Which Non-Plot Changing Mystery Are You Most Interested In?

Maxxine

So there are a lot of important mysteries in this book that have the potential to drastically change the plot (RLJ, Where's Benjen?, Where's Tyrek?, Is Aegon really Aegon?, etc). But there are also some smaller mysteries that won't be plot changing but still have some level of intrigue. These are the ones that potentially will never be answered and just left to the imagination, but I still find them interesting. The ones I am most interested in is:

1) What happened to Weasel, the little girl who was with Arya for a while and got away when Arya was caught by the Mountain's men. As much as I not a big proponent of symbolism, I can acknowledge the obvious symbolism in this case. Weasel wasn't meant to be a secondary or even a third-tier character; just symbolizes Arya's loss of childhood and innocence (one of the saddest moments in the books imo). But anyway I still want to know what happened to Weasel. One sentence about a weasel faced girl being at the Crossroads Inn with the other orphan children would make me happy. 

2) Lewyn Martell's paramour. It's a throwaway comment by Barristan, but I'm curious.

Those are the two I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are others.

1. What happened to Hal Mollen and Ned's bones?

2. Is Marillion dead or still in the sky cells?

3. What are the Mountain Clans up to?

But to me the king of all "mysteries that don't at all matter to the plot" is and always has been Ned Stark's mother.  Now we know she was a Stark cousin, at least, but where did the Skagosi blood come from? It's just very odd to me that she's never even mentioned by name outside of a WOIAF family tree graphic.

31 minutes ago, estermonty python said:

But to me the king of all "mysteries that don't at all matter to the plot" is and always has been Ned Stark's mother.  Now we know she was a Stark cousin, at least, but where did the Skagosi blood come from? It's just very odd to me that she's never even mentioned by name outside of a WOIAF family tree graphic.

How could I forget this one?!? I made a whole thread about this a few months back. This definitely should have been number one!! It's definitely odd that we pretty much know about the fates of everyone's parents (or at least rumors of their fates in the case of Jon) and Ned's mother is never mentioned, not even to just say she's dead. It's like Rickard just made those 4 kids by himself.

9 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

How could I forget this one?!? I made a whole thread about this a few months back. This definitely should have been number one!! It's definitely odd that we pretty much know about the fates of everyone's parents (or at least rumors of their fates in the case of Jon) and Ned's mother is never mentioned, not even to just say she's dead. It's like Rickard just made those 4 kids by himself.

I was convinced for so long that the Skagosi thing was super important, that it was central to why Rickon was going there, that Ned's mother ran away from Rickard or was stolen back to Skagos, that it was going to be this whole important thing...

But then GRRM did an interview and said "if Ned's mother were important you'd at least know her name."

Oh well.

If this were a long running tv show without source material, adding ned's mother as a character would totally be a thing that happened in a later season after most of the principal characters had been killed off, to give the survivors something to do and stall for time.

Hey, wait a minute...

12 minutes ago, estermonty python said:

I was convinced for so long that the Skagosi thing was super important, that it was central to why Rickon was going there, that Ned's mother ran away from Rickard or was stolen back to Skagos, that it was going to be this whole important thing...

But then GRRM did an interview and said "if Ned's mother were important you'd at least know her name."

Oh well.

If this were a long running tv show without source material, adding ned's mother as a character would totally be a thing that happened in a later season after most of the principal characters had been killed off, to give the survivors something to do and stall for time.

Hey, wait a minute...

I didn't know about this quote. But it's still weird. This man will give us the backstory of a prostitute's dead uncle who lived in a small village outside of Riverrun during the the reign the Mad King (intentional exaggeration) but never mentions the mother of a person who was arguably the "main character" in Game. 

I was with you though. I openly acknowledged that it could mean nothing, but had hopes that it was a little significant. At the very least some interesting backstory of why she's never mentioned.

What book did Roose Bolton burn at Harrenhal?

Roose Bolton was seated by the hearth reading from a thick leatherbound book when she entered. "Light some candles," he commanded her as he turned a page. "It grows gloomy in here."
She placed the food at his elbow and did as he bid her, filling the room with flickering light and the scent of cloves. Bolton turned a few more pages with his finger, then closed the book and placed it carefully in the fire. He watched the flames consume it, pale eyes shining with reflected light. The old dry leather went up with a whoosh, and the yellow pages stirred as they burned, as if some ghost were reading them. "I will have no further need of you tonight," he said, never looking at her.

I read that the history of the Summer Islands is carved on their trees and only high nobility knows it, and they are very reluctant to talk about it. It's like one of those locks Martin put in the Worldbook to prevent us to know further, haha. I can think about Yi Ti written history that they just don't share with foreigners, that could easily explain what the heck was the Empire of the Dawn. The Bones, too, since it is a giant wall that prevented free passage between the east and further east.

Anyways, about the Summer Islands history, we have one summer islander prince, Jalabhar Xo who nominally knows all that shit. But he's in the black cells now. He dies and any further potential approach to Summer Islands lore will be lost.

Those aren't exactly mysteries but. . .

What were Jaime's thoughts from the time he punched Red Ronnet until he sent him away? Did he stop to think why he was so angry? (Okay, probably not.) Did he tell him in person that he's banished, or did he have someone do it?

Did Tyrion actually have sex with Illyrio's slave? That would be one of the worst things he ever did. If I remember correctly, he says it's been a long time in the brothel where he meets Jorah, so maybe he didn't, but I'm not sure.

Tansy and Hoster Tully love story.

The whereabouts of weasel, Tysha and Tytos Lannister's former mistress.

Why is Urswyck "faithful" ?

What happened to Tyrek ?

What does Lady Mellario do in Norvos ?

Is Shagga still in the Kingswood ?

Who will Peckledon squire for ?

Did Balon Swann knew anything about the assassination attempt on Tyrion during the Blackwaters ?

Where is Aegon Targaryen crown ? And did Valyrian steel crown useful in anything ?

4 hours ago, Maxxine said:

1) What happened to Weasel, the little girl who was with Arya for a while and got away when Arya was caught by the Mountain's men. As much as I not a big proponent of symbolism, I can acknowledge the obvious symbolism in this case. Weasel wasn't meant to be a secondary or even a third-tier character; just symbolizes Arya's loss of childhood and innocence (one of the saddest moments in the books imo). But anyway I still want to know what happened to Weasel. One sentence about a weasel faced girl being at the Crossroads Inn with the other orphan children would make me happy. 

Nice Post.  I have always wondered the same thing.  The realist in me would say, with all the carnage in the Riverlands, she is most likely dead.  However, the last part of that, I feel the same way.

3 hours ago, Balerion's Whiskers said:

Where is Gerion Lannister and where do whores go?

Did Gerion find Brightroar in Valyria and decide he'd rather not return to the Rock and do we ever see Tysha, or learn what happened to her.

Many people think that she may be "The Sailor's Wife", the whore in Braavos with the daughter named Lanna.

From the Wiki:  Lanna is a young prostitute at the Happy Port whorehouse in Braavos. Merry charges three times as much for Lanna as other whores. She is the pretty fourteen year old daughter of the Sailor's Wife and has fine long golden hair.

Tyrion was born in 273. Tysha and Tyrion were together when he was 13 years old, or in 286.  Lanna was born in 286.  A pretty strong suggestion, methinks.  More than that, I don't think we will ever get a definitive answer on that subject, unless GRRM reveals it outside of the text.

1 minute ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

Many people think that she may be "The Sailor's Wife", the whore in Braavos with the daughter named Lanna.

Yes, I've seen that theory and it very well may be right, but right now there's no proof. I agree that pretty little Lanna is most likely Tyrion's, but until GRRM says it is so, we just don't have any evidence other than the date and name.

6 minutes ago, Balerion's Whiskers said:

Why would he feel the need to burn that? Chances are, their family histories are public knowledge.  It is definitely a mystery that I've wondered about for years though.

I have a new theory actually, that's too much of a tangent to go into here.  I think the book says there are dragon eggs in Winterfell.

Archived