by and for white dudes. It's just a shame that Soderbergh isn't directing. 

It was an awful trailer, in almost every way and is seemingly quite reflective of the movie too. That is the real reason the movie is disliked and has been from the beginning. However that narrative is not good for the studios, who are happy to push the story that its because of misogyny, because it lets them off the hook and gets people to defend the movie for moral reasons.

Again Ghostbusters being a female only cast isn't a problem, but it too seemed like a cynical move to grab headlines, and wasn't an organic extension of the ghostbusters universe. 

I can see the same thing happening here. 

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

However that narrative is not good for the studios, who are happy to push the story that its because of misogyny

I don't think you have been paying enough attention to the story if the above post is seriously your opinion on the matter. You call it a cynical move? I don't agree at all, but who the fuck cares - If it's a step in making movies a bit more diverse, then I'm all for it. 

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

I don't think you have been paying enough attention to the story if the above post is seriously your opinion on the matter. You call it a cynical move? I don't agree at all, but who the fuck cares - If it's a step in making movies a bit more diverse, then I'm all for it. 

Yeah, I am not buying it... With the movies like Ghostbusters, we get more diverse "numbers" just like Disney/Marvel are doing the best to promote "Black Panther" as 90% African/African-American movie. It is all about PR and showing that all-mighty liberal Hollywood is more progressive than it actually is. But, essentially, it doesn't change anything.

So, yeah, we start applauding Hollywood for "diversification" but in fact they are not solving the issue. Not even by far.

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

Why haven't I been paying attention? It is my opinion. The vast majority of people criticising the Ghostbusters movies did so because it looked crappy, with bad effects and terrible humour. Anyone complaining about women were in a huge minority.. but that was the narrative the studio wanted to push. 

K. 

My hopes are not high because reboots, as a general rule, are ass water. I love the Oceans trilogy though (yes, I am fully aware that Oceans 11 was a remake/reboot) so I'd really like this to be good. 

2 hours ago, Risto said:

So, yeah, we start applauding Hollywood for "diversification" but in fact they are not solving the issue. Not even by far.

I'm not saying that it's completely solved the issue, but the fact that we're seeing it makes me think that it's possible to change the norm in hollywood at some point. Those are signs of hope as opposed to declarations that Hollywood is okay the way it is ( which I didn't state to begin with, neither did I 'applaud' them for diversification) 

*Anyway* 

I'm still looking forward to this - I'm not completely sold on the director though, I wonder if they even tried to get Soderbergh back. Hope the movie does well. 

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Why haven't I been paying attention? It is my opinion. The vast majority of people criticising the Ghostbusters movies did so because it looked crappy, with bad effects and terrible humour.

What? How is a fact an opinion? Either a majority of people criticized the trailer for looking like shit, or they didn't. There is no room for opinion here.

You grossly underestimate the amount of man hate that trailer got. It's not the most disliked video on youtub because its a shit trailer of a shit movie. There are 18,000,000,000 shitty trailers on youtube. The sad truth is a LOT of men railed against the all female cast, and if you need proof read the comments on youtube. search out some 4chan forums. 

1 minute ago, Relic said:

What? How is a fact an opinion? Either a majority of people criticized the trailer for looking like shit, or they didn't. There is no room for opinion here.

You grossly underestimate the amount of man hate that trailer got. It's not the most disliked video on youtub because its a shit trailer of a shit movie. There are 18,000,000,000 shitty trailers on youtube. The sad truth is a LOT of men railed against the all female cast, and if you need proof read the comments on youtube. search out some 4chan forums. 

This is very good and sums up my views perfectly.

I'm all for being more diverse, but things like this seem more like a cash grab based on a recent trend than an actual attempt to make movies (and other forms of media) more diverse.

I think I'm more saturated by it because I'm also a comics reader and it just seems to have been the big trend there for a while now.

I'm not a huge fan of studios doing the 'female/black/asian/lgbt version of xyz', but they certainly need to keep doing it until bigots stop doing things like deny the existence of bigotry or saying that actual attempts to make entertainment more diverse is just a trend.  We women or people of color or queer folk aren't fucking trends.  We actually exist and we should be allowed to see ourselves reflected on the screen without the straight white male population praying it's a trend that will end soon.  

Shame on you.  You should be hoping that we don't go back to a time when these groups of people weren't well represented.

Sure. I'm on board. The originals (and the original originals with the Sinatra and co.) were just trashy fun, and I've got no problem with trashy fun franchises getting new entries (so long as its not a damn reboot). 

Its not necessarily the cast I'd have gone with, but I assume Sandra Bullock is Ocean, and she's almost always great. 

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Its not necessarily the cast I'd have gone with, but I assume Sandra Bullock is Ocean, and she's almost always great. 

I'm not sure about that, I think Blanchett could probably be Ocean too? I'm pretty excited about Helena Bonham Carter & Anne Hatheway, the former should *definitely* be the Elliot Gould character. 

14 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The cast has been announced and wow!! Waiting for the incoming backlash!! :D

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has firmed an October start date in New York for Ocean’s Eight, the female-driven caper spinoff directed by Gary Ross, and the studio is closing with its principal cast. Aside from the previously identifiedSandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett, deals are close with Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling and Awkwafina. The latter is the hip-hop moniker of Asian-American rapper and actress Nora Lum, who most recently had a role in Neighbors 2.

The picture is still casting — the firmed roster so far falls one shy of the title — and there is every possibility for cameos from the stars of the original trilogy

http://deadline.com/2016/08/oceans-eight-rihanna-anne-hathaway-sandra-bullock-cate-blanchett-awkwafina-helena-bonham-carter-mindy-kaling-1201801342/

Yes, there will be backlash - the director is still a man. :P

Also, I can't wait for the obligatory sexist jokes as to why they went with 8, and not 11.

Archived